Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 10:05 am

So... I didn't get the job. I tried applying to be a corrections officer for city of NLV, but... yea. I figured it would be a good job for me cause you really aren't supposed to make friends with the prisoners, you aren't expected to make eye contact, ect. I passed the written test no problem, but when I went to do the phsical exam, one of the proctors decided that since I was a girl I had to do the impossible push up. See, pushups they want your arms at a 90 degree angle, which I did. But the guy kept telling me I had to go lower, lower, till my elbows were sticking up behind me and I fell on my face.

One of the other proctors said I was doing fine, the guy I got was just a dick. But, they are all the same rank, so no one can overrule the other. He says just come back and test again in october.

Which doesn't help the bills I have now, I have like 1,000 in past due bills I need to pay. And my dad in all his grace was more than willing to help me out if I got a job and paid him back. But since I have no job to pay my bills, I'm not worthy of money from him.

He owns his house oughtright and makes over 100K a year. Seriously, he could afford to give me a hand and wait till I can to pay him back. And his other idea was that I move in with him. Well, he's the same guy who used me as a punching bad, so not gonna happen. And, if I were to move in with him I'd have to leave my BF to clean up the mess we got both of ourselves into. Plus I couldn't bring my cat. So I told him to go screw himself on that idea.

I really wish I had gotten the job... ><

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2008, 11:26 am

What skills/training/education do you have? There should be many jobs in Las Vegas. My son tells me he is busier (construction - insulation) than ever and, too, his band is getting plenty of gigs. Granted, not all of those jobs are suitable for Aspies, but many are, with some training. Perhaps your father would be willing to carry you for some training, in lieu of a job, with the prospect of a better job later.

Check into the fire department and EMT. Fires don't care about your personality and injured people don't mind a professional attitude.

Check the hospitals for janitorial. Finding someone to clean up blood and vomit for longer than two weeks is always a problem for hospitals. That job takes a lot of attention to detail and using the proper tools and chemicals for each different task.
Check with the school district for janitorial or maintenance grounds-keeping. Check with the local janitorial and building maintenance firms.

Take a class for highway construction flagging.

Corrections is not the best job for an Aspie, because you have to be able to quickly read body and face language. It can be learned, but it is essential for your own safety.

My thoughts. I like your sig line. Notice mine.:D

Pops

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:08 pm

I don't have to much trouble reading body language. It was one of the things my dad beat into me.

And I really try to avoid the guy unless I need money or something else. He's a complete ass who's had my mum arrested on false charges, will probably get my background check flubbed up because in 26 years he hasn't qualified for promotion cause he sexually harasses other employees and inmates, beat me to the point of being borderline disabled... I try to avoid him.

The only reason he still has a job is he's bloody smart and knows who's ass to kiss.

I like the idea of the janitor thing... not really much training involved there since i have experience, and there's a hospital right down the street. Though puke makes me want to puke myself, I caint see them minding me wearing a mask. :P

And Vegas SHOULD have a buttload of jobs, but we are hurting worst cause of the economy. People don't have the money to burn that the economy needs to survive. Basically, if you didn't have a job before january, good luck getting one.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:19 pm

*hugs*
I'm so sorry for you!
I hope you feel better!

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 4:50 pm

ah, sorry to hear that

when i get turned down, i usually convince myself its their loss not mine. do it for long enough and i soon forget about it and focus on another job.

kip wrote:
He says just come back and test again in october.<

well thats better than "dont bother coming back" i guess but not great either

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 8:38 pm

Sorry things didn't work out.

On the other hand, if you're a girl and you're not that strong, you probably are best not to go into corrections. Speaking as a girl who's not that strong...

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 7:49 pm

drybones wrote:
ah, sorry to hear that

when i get turned down, i usually convince myself its their loss not mine. do it for long enough and i soon forget about it and focus on another job.

kip wrote:
He says just come back and test again in october.<

well thats better than "dont bother coming back" i guess but not great either

true. and you can always work on your push-ups in the meantime... give the asshat one a real lesson.
exercising in general can give your life a boost, so if you're still waiting on a job, take advantage of the extra time. :)

KenithSobel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2008, 7:39 am

Hey Kip, you know ill do everything in my power to help you get that job ill even workout with you.