Building Social Networks for Businesses at 13... Possible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

weatherkid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2010, 10:19 am

I am 13 and I am starting a small business. I will create social networks for businesses. My question is, will anyone TRUST a 13 year old, and if so, what does US laws say about making a small business at 13? Is there any tax forms I need to fill out?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm

Most of the media in this country is pitched to a 13 year old, and not the bright ones.

Why tell? If it is internet based, some have sold out to Microcosoft at 15, it all starts somewhere, and you are closer to the well.

Never fill out forms or get permissions. It is just asking for trouble.

A business makes money, have you, counting the deductable expenses? Internet service, a new computer, are deducted, web sales have no local sales tax, so there is no one to report to.

Inventory, tools of the trade, it all comes before profit, and a good business reinvests everything.

What is important in business is why do the customers give you money, and that is a Trade Secret.

Anyone with a bank account can get a Paypal account, get paid on line, and and get a Paypal Debit Card.

Work on, why will people need my service, how can I do it better than they can get elsewhere.

Give it a go, it is the most educational thing you will ever do.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm

How far have you got?

Do you have any networks already?

We make all our own stuff, by hand, the Aspie way . So we're already almost at capacity, but what we make is pretty damn near perfect.

If we had a tiny bit extra capacity and wanted to export just for the sake of it ,what would you suggest?

Why do you need to tell anyone you are thirteen if you can do the job?

Do these guys have a buyer for their Giftshop? Keep the name to yourself, even from me.

www.guggenheim.org[url=http://]Web Page Name[/url]

Find out and get back to me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 1:06 pm

weatherkid wrote:
I am 13 and I am starting a small business. I will create social networks for businesses. My question is, will anyone TRUST a 13 year old, and if so, what does US laws say about making a small business at 13? Is there any tax forms I need to fill out?

I'm 15 and starting a business too :)

By social networks, what do you mean, though? There is also a social networking website for businesses called LinkedIn.

Depending on what you're doing, you'll need to register as either a sole trader or start up a limited company. You can't be the director of a company until 16 as far as I know, but you shouldn't have trouble setting up as a sole trader. Though, I live in the UK, I have no idea what the US laws are like.

In terms of business in general, I recommend reading How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis. It's a very good book with very good information in it.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:19 am

Yes. I made more money with my old website when I was 13 than I do now. Those were the days...