Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

I'm 29 and sadly after having disability for 8 years was taken off mainly due to them seeing since I got a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice I could function "socially" apparently. They dismissed my stories of meltdowns and physical limitations 100% was OMG! social enough to get a degree GET A JOB! :-( I held a Mcdonald's job (before the disability before AS diagnosis too). and it was stress/anxiety depression etc. Shift ends in 5 min. here's a list of 50 things to do. Part time 3 or more days a week I'd come home depressed tired go to bed and go to work the following day AWFUL!

Now I HAVE to look for a job and have some ideas but was wanting to ask WP. My therapist mention Publix helps people with disabilities so thought that may be an angle or a CVS pharmacy on the floor stocking or whatever they are small stores so I could use my visual Aspie brain to map out the whole store LoL!

I've also considered a job center at the college to try to find something in my chosen field. So has anyone here worked part time and where and how did you cope? NO Walmart is PSYCHO! and NO FAST FOOD EVER AGAIN!

Also if I can reach my cousin I believe she knows of some work from home online company IF/WHEN I ever get contact with her! :-) Thanks WP any suggestions? (Yes I chose CJ a social field vs. the usual "techy" Aspie computer non social stuff! ARGGGG!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:02 pm

I can't remember if my first job was the military or being an inventory counter. I don't recommend the former, but the latter might be ok for you if you don't mind boring, repetitive jobs and being on your feet for hours.

I had to pass an arithmetic test to be hired. Each person on the team was assigned a shelf in the store and had to count the items and add up the monetary value of everything on that shelf using some sort of handheld device (like an oversized calculator), which the company provided. We had to travel to different stores (there was a van that picked up some of us, and the employee who drove was paid extra), and typically worked late in the middle of the night, while the stores were closed. I remember that working in the frozen food section was unpleasant because I had to constantly be holding the cold food, which made my hands ache.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:12 pm

My first "real" job was as a book stacker/clerk at a medical library in Elmhurst, NY. I was 18 years old. This was 1979. It was for the "Summer Youth Employment Program."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Apr 2015, 3:18 am

My 1st job was a dish-washer at IHOP. My OCD was a strength with cleaning but I really wouldn't recommended that job to Aspies sense there was alot of pressure when things were busy.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2015, 3:54 am

I also have a degree, but have trouble utilizing it. My first job was at Wal-Mart.

I worked as a cashier for six months on the day shift, which was pretty much hell. I saw people all the time, and most of them were crazy. I stuck it out, and as soon as I could, I went to the night shift. I loved it. I stocked shelves for a few years, then went to a register at night, then to CSM at night.

I highly suggest sticking with the night shift for Aspies if you have to work in a major retailer, fast food restaurant, gas station, public place, hospital etc. Especially if you're in a smaller town. It is such a different world from working days.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 9:41 am

Eternity29 wrote:
I also have a degree, but have trouble utilizing it. My first job was at Wal-Mart.

I worked as a cashier for six months on the day shift, which was pretty much hell. I saw people all the time, and most of them were crazy. I stuck it out, and as soon as I could, I went to the night shift. I loved it. I stocked shelves for a few years, then went to a register at night, then to CSM at night.

I highly suggest sticking with the night shift for Aspies if you have to work in a major retailer, fast food restaurant, gas station, public place, hospital etc. Especially if you're in a smaller town. It is such a different world from working days.

Sadly working night shift isn't an option was planning early morning done by 5pm before evening rushes. Grocery or something easier. If I am able to learn to drive in a few months and buy a vehicle night shifts may become an option. :-)

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2015, 9:49 am

I was 4. I moved 1 ton of gravel for my dad for a walkway he was digging in back yard. I was given and used a coffee can for the project. I was paid in ice cream.

Aspergman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

I'd be happy to be taken off disability… My first "real" job was back in High School, clothing store in the mall, I did really well at the cash register.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2015, 12:52 pm

My first job, age 15, demolition labor for a construction project in the West Bank (Palestinian Territories).
First job that lasted longer than a month, age 18, grocery store clerk.
First professional job, international tax consultant for a Big 4 accounting firm.
Current job, analyst for a large oil company.

I'm not sure what a CJ degree will help you get, but if you're interested in further education, you might want to consider law school. As far as I know, CJ is often a stepping stone to a law degree. You might be eligible for some municipal jobs, especially consider some of the civilian police jobs, like legal analyst. I would think your school's career center should be your starting point.

I've often found it helpful to not think much of my drawbacks in the job hunt (ie AS), it only puts my mind in the wrong place, and when job hunting, you have to have an abundance of confidence. If your GPA is decent, your resume will be what gets you the interview. From that point on, practice makes perfect.

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

Security guard, a couple of months. Mostly worked alone, sometimes in pairs, was all right for my part. The aspie compulsion to follow the rules and do things exactly was popular among the bosses.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:46 pm

Data entry for tourist agency.

indianadowjones
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2015, 1:42 am

Apart from the part time jobs in college, my first professional job was in a bank. I enjoyed it. Customers began asking for me by name because I was fast and good at finding solutions to problems. I didn't get fired but I learned I was about to get screwed over so I resigned.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 8:53 pm

Mine was bringing shopping carts, back into the store.