Paying someone to write my resume for me?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

anewman wrote:
IMHO CV writing services take advantage of desperate unemployed people, under the misconception that there is some magic formula which will get you a job. No CV writing service I have seen offers a job or your money back guarantee. It is far better to write a CV yourself, try tailoring it to each individual job you apply for. No CV service writes CV's customised to specific jobs either, unless you have a bottomless wallet. Just look at example CV's on the internet and use the resources freely available, and that should help remove the block. Once you get going you'll be fine. Make sure you highlight your skills and abilities (these will be among the things you modify for different jobs - e.g. computer skills might not be relevant to all jobs), without waffling, and keep to either one or two sides of A4. It also helps if you avoid using the templates everyone else uses, to try keep yours looking different and unique to everyone else's. Those are the main golden rules really. Oh, and the other is to ensure your spelling and grammar are impeccable (this makes applying for jobs difficult for people with other neurodiverse conditions such as Dyslexia.)

I haven't researched these companies, so I'll put in that qualifier, but knowing one's own limitations, and how to get past them, is by itself a job skill. Meaning that if someone knows they cannot write a resume they will be happy with, they should find someone, paid or not paid, to do it for them. I remember interviewing someone with very limited English who had turned in a perfect resume ... We were more willing than usual to overlook the lack of skill simply because she had taken the initiative to go around it. While I don't think paying someone to take you from an acceptable resume to a better one is worthwhile, paying someone to do something that you can't or don't want to do yourself can be.

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

My mom writes my resumes, do not tell anyone...!

syed2011
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2011, 2:02 am

Take some sample cv templates help to design.. http://www.cvtemplate.net has suitable templates.

Tassie wrote:
I would definitely try and get it done professionally.

I have had to work through large stacks of CVs, and believe me, when you have several hundred applicants per job, you simply cannot read them all. Rather like working through the slush pile, I had simple rules that enabled me to trim to a manageable number. All the following were binned, usually unread:

Cheap photocopying of poor legibility and/or slanted across the paper
Coloured paper
'look at me' tricks like word art, clip art and fancy borders
Photographs (unless specifically requested)
Illegible or coloured fonts
Bound resumes
Family as referees (unless working for a family company)
Religious imagery, references or quotes

A CV should be simple, clearly printed in a standard font, properly spaced on decent weight white, or light cream, paper. In many cases that alone will see you through the first cull.

Give me something that hands me the information I need quickly and without fuss!

sanath123
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2011, 6:50 am

If you have a query on How to write a resume. Then you can visit this site fore more details on How to write a resume. This site provides a facility to write your own resume by professionally persons in an affordable rates. And it also provides a free resume templates samples for all resume category. This idea is best for a freshers who don't have an idea about How to write a resume.How to write a resume

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 1:12 am

I have never paid anyone to write my resume, what I have done was done a google search on resumes to look at samples to give me an idea how to do it like what to put on it and stuff. So I copied it by using my own information.

sanath123
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2011, 1:30 am

ya it is right that you must not to pay to some one else for writing your own resume. but if you dont have any idea about How to write a resume then and then only you must pay to some best website which will guide you to write your own resume.
You can also visit this site for more information on How to write a resume with in a minutes using our own resume builder. And it also provides a free resume templates samples for all resume category.
http://www.resumeplus.net

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 9:54 am

Nothing wrong in paying for a professionally prepared resume. Many professionals do that.

Just be sure nothing in it is false or misleading. Make sure you understand everything it says about you so if asked, you can answer as if you did prepare it yourself. I think the only scrutiny of a resume/CV is the truthfulness of the content, not who wrote it.

syed2011
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2012, 1:30 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I'll do your resume for free right now if you PM me. I can do your cover letters and thank you letters too. I can research companies for you and so on. I can help you with interviews. I can give you personal references. I've never charged anyone for doing it. In these tough times we need to help one another.

Glad to read that, you are helping job seekers to write their CV and finding job for them.
I wonder that there are still people in this world who to social service. Hats-off to you. :salut: