Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:19 am

We we take our pets to the vet this week for their checkups and shots, I want to ask the vet if he'd let me work there for expirence (I want to be a vet someday myself). How should I ask him? Should I bring up that I have AS?

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:17 am

It depends if you trust him otherwise do not tell him. I wish you well.

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:12 pm

I'd say mention your goals to him and see what happens. I have realized that people in a certain field are usually very passionate about what they do and are more than happy to help out others who show an interest in their area of study. I would say only bring up the AS if you think it will be an issue.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:14 pm

Maybe ask if you can volunteer there. That way neither of you have the stress of the employer/employee relationship, you'll get an idea if you really like working with animals, and if he/she sees how you work, they might hire you.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:44 pm

Vet school is harder to get into than medical school, so anybody that's a vet really wanted to be one.

Animal people tend to be pretty weird anyway, and every vet knows that, so being an aspie will be less of a disadvantage than if you wanted to be a salesman or something.

If you can keep scared animals calm, and you can concentrate on doing your job in an environment that includes things like blood, vomit, injections, urine, feces, animals in pain, and the chance of getting hurt, that's going to count for a lot more than having a charming conventional personality.

If you're dealing with the public at all, you'll be talking to people about their animals, which you'll probably find a lot more agreeable than trying to make idle conversation.

What you said in your initial post is about all there is to it. You're interested in becoming a vet and you'd like to get some experience. They'll be noticing your aspie traits probably anyway. I wouldn't see a reason to bring it up unless you see a reason to bring it up.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina