Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2013, 3:39 pm

I will be moving in the next week or so. About 2 weeks ago, I asked my manager for the days off and she said it shouldn't be a problem. So earlier this week I take a peek at the schedule and realize that she has me scheduled on the days I asked to have off. I found out that someone else asked for time off, but I doubt that person needs the days off for something important like moving!

On top of all that, I'm working practically every day up until I move, so I barely have time to pack. It is essential that I get these days off, I can't imagine going through the stresses of moving then having to go to work! I am an anxious person, so the process of moving is stressful alone, especially from a place I've lived for 23 years.

My manager is pretty reasonable, so I plan on talking to her when I show up to work tomorrow. The move date is still a week away, so I'm hoping I can trade shifts or maybe she can figure something out. I'm extremely stressed out! I'm just curious how I should go about this. I was thinking of saying "I noticed that you scheduled me on the days that I'm moving, is there any way I can still get those days off?" What do you think I should do? Any advice?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

what you propose asking sounds good.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2013, 9:51 pm

Great! I was having a little trouble figuring out how to proceed with this.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm

Sounds like a good plan.

Did you submit the leave request in writing?

ALWAYS submit leave requests in writing even if you ask in person.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 1:24 am

Yes I made sure to get it all in writing. My manager is reasonable enough, so I'm hoping everything works out in my favor.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 5:40 am

It's possible she just forgot if she hasn't spoken to you in person about it, after agreeing that you could have the time off. Managers aren't flawless!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm

Can you still move after you get off from work or before you go. When I was moving, I always moved stuff to my new house from my apartment before work because I work evenings. I think I did move stuff to my house once when I got home from work and I came right back. I actually found it fun and this has always been a fun thing than a chore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

I don't know how they plan to move but that would have been impossible for me. We hired movers and it took several hours for them to load up all our stuff, take a lunch break, and then unload it all.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Can you still move after you get off from work or before you go. When I was moving, I always moved stuff to my new house from my apartment before work because I work evenings. I think I did move stuff to my house once when I got home from work and I came right back. I actually found it fun and this has always been a fun thing than a chore.

I'm hoping I don't have to do this, but I may have to. There are a lot of things to move here though, so it will take at least a few days to get it all done. We've lived here since 1989.

Anyways I'm just going to ask my manager about it when I go in for a shift tonight. Hopefully it works out. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

hanyo wrote:
I don't know how they plan to move but that would have been impossible for me. We hired movers and it took several hours for them to load up all our stuff, take a lunch break, and then unload it all.

Also, moving from a house that you've lived in 23 years can take an emotional toll. I can't help but feel a little bit of sorrow about leaving this place for good. Having to work afterwards would be a living nightmare! Besides that, my family needs me to help them move the furniture and heavier items. Hopefully I can work something out.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

Roninninja wrote:
Also, moving from a house that you've lived in 23 years can take an emotional toll. I can't help but feel a little bit of sorrow about leaving this place for good. Having to work afterwards would be a living nightmare! Besides that, my family needs me to help them move the furniture and heavier items. Hopefully I can work something out.

I was living in my last place almost 31 years but I was eager to get out. My landlord was getting really bad about doing repairs and there were multiple things wrong with the house that triggered really bad panic attacks in me, plus he was trying to sell it.

We had to hire movers. We don't drive and my mother and I wouldn't have been able to move heavy furniture by ourselves even if we did. We don't know anyone that could help us either.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

hanyo wrote:
Roninninja wrote:

I was living in my last place almost 31 years but I was eager to get out. My landlord was getting really bad about doing repairs and there were multiple things wrong with the house that triggered really bad panic attacks in me, plus he was trying to sell it.

We had to hire movers. We don't drive and my mother and I wouldn't have been able to move heavy furniture by ourselves even if we did. We don't know anyone that could help us either.

Definitely feel you on the repairs. Our house has so many things wrong with it, electricity, roofing, plumbing, landscaping etc.. We're losing the house to foreclosure so it's pointless to even put any money into any repairs. Also our house is deep underwater and the mortgage payment has increased almost 300%

I feel a little sad to leave the house I grew up in, but with all the things wrong with it, the move day couldn't come any sooner. I'm going into work in a few hours, I hope they can work with me!

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2013, 3:53 pm

I ended up getting the days off, it was just as easy as asking my manager about it. It's nice to have an understanding boss. Some of the bosses I've had are unbearable.