How long is too long? (When waiting to be hired).

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

How long did it take for you to start your new job?
Applied for the job and started the same week. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Applied, interviewed, and started in about one week. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
The process took me 2-3 weeks. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
It took me about a month. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
The process took 6-8 weeks. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It took 2 months or longer 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 7:28 pm

I think we all agree that nowadays, it's never easy getting a job regardless of what industry but what I'm wondering to myself is how long should people wait to be hired before they either find or take another job because the company took too long to get back to them. I'm writing about this topic because I have applied for a job, been interviewed, been given a contingent job offer, and then completed a drug test and background check. I did the last step two weeks ago and I'm still not given a start date. I'm thinking about waiting one last week before I decide to look for another job. I originally applied for this job on January 22nd. It will be March 10th this Monday and I quite frankly, I think it's ridiculous that I have still not been officially given a work date (despite being cleared by HR that I met all the criteria). The only number I'm given is HR's number and every time I call, they tell me it's up to the building I applied in to call me for orientation. It's a shame because I really wanted this job but I can't keep sitting on my butt, week after week not collecting a paycheck while I wait for them. I feel that companies should value applicants time more.

My main question is has anyone experienced waiting weeks and weeks to be hired
and if so, did they eventually have to take another job?

How long is too long?

Also for those who are working, how long did it take you to start your work date from the time you first applied? I'm curious to know the average time.

Also I'll write what I have had to do to get this job.
Week 1: Application submission.
Two days later: Email to schedule phone interview.
Week 2: Phone Interview.
Week 3: Email to schedule a face to face interview.
Three days later: Face to face interview.
Week 4: Email that either said I was in consideration for the position.
Week 5: Nothing.
Week 6: An contingent job offer.
Week 7: Background check initiated and I did a drug test.
Week 8: Nothing (but I called HR and was told I passed everything).
Week 9: It's coming up on Monday.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

If going through that whole process, never delay getting back to them if you've been offered a job. The company should be contacted practically the next day unless you've been given a time frame specifically from the company.

It generally good manners to keep in touch with the employer on what decision was made.

Never wait no longer that 24 hours to get in contact IMO. If an employer says the process will take time then by all means wait as they themselves instructed. It shows an employer you're eager and willing to work with them.

I've been in the position of getting interviewed and left hanging, but generally, employers in my experiences are generally good to get in touch as soon as possible and generally give positive feedback weather the job is mine or not.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 9:06 pm

I've seen peopled hired in as long as 6 months and as little as 3 weeks. It all depends on how busy Human Resources is, how busy the hiring/search committee is, and the candidate pool.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2014, 12:27 am

As the previous post says...it depends. Even though you've been well vetted and told you're 'in line', it's still a touchy stage. BE POLITE, call and ask HR what kind of time frame you should expect. The last thing you want is to be considered an annoying person, as that could negatively affect the outcome. In the meantime, continue to search out other possibilities. Don't pin ALL your hopes on a probable offer if there is a chance that you are not going to be hired in the end...

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2014, 7:30 am

As the other said, it depends. I had a job where everything was sorted within about 3 weeks. Whereas with another job, I applied, had an interview, and was told to wait 4 weeks before hearing if I was successful. I got a job offer exactly 4 weeks later, but the start date wasn't for another month or so :(.

With that long one, I considered it acceptable, because I was kept informed. If they didn't give me any specific dates/waiting times, and I hadn't heard from them in a month or so, I'd move on to something else.

cowboys22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2014, 5:41 am

It depends really on how quickly they need to fill in the position and what field the position is in. I work as a certified nurse assistant and I got my job 3 weeks after I applied for the position, I was hired after my second interview then started the next day.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

I've heard nothing this whole week as well. I've decided to pursue other options and I have two interviews set up for next week. It's a shame it's come to this but I can't keep waiting without making an income. This company I initially got hired to work at is a huge company so it's not like I can just call the hiring manager or show up at the place. The lesson I learned is to never wait and be hopeful to get one job, even if you get hired. If you aren't given a start date right away, that indicates you aren't needed that much and they perhaps were hiring people for reserve.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."