Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 7:17 pm

No...I'm not looking for a job in this department. (Although TV makes this so intriguing but even I know I'm waaaaaaaay over my head :lol: )

But one must wonder though...do you know/heard of Aspies going into law enforcement in some form or another? I assume that if there are any aspies in that field they're probably doing in-office investigation stuff. heh

What do ya think?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 7:47 pm

I believe we have a member here that is in law enforcement.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2009, 4:32 am

Nothing standing in the way of an Aspie being a cop. The beat cop might not work though. But there is still forensics, photography, crash investigator etc. etc. I would think the facts that you get to wear a proscribed uniform (dont stand out due to dress sense) and work in a controlled environment would be attractive.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:52 am

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. There is a lot of paying attention to detail involved in the criminal justice field.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:58 am

I agree. It seems the main problem would be dealing with the extreme stress and also the extreme boredom of being an officer on the street.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:59 am

That's why I was never interested in it.

Plus I hear the pay is lousy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 11:34 am

I agree that Aspies would make very BAD beat cops, but could do very well in forensics, investigation, etc. For example, somehow I've always thought that I might make a pretty good (USA) Secret Service anti-counterfeiting forensic investigator.

Mike

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 11:43 am

I don't see any reasons for an aspie not being able to work in law enforcement, unless they
tend to get over simulated or are prone to meltdowns.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2009, 11:38 pm

When I was a kid I used to consider being a police officer when I grew up. Until my mom told me and later realized that police officers actually die on duty.

Ishtara
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

My uncle (no idea if he's an aspie but he certainly shows a lot of the traits) joined the police after twenty years in the army. He's been quite succesful with it, and he certainly enjoys it.

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2009, 8:19 pm

Hello,

Ishtara, my congratulations to your uncle! I'm glad he's doing well. I know many police officers are military veterans.

Some Aspies indeed have serious problems with the interpersonal aspects of police work. Other Aspies, once they learn the necessary people skills (George Thompson's Verbal Judo is a good start), do well in such a controlled environment.

What do you think?

http://www.asplint.com

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2009, 1:08 pm

I am a couple of classes away from a Criminal Justice degree.

I think that people on the spectrum would have problems with this job, especially with people skills and interpersonal communication.

I think that people with Aspergers would do better with support jobs in this field such as investigator, forensics, crime mapping, etc. The sad fact is though, in many cases you have to start out as a beat cop and work your way into these fields.

Another field to take a look at is security. I know that I doesn't pay well, but I know a number of people on the spectrum who are in this line of work and absolutely enjoy it. I worked in this field for close to 10 years. I would look more at industrial security/ night watchman type position. You wouldn't have to deal with as many people as lets say a bouncer or other types of security work.