Aspergers Syndome & The Territorial Army

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 5:59 am

Hello, I haven't been on a here for a while, because I've been at College, and work etc.

Anyway, my recently diagnosed 20 year old brother (Asperger's Syndrome) has had thoughts about joining the Territorial Army, and has a week to decide (i.e, fill out the application forms etc.), and I was wondering if anyone has had experience/advice with the basic training, and/or the Territorial Army Service itself.

Thanks.

L3gi0n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2010, 8:19 am

i have no experience with the territorial army

however, i was in the US Air Force. my tenure there lasted a whopping 9 months.

basic training was difficult. my lack of social skills and inability to comprehend intentions ended up causing me to be one of the most picked-on people by the drill sergeants.

after basic, i was in tech school. there i ran afoul of a dickhead NCO who found my tendency to say exactly what i was thinking irritating, and he proceeded to make my life a living hell until he could arrange a way to get me out of "his" air force. he would purposefully fail me on inspections - no, i'm not paranoid. i watched him on more than one occassion come into my room, scuff the polished floor with his boot, and fail me on the floor, among other things.

your brother might want to consider how things like this might effect him. not saying his experience will be bad, but mine was absolutely miserable.

i'm not jesus, i will not forgive.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:07 am

I would suggest that you do not join up, not at least without disclosing it to the army. Talk to the army about the medical requirements. I think that joining up when you have a DX, but keeping that information from the army is likely to lead to something bad.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Ok, thanks for your feedback. :)

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2011, 10:25 pm

He will have difficulties enlisting if he discloses AS.

The only way for someone to enlist in British Army with AS is to have the original diagnosis reversed and this will be arranged via referral at the enlistment medical.

That being said I reckon that half the Officers and SNCOs of some corps/regiments are undiagnosed aspies.