I wrote a book for Spectrum kids about facial expressions

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DiscoSoup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2015, 1:13 am

It's called Making Faces. It's coming out likely in about 6-8 weeks. I'm very excited.

Making Faces is a slim book that covers over a dozen facial expressions. The even-numbered pages have a picture of a model making a face, which is accompanied by a question and two clues. The next page identifies the emotion, gives two indicators that kids can use to determine what each facial expression means. They end with advice about what to do or how to speak with someone in each emotional state.

Again, I'm very excited. I'll update here when the book comes out.

DiscoSoup

28 Feb 2015, 11:21 am

Oh, and here's the cover:

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm

Congrats on getting published!

We used to do something similar a lot when my kids were younger...point out certain facial expressions and "break it down" regarding what it meant and what you were "supposed" to do in response. We did the same with social scenarios on tv (pause the tv...how do you think he/she feels? why? what could you say/do back?) What I have noticed is they can learn many (but maybe not all) of the things their typical peers know, they just need to learn in in a very overt manner, whereas typpies learn it incidentally.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

even though it is a good thing to get your book published, i doubt how much use it will be.

case in point: i will assume the front cover showed two different facial expressions, but to me, they are basically identical.
there is not much use explaining the meaning of expressions when one is incapable of seeing the difference.

dont get me wrong, it will be a great resource, but far from all autistics will be able to benefit from it, since it assumes a skill which not all of us have

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

Good luck with the book!

cakedashdash
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2015, 6:39 pm

Big time congrats

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm

Quote:
They end with advice about what to do or how to speak with someone in each emotional state.

There are a lot of books/workbooks/flashcards that have pictures of facial expressions. Yours is the first I've heard that offers advice for successful interaction once the expression has been interpreted, however. It's a great idea, because there's no point in learning to read expressions if you have no idea how to use the information.

DiscoSoup

04 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

It's out today at the CreateSpace store. It should be on Amazon soon and then available through major retailers in a few weeks.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2015, 8:57 am

That looks interesting. Congratulations. Here are games we developed for emotion blindness and face blindness.
http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/EmotionGames.html (Emotion blindness, or Alexithymia, occurs in 10% of the total population, and 85% of adults labeled with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).)
http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FaceGames.html (face blindness affects 2-2.5% of the total population and 40% to 66% of people with autism and Asperger’s.)

Would you like to work together?