Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

throat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2014, 7:40 am

Ok, so I have a job, and I hate it, but I need money so I'm stuck I guess.

The thing is people keep asking me If I'm enjoying the work. Is this a trick question? Is this one of those times that I'm meant to lie and say I am enjoying it even if I'm not?

This then brings another question. Does this mean most normal people do enjoy working? If they're all getting worked up because I'm not enjoying it surely this means that most normal people do enjoy work? Am I actually meant to be enjoying work, or is it just one big lie where everyone hates work but pretends to enjoy it for social reasons. :?:

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:55 am

What is meant depends on who is asking. If your boss is asking, that's a big red flag. It means he/she wants you to talk about your behavior on the job, and either improve it or quit. It can be a sign that your boss is thinking about firing you.
If a friend/relative/etc. is asking, they probably just want to know how things are going for you at work in general. They just want you to pick one or two good (no one cares how long I take for lunch) or bad (my co-workers are lazy and I have to pick up their slack) points about your job and share them. They may also be trying to get a sense whether you will stay at the job long-term or leave it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:09 am

Quote:
Does this mean most normal people do enjoy working? If they're all getting worked up because I'm not enjoying it surely this means that most normal people do enjoy work?

Some people enjoy their work. Usually these people are highly educated, do specialized work, and/or get paid well. I think most people assume that doctors, teachers, and such enjoy their work overall. I have a friend who is a college professor and enjoys her work immensely.
However, I would guess that around 75% of people don't particularly enjoy their jobs, and many of these people outright hate their work. So no, there's nothing weird about not liking your job, though you should NEVER tell your boss that. Bosses tend to believe that people who dislike their work will do it poorly, even though that's not necessarily true.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:20 am

I am content with my work despite the monotony; it will ensure financial security in my old age.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:31 am

If it's a boss or co-worker, the answer is yes. Yippyskippy may be right, but it could also just be that your unconsciously showing your distaste for the work.

If it's friends or family, you can be honest.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

Do you like "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 9:51 am

I consider it a bit of a trick question.

I know of very few who "like" where they work. When it's thrown at me, I don't know really what they want to say.

However, I've learned to pick at issues. Last time it was thrown at me, I commented that everyone has (for the most part) been very nice to me. I admitted that the job was (in essence) just a paycheck (which made sense because it was a menial, manual labor job). There was no way I could say I though it was a great place to work or that I loved being there.

If they want to hire people who "love" working in their shop, they are going to go through a lot of people to find the perfect fit.

Saul3903
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

When this kind of question is brought to me, I cite the words of comedian Denis Leary:

"Oh, you hate your job? There's a support group for that. It's called 'everyone', and they meet at the bar."

If I'm not sure the person asking has the same sense of humor as me, I'll just shrug and say "Eh, it's work."

Evemarx
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2014, 2:39 pm

uh oh, i got asked this the other day...

didn't know what it meant.

i hope i'm not about to be fired.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2014, 3:31 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Does this mean most normal people do enjoy working? If they're all getting worked up because I'm not enjoying it surely this means that most normal people do enjoy work?

Some people enjoy their work. Usually these people are highly educated, do specialized work, and/or get paid well. I think most people assume that doctors, teachers, and such enjoy their work overall. I have a friend who is a college professor and enjoys her work immensely.
However, I would guess that around 75% of people don't particularly enjoy their jobs, and many of these people outright hate their work. So no, there's nothing weird about not liking your job, though you should NEVER tell your boss that. Bosses tend to believe that people who dislike their work will do it poorly, even though that's not necessarily true.

One Gallup poll concluded that only 1 in 6 people love their jobs.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:35 pm

If someone asked me that and I answered honestly the answer would always be no. The types of low paying minimum or near minimum wage types of jobs which would be all I could ever get are nearly never done because people "enjoy" them. They only do them because they are desperate for money and can't get a better job.

I think the only people that really enjoy their jobs are ones that make a lot of money, have a job that is really important, or have a job relating to a special interest.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 7:20 pm

I would say what Hanyo stated is almost always true.