Should I be worried about working?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:45 pm

I'm currently unemployed Union Electrician. I've been on the books since august and there is 560 people on the books in front of me. At the rate the books are going I probably won't be going back to work until June of next year. My Unemployment benifits are getting low. They will probably be running out in the next month. I know that congress has extended unemployment benefits but, I don't know how that effects me.

About 5 years ago I was in a simular situation where I was out of work for 11 months. Just when I was about to give up hope I got back to work. However this time it seems to be a bit different. I'm starting to worry that I will not get back to work in time to save my Car. Which I am falling behind in payments on. I also have a decent ammount of credit debt but, not enough to get help with. I'm starting to feel a little bit of axiety about if I should be looking for other work to tide me over until I'm in a position to go back to work as an Electrician.

Should I hunker down and wait it out or, go out and look for something new? What are my options?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:10 pm

Unemployment benefits are a step above a public insult for many people. It's too little money to be worth the indignity you go through to justify you should receive it.

I'd go out and find ANYTHING that allows you to earn your paycheck, pay your bills, and just keep bugging the union to get you back to work in what you are trained for. Earning a check (even doing something way below your skill ability) is much better for your emotional well-being and general outlook than begging the state for your weekly check.