What are your thoughts on this?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:14 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
Obviously this teacher is wrong and out of line. On the plus side from a pragmatic stand point, you know her position, and therefore when you need to go over her head to get her to implement the IEP properly. My son's first grade teacher had "honest" moments where she would say harsh, ridiculous things, and I think it encouraged me to take action faster than the when he had nice, sugar-coating kind of teachers, where I assumed things were Ok and they were not.

True. It's better to know her true position.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 8:20 am

Practically speaking people like being on a winning team. I'm wondering, does he have an IEP now? Regardless, if the neuropsychological testing indicates that he has a reading disability and given that you feel like he's smart would he listen to books rather than read them? If he would enjoy that it may make more of an impression when he's read the latest books and keeping up with classwork and you can get him enrolled in Bookshare and NLS in the US, hopefully something wherever you are, so that he can keep up with the reading. That's besides the library has things to listen to.

Of course this depends on good auditory comprehension. Maybe I shouldn't assume. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 8:47 am

I have a sense that your son will be a winner. He just has to adjust somewhat.

That's what I had to do when I was his age.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

I've had a few teachers preordain my failure.

Once, when I "graduated" from sixth grade, I presented my "diary" for my teacher to sign. She told me, point blank, "I don't see you making it past junior high." What an occasion to say that to me! LOL

You think I listened? I just blew it off!

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

Waterfalls wrote:
given that you feel like he's smart would he listen to books rather than read them?

My son uses his Kindle to read. You can get most books with a voiceover feature. He still reads while he listens, but it helps him get through the book and improves his reading comprehension. He has a tendency to skip lines and reread lines without the voiceover. His teachers have said this is OK. I don't know if this would help with dyslexia or not, but it has helped my son quite a bit.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:18 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Waterfalls wrote:
given that you feel like he's smart would he listen to books rather than read them?

My son uses his Kindle to read. You can get most books with a voiceover feature. He still reads while he listens, but it helps him get through the book and improves his reading comprehension. He has a tendency to skip lines and reread lines without the voiceover. His teachers have said this is OK. I don't know if this would help with dyslexia or not, but it has helped my son quite a bit.

Yes, it is said to help dyslexic kids to listen while they look at a device, but also reading can be distracting from understanding the content. My daughter understands far more from just listening than if she tries to read herself. And so much is available free which I'm very thankful for.