best jobs for people with aspergers

Page 3 of 16 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 3:40 am

byrlawson wrote:
Many people would tell that software engineering is great for an aspie.

Confirmed. It is. Really.

Everyone says that Engineering is great for people with AS. Too bad some of us are bad at math and sciences.

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2007, 4:29 am

Space wrote:
byrlawson wrote:

Everyone says that Engineering is great for people with AS. Too bad some of us are bad at math and sciences.

I am not making fun of you: I am glad not all people (and aspies) are the same.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 5:50 am

I'm going into Economics. That should be nice, because you work alone most of the time.

byrlawson
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2007, 7:03 am

byrlawson wrote:
Space wrote:
byrlawson wrote:

I am not making fun of you: I am glad not all people (and aspies) are the same.

Btw, this might be interesting: I never had the impression I would be especially good at maths or science. I have had a bit of this experience in elementary school but I had concentration issues and was talking to myself. I certainly had to stop that. I began to relate most of my problems, socially and those with teachers, with things I could do better than others. My teachers always cared much more for social issues and physical education than any of my personal abilities.

That continued all the time in school. When I started university I chose to study law because I somehow thought that would make a break with my past in school that was full of misery.

I had to cancel studying law, most because I had massive problems studying in the informal environment of a big university. I changed to study computer sciences because of the job market situation. My problems did go on. I had counselling and realized there was a kind of a barrier to do some things, especially those elementary to computer sciences.

It was found this barrier was indeed self imposed. I partially managed to cope with that and if some preconditions would be met I usually did very well with most lectures and exams. It took some time and I would have had quit university if I would have had to care for financial or substaining issues. I always had support from my parents. They never questioned my personal way to to things.

Today I work at a research center for articial intelligence and many people in my environment encourage my to got for a PhD.

Because of my personal experience, and know it is perhaps not applicable to others, I would like to recommend any aspie to double check for those kinds of problems that I have mentioned above.

AiMaiMii
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2007, 1:01 pm

Not good for long time career, but I enjoy stocking on the 2AM shift at the grocery I've been working at the past five years. I get up, go to work, rarely told what to do, get my job done, and leave 80% of the time. The other 20% when there are special "projects" to do can be stressful, but managable. It gets me $10.25hr as a part-timer, $12hr if I wsa full time. Not great pay, but it's something to stay consistant with. I don't really want to leave, but I know I have to if I want to make the kind of money I want to support the lifestyle I want to live.

I'm supposed to see someone at CARD, a resource for autism spectrum, about what kind of jobs I could get into with a BA. I'm majoring in Asian Studies, but I honestly don't want to do any work in that field. I'm only majoring in it because has some interesting classes that I can manage, plus learning Japanese was a plus.

I remember I was going into college for engineering originaly, till I figured out I sucked at math. I had to take remedial courses, plus i had to retake remedial course I had to take plus another class because of my poor math skills. I figure as long as I have a bachelors, I can get something. Some interesting ideas in this thread, but nothing that has interest me yet. I hear postal jobs can be good, since you have a consistant route and hours, but those are pretty hard to obtain. I hope I'm able to find something by fall 2008. My plan anyways. Can't keep stocking forever.

39000ft
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2007, 12:59 pm

I work on a survey ship as a senior surveyor and multibeam data processor. I couldn't have found a better job if I had asked, it does get me to interact with the rest of the survey team, but they are very accomodating of me and I enjoy the workplace humour. The work itself is varied and although it involves making then breaking routines on a regular and common basis, it has its perks too, I get to look at bits of the seabed that no one has ever seen before, I have quite a few frequent flyer miles, I get to see parts of the world few ever see, and the pay packet isn't bad either (£35k a year) The great thing is I get to know the guys I work with very well so I can feel comfortable with them and be a bit more confident in cracking jokes (although my UNIX joke I told my workmates today kinda fell flat!) I used to collect maps and charts when I was a kid, so this allows me to carry on my fascination with all things cartographic!

Corwin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2007, 2:19 pm

Given the market conditions, I think that engineering is not a good college major for Aspies. Take it from an Aspie with an electrical engineering degree. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!

The college curriculum does not emphasize social and persuasive skills. While this may make it attractive to study, you should remember that you are unlikely to exercise and improve these skills through an engineering program like the one which I finished.

Engineering jobs tend to be temporary in nature, lasting from the planning to culmination of discrete projects. There is gigantic employee turnover, so you have to keep applying for jobs. To always have a job, you need friends, family, and highly persuasive interviewing skills on your side. You would have to be very lucky to be so good at engineering that one company keeps you employed uninterruptedly on its projects while routinely dismissing its other engineers. Or you may need to develop skills totally outside of engineering in order to stay with a company.

Jobs that were good for entry-level engineers in the past are being expatriated from the United States. I say that an American has to be a masochist, or else have an expatriation wish to work so hard at joining the profession. The psychological pressure of this kind of job market exerts a toll on an engineer's personality. I find many engineers to be extremely arrogant in a self-defensive way, and to believe in a strain of social Darwinism for their profession.

So I suggest that you do not try to get an engineering job, while looking different from the profession's rigid norms. Take a look at the racism and gender balance in the profession. You will wonder, then, if there are far more people capable of doing this work than the companies will hire.

Exodia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2007, 6:03 am

iceb wrote:
Games programmer!
Games designer :)
Games tester <heaven>

I am trying to get my qualifications to be a game designer. It seems like such a great job.

I guess i would like to work in a quiet place and with a computer.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2007, 10:34 pm

iceb wrote:
Games programmer!
Games designer :)
Games tester <heaven>

Agree

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2007, 10:35 pm

Cyanide wrote:
I'm going into Economics. That should be nice, because you work alone most of the time.

Same here, Economics in Undergrad. Accounting in Grad. I want to go into Wharton for Grad.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 2:32 pm

Working at a bookstore!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 8:54 pm

I would like to do art on my computer and sell it for a living. That would be a nice easy job for me. NTs discourage me, but I'm starting to take it with a grain of salt, now. I plan to, and I will make a living off my art. No idea is lame to me, it might be to some losers in my life.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2007, 7:53 pm

Working in real estate investing is a very good job for someone who doesn't like much social interaction. I work on my rentals by my self most of the time. I treat my tenants very well and I think that they can tell that I'm a little different, but they seem to appreciate that I will do everything I can to be a good, and fair, landlord.

I don't think that anyone should let others determine what you can do in life, if you have a dream you can learn to compensate for your weaknesses, if you want to succeed enough.

Ledster
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2007, 8:17 pm

my favorite job recently was working for this mafia guy believe it..I took care of all his cars, I just drove cars to the carwash, had them repaired at the garage and drove them around to keep them alive. After he went to jail I lost my job. This guy was way strange and weird and he liked the fact that I was so it was a great fit. So I don't know what to do now, but I'm a guitarist trying to figure out something with that.

JamesG
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2007, 9:36 pm

I'm working as an Archaeological Technician and loving it. Lots of variety and switching gears all the time (facilitates my atypical ADHD without hyperactivity), research and organizing of records and artifacts (OCD), and working within my field (BA, Anthropology). I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

soulmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2007, 9:42 pm

...and working around scientists and food. Going to a place I've always wanted to..Antarctica.
Serving food to the scientists and workers at the bottom of the earth. I am the boss of my own area, i work alone. I have to get it all done and only answer to my boss and follow his guidelines and the usual healthcodes, but no one looking over my shoulder. Being around smart men and women. I effin love it. :D :D :D