I"m an Aspie that happens to be a cashier as well. Sho

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ConfoundGordon
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2010, 11:24 pm

That topic headline is NOT a typo. For real, I have been working on grocery duties since May 2001. Despite being a part-time gig, it helps pay the bills and save up for the future.

I'm sure many are curious to know how I manage to work in such a stressful position? :?:

Somehow, I can keep myself under control. The beginning, middle, and end of an order is my structure to follow. It may be repetitive, but it works. I would say "Hi, how are you today?" to the customer and start scanning away. I hardly pay attention to the individual and keep my eyes peeled if the items rang up correctly. My vision is on the scanner and where to bag the items. On occasion, I will ask if he/she needs any assistance, take an item off the order, etc. Those are just brief moments of being socially active. My words are to the point and basic. When it comes to looking up a price, that does not bother me. It's all part of this "Cashier structure" I follow and it keeps me grounded. The only time it gets stressful is when a customer can grow restless about the most obsurd things, from expired coupons to just getting heat for the hell of it. Talking my way out of it or fixing the scenario is hardly any trouble. I've been working as a cashier for so long, all the nonsense I come across can be stupid, problem-solving 101, or downright laughable. That sentence "The customer is always right!" has been proven wrong too many times. It can make my heart heavy at times and the need to explode in rage, but always staying relaxed. I gotta job to do and store managers depend on my performance to make the work place happy. Just manage to go to the machine without a sense of fear or barely some anxiety to work X amount of time.

So how many out there still can't picture this is real? 8O

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2010, 11:37 pm

Actually this is very believable. I approach my cashier job much the same way, except that I haven't exactly managed to always stay relaxed when customers are difficult. I suppose this comes with time. I've only been working my job for a little over a year.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 12:05 am

I can believe it, as well. I am Customer service for a large insurance company (customer owned, not for profit) and provide intimate and profound assistance to at least thirty situations a day. My only saving grace is I am on the telephone, so I don't have to rely on any sort of facial or body language. On Friday it is my 4th anniversary there.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 2:03 am

I admire you guys, you have Guts.

I feel very happy for those of you fortunate
enough to be wired for this kind of typematch.

I am glad that you can do it.

I could not.

Thank you.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:29 pm

I am able to do it too, but sometimes I have to have the manager come and talk to a difficult customer, because it's like my brain locks up. Otherwise it is just a simple thing. 'Hi' and 'Do you have a Supercard?" And at the end "Have a nice day.'

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2010, 8:34 pm

I also did cashiering type jobs. I liked it -- I always challenged myself to be super fast and accurate. I did OK when customers challenged something. I did work at a bookstore for a time, and although I was great with the cashiering, I was NOT great at the customer service desk. I also enjoyed working in the coffee stand at the bookstore. Making the lattes was the best; the memorization of all the recipes and the repetition was wonderful, and no interaction with customers when two people were over there.

I was a waitress for a very short time, and that did NOT go well. I could not remember the table numbers (they weren't in sequence), and I kept delivering food to the wrong tables (because I have face blindness and could not remember what the customers looked like).

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:51 am

I think I'd be good as a shop assistant in a tech shop, everytime I go into one I end up knowing just as much as their employees, if not more, and if I'm just telling people facts about gadgets or whatever I have little social trouble.

I remember once when I went with my dad into a Sony shop to look at TVs, we stood in front of a display were a few were set up, and I was explaining the difference between 720p and 1080p, Blu-ray vs. DVD, etc, then when I was done other people in the shop started asking me questions too, and I was fine answering :D

spacecadetcolin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2010, 10:07 pm

Ive been working at subway for a couple months. i also stick to the same routine when talking to people. but i have an auditory processing problem so its difficult to hear what people are saying. i also work with a bunch of Ecuadorian ladies that i have trouble communicating with.

im not cut out for making subs