My first day on the job was good, but...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

my trainer kept making comments that I was too quiet and behaved as if "the customers [were] going to bite [me]". Other than that, she said I did very well. How should I improve on this? I don't want to get fired for being weird or something. Any suggestions? I spoke to all of them, I smiled, made eye contact, made sure to be polite all while being prompt because I have seen people that have these long drawn out conversations with customers which makes everyone else in line really angry. I don't really know what else to do.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:21 pm

How is your tone of voice? Are you sounding too soft or is your voice too high? I sounded very unconfident due to a tendency to stretch the last syllable of a word and use too many subjunctives...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:13 pm

Soft...but that's just how my voice sounds. Ever see Cowboy Bebop? Radical Edward's voice is basically how I sound. Most of the customers have said something to the effect of "Your voice is sooo cute!".

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 7:58 am

Hmm.. dubbed cowboy beebop, interesting...

You'll grow accustomed to it in time, I wouldn't worry. Although I never could get used to the fast pace of a drive through window (sensory overload).

If your aspie, speed and precision will be noticed. The social issues probably not so much. Try not to walk in circles tho (they do notice that). In my early jobs I was self sufficient because it was all a giant routine, same thing.. same movements, same everything. Where did you get a job at anyways? ... Or is that too much info, lol.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 10:45 am

blackcat wrote:
my trainer kept making comments that I was too quiet and behaved as if "the customers [were] going to bite [me]". Other than that, she said I did very well. How should I improve on this? I don't want to get fired for being weird or something. Any suggestions? I spoke to all of them, I smiled, made eye contact, made sure to be polite all while being prompt because I have seen people that have these long drawn out conversations with customers which makes everyone else in line really angry. I don't really know what else to do.

One possibilitiy is that your trainer may mean that the way you're holding yourself may convey an extreme sense of unease. She might have been clearer if she had said, "your posture seems to be too straight too often, and you don't seem relaxed." Cues like standing straight, not moving from your position at all, and otherwise restricting non-essential movement may be what she had in mind.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 1:46 pm

i dont know how much does cash counter job suit a Aspie..its more of people oriented job

Kirsty_84
Raven
Raven

18 May 2011, 2:20 pm

I've done a cash counter job and found it hard a first. I tried to make conversation perhaps about the transaction, or a piece of jewellery the customer was wearing ("that's lovely" kinda thing), but never about personal appearance - that can get ya in trouble lol. Making conversation can make you appear relaxed.