Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2009, 6:44 am

Hey to everybody

Started medical school yesterday & had a ton of subjects to go over however, it's been good so far we'll see. I'll try to keep this thread updated

I'm not evil I just have a different view of good

wrongthinking
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm

8O
Best of luck to you... It'll get worse. :wink:

"Ow... What the?! !" -Sir Isaac Newton

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2009, 7:58 am

That's true it'll get worse before it gets better but then again worthwhile things in life are like that

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 12:19 pm

Im so glad its going well and you got on the course ok.

I was thinking of you and hoping it was going well

:D :D :D

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2009, 5:42 pm

Thanks Lotusblossom

It's going fine for the first part however, this is the first week I'll see my state of mind after the first major exam coming up in February

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 9:26 pm

Hey Dark_Mage, I thinking about entering medical school. So let me how the training in medical school is going. Good luck.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2009, 6:31 am

It's a lot of work (lot of studying & that's just week 1) It's going good so far (I say so far because our first major exam is coming up in February). I'm at a Caribbean medical school (they start 3 times a year) so I don't have to deal with winter now but I have to adjust to living in another country so it's all how one adjusts

DrPhil92
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2009, 8:02 pm

I just wanted to say that you have given me hope Dark_Mage. Though just a junior in high school, I dream of getting into medical school and becoming a successful doctor. I am still however skeptical about this career choice because of my being diagnosed with Aspergers, but seeing your post on the boards has given me hope. :)

By the way, If you dont mind me asking, is your medical school St Georges? I have heard great things about this school.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2009, 8:54 pm

DrPhil92 wrote:
I just wanted to say that you have given me hope Dark_Mage. Though just a junior in high school, I dream of getting into medical school and becoming a successful doctor. I am still however skeptical about this career choice because of my being diagnosed with Aspergers, but seeing your post on the boards has given me hope. :)

By the way, If you dont mind me asking, is your medical school St Georges? I have heard great things about this school.

Hey DrPhil

No it is Ross University a school that is also well known in the US. Now just because you have asperger's syndrome does not necessarily disqualify you from being a doctor however, I would suggest that you volunteer in a hospital setting (be sure to explain that you have asperger's or have your parents help you out with this). This way if in the future you truly wish to pursue medicine you will know for sure because of your hospital experience. I myself do not have asperger's per say but I do prefer to be solitary & when I have an interest in anything I become immersed in it & if I hate something I won't pursue it. But don't lose hope & finish high school first :)

zeppelin123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2009, 4:14 am

I hope you enjoy medical school. My brother is a med student at the University of Calgary and loves it.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2009, 11:58 am

I'm enjoying it so far but we'll see actually in histology lab as I type this but then again it is going good so far (until the first exam)

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2009, 3:40 pm

Hey everybody

Just got through my first medical school exam. I think I did well but we'll see. Tonight is a night to relax & then back to work but hopefully I didn't screw this one up

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2009, 6:52 pm

Well here is the update

The first medical school exam did well in two subjects (biochemistry & DPS) ok in another (anatomy) & failed one (histology)

Then came the lab exams & I somehow managed to fail both even with studying hard for them (yes I know I'm being hard on myself but that's just me) & here is the best part. Study groups don't work for me because others do better & I fail so I'm going to stop that for good. Either that or become so introverted that I become termed anti-social we'll see (but hey if that gets me my goal then so much the better because after school is over nobody cares about you anymore)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm

Hey, if you're not an Aspie what are you? Would you be interested in being a doctor in an Aspie commune?

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2009, 3:12 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Hey, if you're not an Aspie what are you? Would you be interested in being a doctor in an Aspie commune?

When I say that I'm not an aspie that means I haven't been diagnosed with Asperger's however...I'd describe myself as someone who has certain characteristics of the condition (or that seems that way to me). 1) Needing time for solitude (though I can socialize but I prefer small groups not a party person). 2) When I'm interested in a subject I really get interested & when I can't see the practical side of a subject (or just hate it) nothing can make me learn it even if I have to. As for being a doctor in an aspie commune I don't know I mean I volunteered at a summer camp for children 6-12 with autism/asperger's syndrome at a local university last year so I wouldn't mind it but I can work better with older aspies. I hope that wasn't long winded (By the way I've been told that I have the personality type for medicine ISTJ (Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 7:55 pm

Then have ou thought of being a doctor specializing in geriatrics?

You can be that in the commune...