Why is it that I always seem to do this to myself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 11:17 pm

OK.... To begin with I've been working retail (clothing) for the past 2 years (almost)
The only good part of this job is the merchandising of new product. Otherwise I have to deal with random irate customers, smile like I like them, clean up after idiots who throw things on the ground, and be on my feet for 8 hour shifts.

Today was my first day at my second job (note I said second job, not new, I am still working retail), it is a seasonal position (which means I have it for 8 weeks). I am working at a mortgage/loan office as what turns out to be a receptionist-type position, where I am answering phones (all I have to do is find out where they need to go and transfer them). I get to sit at a desk and do data entry, but I am also now stuck in a half cubicle (where I can hear the conversation of the other people across from me).

But somehow I have ended up talking to random, sometimes irate, people at both jobs. I hate people, no let me rephrase that, I love people, but I hate talking to them randomly, I like predictability. How in the world did I manage to make it so that for the next 8 weeks I am working 7 days a week talking to random people at work? I spent most of the day today terrified that I was going to screw up. I also hate phones, I loathe phones, I detest phones.

Eh, I can do anything for 8 weeks, right?

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 12:47 am

If I could PASS basic training(only 6 weeks), and Tech School(another 9 weeks), you certainly can do this. Its not above your ability, you just need to keep a positive or at least pro-active mindset. Keep optimistic that you will IMPROVE as time passes and it will get easier. If you have to, break the day up by meals or something else you enjoy(thats how i managed the military!). Good luck and keep your head up.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 10:52 am

Heh... I passed basic training.... only mine was called swab summer.... mine was 8 weeks.... Then had a seizure and was thrown out... but still.... I keep just keep finding myself jobs like this.... are there any jobs out there that don't require randomness when dealing with people?

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2008, 12:19 pm

Um, There's really few jobs that dont require some sort of communication with others. You could be a programmer or systems analyst and only talk to customers and a boss but you need certifications and years of training in both.

Personally, I went back to delivery driving because of the freedom it posesses. I only have to deal with my coworkers while Im in the store. I get to meet new people and just bs with them for a minute or two while giving them food. Fairly easy job and if you seem like a good person you usually make decent tips.

Unfortunatly gas is ridiculously high now so any kind of money I WAS making has been drastically cut. Your best option(in my opinion) is to realize you have a social anxiety and should try to be respectful with your co workers. Simply state "hey guys, Im really not that social a person. its not your fault, I just would like to get my job done in a peaceful manner. If you could move your conversations I'd appreciate it." Then all you can do is hope they're good people at heart.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2008, 8:20 pm

You're picking the wrong type of jobs. You need to find a job that plays up your strengths and your interests.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2008, 11:33 pm

BitterGeek wrote:
You're picking the wrong type of jobs. You need to find a job that plays up your strengths and your interests.

"snort giggle then outright laughs...." yes I am....

(and I am not laughing at you, I just found this statement wondrously hilarious)