Others in the Psychology/Social Services/Field?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

I just graduated with my M.A. in Clinical Psychology and I'm doing a contracted position as an intake clinician until the summer ends (which is soon). I interview people who are going to be receiving mental health services and give them referrals, and then decide on a diagnosis and write a diagnostic assessment. I like it because it's structured and I'm actually best at interacting with people one-on-one about substantial topics (themselves) rather than superficial topics. I've been looking for full-time work closer to where I live with my boyfriend, but I've been having trouble and am getting worried. I'm also waiting to become licensed.

Is there anyone else in a similar field? If so, how is it going? I read an encouraging chapter in a book by women with Asperger's Syndrome, and one of the women was a therapist. After I read that, I knew it was possible for us!

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

I work as a supervisor in an institution for mentally ret*d adults. The kind of work you are doing is not a bad place to start. The big danger is that they can try to economize by increasing your caseload to an impossible size. In any case, its good to be working in a field where you are helping people.

AutisticLicense
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

I've been a social worker for 5 years. After a few years I did find it really stressful dealing with so many different people all the time. Now I work in sector and community development, so I just deal with managers and CEO's and it's much easier as they're more predictable, they behave in similar ways and I get to know them over time. Plus it's mostly office based. Much happier in this job! Hope you find something that you love, makes going to work much more fun

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

Hi,

8O I am completing my psychology degree and am working in the field.
Psychology and in particular autism is my special interest which is good, i did a thesis last year on autism which i enjoyed.
I currently work on intake and have regular cilents who are kids with autism.

:D I like my job, i need alot of downtime inbetween to process everything and make sure that i am on top of everything. For me i think i need to just stick to one speciality (ASD) if i branch out too much its probably too much clinical information to evaluate effectively (at this stage anyway). My ideal situation is working around 20 hours per week face to face with lots of downtime to handle the intensity of it all.

:roll: I have executive planning difficulties and social challenges which make the job a bit stressful, i am learning all the time, i swear 20 hours / week for me feels like a NT 60 hour week.

8) I feel that psychology is quite a good field, since most psychologists i have met are quite conservative and do not express much of themselves due to the nature of the role, so my aspie demenour sort of works in that setting psych's spend their time analysing other people and i enjoy doing that so i think it was a good career choice.

:wink: I am keen on talking to others who have chosen this field of work and learning about your experiences.

angiebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

I worked in that field for awhile. It can be great, and it can be horrible.

Downsides....Unless you have your own private practice, you will quite possibly run into the same inner office politics as anywhere else. Burn out is high. Sometimes people in management have no clinical experience, only having studied health care administration...someone running a mental health facility may have never run a therapy session.

But in the right environment, it can be a great field to work in. There are resources out there on self-care for therapist, and avoiding burn out.

@ Sharkgirl-
Are they hiring where you work? Sounds like a great place.

@ Gaya - While waiting on licensing it may be tough. Have you looked into doing ABA? Or do you prefer to stick with the type of work you are doing?

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2011, 12:45 am

Hi Angiebanana,

no they are not currently hiring at my workplace.
We do also have lots of office politics with a boss that micromanages every thing everyone does and emails the whole group to highlight every indidivual stuff up so you are publicly shamed if you do make a mistake. Not the best work environment but i like the client work and dont need to interact with the boss that often and it will be less in the future which is great. :x

I told my boss the other day that she needs to use more of a carrot rather than a stick approach, and to trust her staff more rather than monitoring everyone looking for mistakes. She needs to look for the good things people do and higlight that to get more enthusiasm and passion for the staff in their jobs. She took it pretty well. I was as tactful as possible - i actually felt like punching her in the head. The conversation was sparked by the fact that she said she would like to hire fake clients to come to sessions to spy on us doing our jobs and report back to her - so hey i dont think you really want to work there - its a bit paranoia inducing. :twisted:

I am looking for a new job and wont be there forever its a stepping stone - the clients however do make up for it immensly.