When to start searching for a job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2013, 10:16 am

I am finishing my degree this year (september), but over the summer I will only have to do a final project. (groupwork)
I really would like to get a nice job after that, but I am unsure when to start looking for one.
My greatest weakness is interviews; I just can't present myself well, but I have always received glowing reviews.
I have no preference for region or country as long as I can understand the language.

Any suggenstions from people who have been in this position?

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 3:31 pm

Swordfish210 wrote:
I am finishing my degree this year (september), but over the summer I will only have to do a final project. (groupwork)
I really would like to get a nice job after that, but I am unsure when to start looking for one.
My greatest weakness is interviews; I just can't present myself well, but I have always received glowing reviews.
I have no preference for region or country as long as I can understand the language.

Any suggestions from people who have been in this position?

I would say to start looking now. View any interviews between now and September as 'practice' only. Act like it's a school exercise and let yourself get more comfortable with repetition and trying to learn from each one.
If one of those turns into a job you can start this summer, great! if not, then consider them all practice runs for the ones you'll have after graduation.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

With the economy the way it is, the rule is to be looking from day one of college.

You need internships, externships, volunteer work, etc. to build up that you can DO the job, not that you just LEARNED the job.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

Swordfish210 wrote:

Any suggenstions from people who have been in this position?

I would probably start looking for a job that is in the field of your interests (that requires the level of degree you will be getting this upcoming September) right now if I were you. You don't know how long the whole job application process will take. It could take months. Plus, you'll get experience in job interviews so that you'll be prepared for future job interviews when they do come up.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 7:10 am

Thanks all for the replies,
but if I start applying now, wouldn't that collide with the start-time?
I mean, most job advertisements say start dates that I can't possibly meet.

Thank's for the replies, and sorry for the questions, but I am just really confused and slightly anxious.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

Adding another question: I will mainly be applying in the UK, where every other company/organization has a disability clause in their application descriptions. Should I disclose my Aspergers? (from the perspective of getting the job; I am not very good at interviews, but I don't need extra things in the work environment)