best jobs for people with aspergers

Page 2 of 16 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

epistoliere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2007, 8:44 pm

Dogwalker! I have my clients trained to text/e-mail me to request dogwalks. Usually, they're not home when I walk their dog, so don't have to deal with them much. There are a few that call me all the time, but I have an easy excuse not to talk for too long-- the dogs are acting wild! I get sensory overload if the dogs bark too much or if I see too many people in the park, but I go in the woods a lot, so this helps. I'm my own boss, so I make my own schedule and I don't have any employees, so I don't have to deal with too much.

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2007, 7:49 am

I program industrial machines for a living. I love the work, though it helps that it aligns so closely with my interests.

The main challenging aspect of the job is dealing with clients and some of the ensuing politics. I work with a consulting firm, so I'm fortunately insulated from some of it, but there's still enough face to face interaction to keep me on my toes. I spend a fair amount of time analyzing words and actions and going over my thoughts with coworkers, to make sure I'm not missing something important. As I've become more experienced, I can use the social models I've developed to better understand people's actions and intentions. Until recently, I thought that this sort of analysis was the way everybody navigated the social world.

kornik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2007, 2:25 pm

Can you say more about what these "social models" encompass. What they are and how you use them?

Kornik

delphizealot wrote:
I program industrial machines for a living. I love the work, though it helps that it aligns so closely with my interests.

The main challenging aspect of the job is dealing with clients and some of the ensuing politics. I work with a consulting firm, so I'm fortunately insulated from some of it, but there's still enough face to face interaction to keep me on my toes. I spend a fair amount of time analyzing words and actions and going over my thoughts with coworkers, to make sure I'm not missing something important. As I've become more experienced, I can use the social models I've developed to better understand people's actions and intentions. Until recently, I thought that this sort of analysis was the way everybody navigated the social world.

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2007, 9:19 pm

I haven't codified these models, but they're just a way of better understanding intentions. I learn to classify people by their type of personality (joker, manipulator, easy-going, serious, etc.) and then can logically deduce the intention behind some of the more ambiguous things they say. When a joker tells somebody that I've been doing a terrible job, his personality, coupled with the reaction of the person he's talking to, lets me know that he's just kidding. When a known manipulator compliments my work, I know that he likely has an ulterior motive. It's not perfect and there's always the problem of first classifying the personality, but it seems to be helpful.

The main limitation is that it's not an especially deep analysis. For example. a joker may only be kidding, but sometimes the jokes are tinged with various undercurrents, like jealousy or annoyance. I think it's this layer of meta-emotions that I usually miss. I do sometimes have a sense for when I'm getting 'mixed signals' so to speak, but I can't always determine what they are. I just try not to cultivate professional relationships with people who are often deceptive or misleading in their speech.

Methofelis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2007, 7:18 pm

I am enjoying my new job in logistics/warehouse work at my local Target. Little customer interaction, often get to play with the nifty machines and hand held devices, work alone, nobody to direct me unless it is something simple like a loading dock person announcing to me that the truck has arrived... and I can go about my business as I please. I keep my true interests and hobbies away from work to guarantee and secure that none can interfere, and it works out very well. I get paid to be alone and use forklifts, go home early, and focus on what I truly love.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 9:28 pm

I think working in a record shop would be tops.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

thistledown
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2007, 11:45 pm

I presently have the ideal job: Working at home as a medical transcriptionist. The routine is calming and I love to type but the medical terminology adds interest and challenge. And, of course, I don't have to deal with anyone other than an occasional phone call. I've never even met my present boss!

doberman_lover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2007, 3:38 pm

Definitely something in engineering or programming. My experience is that people with aspergers can focus on a problem long after an NT has given up. Leaves them in your dust, which is kind of nice...

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:48 pm

I like substitute teaching because I don't have to spend alot of time with anyone person and at least part of what I do can be attributed to being "confused" over different routines in schools. The district I teach in has 7 different buildings so I'm usually not in the same place for very long, and if I make a huge mistake I can refuse to go back to that place and still have work and can even decide to teach in a different district each year. However, I've found the current school to be very forgiving, perhaps because they are in desparate need of subs?

I can also call off and know that I'll still have work the next day, or indeed even take a month off and know there will still be work waiting for me when I decide to come back

WishingWell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2007, 5:53 pm

OK, but how many of these jobs really leave you self sufficient? To live in or near a major city, and have your own apartment, I'd think you'd need at least 40-50k. To save some of what you make, more than that. If you went to school and racked up some debt, even more. I'm targeting positions going for 80-100k as I will have ab out 64k of debt from my masters program. I'm in an internship position now where I am making that much (on an annualized basis) but it ends this summer. Trying to find jobs at that pay-range where you aren't managing people or facing clients is VERY hard.

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2007, 9:39 pm

I think most jobs have some amount of interpersonal interaction as a requirement. I don't mind most of these business interactions, however, since typically they're quite well structured with reasonably well-defined rules (though of course never spelled out explicitly; that's what practice and observation are for.) I don't bother with schmoozing or networking (which involve a lot more generic chit-chat), so I'm usually not in situations that throw me for too much of a loop. I probably miss the subtext of some conversations, but perhaps I'm better off for it. Isn't it the old joke that politics is Latin for many blood sucking creatures?

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:47 am

WishingWell wrote:
OK, but how many of these jobs really leave you self sufficient? To live in or near a major city, and have your own apartment, I'd think you'd need at least 40-50k. To save some of what you make, more than that. If you went to school and racked up some debt, even more. I'm targeting positions going for 80-100k as I will have ab out 64k of debt from my masters program. I'm in an internship position now where I am making that much (on an annualized basis) but it ends this summer. Trying to find jobs at that pay-range where you aren't managing people or facing clients is VERY hard.

Life is not fair? :lol:

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2007, 4:48 pm

Many people would tell that software engineering is great for an aspie.

Confirmed. It is. Really.

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2007, 5:55 pm

Any job that lets you telecommute.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 10:24 pm

Try applying for employment at a bookstore.
I did so for Borders just today.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 3:40 am

byrlawson wrote:
Many people would tell that software engineering is great for an aspie.

Confirmed. It is. Really.

Everyone says that Engineering is great for people with AS. Too bad some of us are bad at math and sciences.