Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Phillip_J_Fry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2011, 12:58 am

I just started a new job on 21 Feb, and already 3 ppl (out of about 16 total) have commented on my talking to myself. I have played it off so far, like I was just cursing my computer for not working, or something to that effect. But I know that this is going to continue, as that is how I am, so I have to prepare for the accusations.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have no intentions of telling ANYONE I am Autistic, but I might go for "quirky/eccentric".

The thing that makes me the angriest is the fact that NTs get weirded out by it at all. Talking to yourself means NOTHING. They just confuse it with what schizophrenic people do, which isn't even talking to themselves, as they actually think there is someone else there.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:58 am

I'm NT, but I talk to myself ALL THE TIME! It relieves stress for me, it helps me think through something, it helps me rehearse something that I need to say to a person. I try to keep quiet, but people comment that they can hear me mumble. I am who I am, and this is what I do. I just tell them that I know I do it, and it works for me, and after a while when they get used to it being a part of you they will leave you alone.

Just shrug it off. It's not excentric, it's just you.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:07 am

Buy a Bluetooth earpiece. Pair it to your cell phone. If it has a light on it, it will flash intermittently while it's on. People will think you're on the phone to someone. :lol:

Lots of people talk to themselves...most are just better at hiding it.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:46 am

I talk to myself all the time. :lol:
if i'm doing paperwork especially.

Phillip_J_Fry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2011, 11:37 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Buy a Bluetooth earpiece. Pair it to your cell phone. If it has a light on it, it will flash intermittently while it's on. People will think you're on the phone to someone. :lol:

That is a brilliant idea! But we're not supposed to be on the phone at work, so that would probably get in trouble.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 11:38 am

awesome username, btw.