I can't seem to find a job, any suggestions out there?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

outsideus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2009, 4:43 pm

I don't know about you reading this thread, but my outlooks on higher education and possibly a ok job a little later seems far off.
I have severe NVLD, and nowadays i can't really fit into educations/ jobs i'm looking at. My interest and ability would match:

-work on a ship, mostly hard work not so much problem solving and technical stuff
-Work in an old coal mine, i would never work in a new one with technology all around me
-clean peoples home
-work in a storage, lift heavy things

As you see, this is a business sector that keeps diminishing all the time. If i could rewind the time let's say 50 years i could qualify as a policemen, nurse or just about anything. Now it demands so much from me, i can't manage it nor am i interested in working under these conditions as it is nowadays. What to do? I´m besides all this really great at aritmethics, great both long and short time memory, fine rote skills in just about anything. Anybody with the same problems? I live outside US, i also have some money to invest, maybe i could start my own business? i don't know really what to do with my life. Im thinking about moving around with some hippie friends, it would suit me but what about my later part of life, that's what concern me the most.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2009, 7:12 pm

It doesn't say your age but I think moving around with your friends is a bad idea, although I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with that statement. I think you are right to be concerned about your future and it is very important to learn to take care of yourself, if you are able. My parents never really allowed me any breaks, so I didn't have the excuse to say I'm more fragile than most people---- they weren't very sympathetic to that way of thinking. I had to face a lot of fears and look like a fool often, and felt like an outsider wherever I went, but I got a paycheck and I know I can take care of myself now. Once you have accomplished something like that, then you might consider "dropping out of society" as they used to call it. That's just my opinion, and that's what I plan to do. :) I have had a lot of jobs and was often surprised by my successes, however insignificant they seem to some people; I have come a long way. If you want to work, apply at 10 different places, smile, be confident and let fate take care of the rest.

outsideus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2009, 4:12 am

I agree with what you are saying

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 2:49 pm

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
. . . apply at 10 different places, smile, be confident . . .

That's trying too hard. Believe it or not, it is! It's also falling into the pattern of all sending--no receiving, which I certainly have fallen into myself.

What you really want to do is just to be lowkey and matter-of-fact.

And, be ready to reciprocate if the person expresses interest. (to use an analogy, dance ever so slightly behind the beat. Or to use an example from another, an effective political activist ever so slightly understates his or her case.)

And it definitely is a numbers game.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 4:46 pm

Low key is good. I still stand by my statement of applying at 10 or more places…. But if you are applying at 10 different places, frowning and sulking, with bad posture… Good luck with that ;).

outsideus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm

FaithHopeCheese,

You make me happy, with my naive thinking i thought many autistic people were rather rigid, but i i think many on these forums including you seem very mature and sensitive in their thinking. But still, i think the future belongs in many ways too "right-brained" individuals, the computers have been taken over the left-brainers jobs i think and will continue to do so. The future with all the technology really frightens me

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:48 pm

Well, I haven't been diagnosed so maybe I am not autistic, but I identify with the people on this forum, so here I am. Don't worry too much about labels, because with or without it, you have the ability to grow. Don't put limits on yourself. What is your dream job? I just have a "job"; I have all but given up on my dreams. :( I don't know who I am, or what I want to do, so I flounder. I hope you'll take a look at all of the other threads and participate.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 11:55 am

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
. . . But if you are applying at 10 different places, frowning and sulking, with bad posture . . .

And somewhere between that and a saleman's frozen smile is a happy medium!

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:49 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:
. . . But if you are applying at 10 different places, frowning and sulking, with bad posture . . .

And somewhere between that and a saleman's frozen smile is a happy medium!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 4:57 pm

I'm not sure that's what we're looking for either.

Although there certainly have been jobs in which I have felt like doing that!

outsideus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2009, 2:07 am

update,

Cleaning firm didn't want me ( i'm very much amazed )
Short education and computer work possible with low salary ( it's ok though ), but here's the negative: they want to give me extra care and supervison because of my disorder, i have always had many friends and i have no really enemies or trouble with people, so i feel no good about hearing this

Also i asked about garden mainteance work, but they ( we have a special government that takes care of much of the countries employment ) didn't like it ( shouldn't i like it? ), so this was it for me. we have a government here that rules pretty much, you must inform the workplace of your diagnosis ( more or less ). It's the same everywhere, even for drivers license.. I really knew this before but atleast i have tried, i'm so amazed with this new world we are living in. I just complain, but it's so idiotically ironic because almost all of the jobs i could have done, have become unavaliable in the last 10-20 yeras or so. Is it anybody else feeling like me? And once again, i'm not here to complain, i'm just trying to live a life i'm fairly comfortable with and i feel i can't do much more than that .

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 1:58 pm

Find your local branch of the Mafia.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 2:15 pm

outsideus wrote:
I just complain, but it's so idiotically ironic because almost all of the jobs i could have done, have become unavaliable in the last 10-20 yeras or so. Is it anybody else feeling like me? And once again, i'm not here to complain, i'm just trying to live a life i'm fairly comfortable with and i feel i can't do much more than that .

You were made for a time such as this. Forward March (or however it goes...)

Try not to worry about it for a while, and read WP :lol: