Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:24 pm

My daughter had a big meltdown again after school. I made the mistake of taking her to the dentist and then to the store after school. She came home and I told her she needed to go somewhere quiet and cool. She went to her closet where I saw that she had made herself a swing out of a very long strip of fabric. It's been there a while I just thought it was another one of her random tied up things. She was sitting in it and swaying. She refused other ideas I offered to help her get that floating on an axis feeling. It's not safe in my opinion and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an indoor swing, preferably one that doesn't leave any marks or has to be screwed in as we rent and do not own our house.

Screaming, raging breakdown here. I wish they'd carry these things in stores and I wish they weren't so expensive.

Thanks.

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

I don't know what your budget is, but what about one of those stand alone chair hammocks? I've seen them at REI, I think. There's the hammock (that can also be used outside on a tree) and there's the stand part (when you have no tree) that is probably purchased separately. Google "chair hammock" and "chair hammock stand" and you'll see options (not just REI).

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 7:56 pm

I saw some stand alone swings in Heartsong I think it's called.

If you have access to a basement with exposed wood to hang something from that could work.

The OT catalogs carry all kinds of things.

And there's a pressure bar you can put in a doorway for smaller kids up to early elementary.

I made a large hammock type swing with Lycra fabric and rope rated for a fair amount of weight. It was stretchy and comforting, sewed with many seams to be stronger. My daughter liked that a lot. So did the typical kids!

zette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

Pier One has something similar. The Swingasan stand is $200. I would be concerned about it tipping over if they swing too hard, though.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

She is so wise to understand what she needs. Certainly a big part of it is the swing, but another part is her safe closet "cave". Does the closet have wood all around the inside to hold up the overhead shelf? If so you can put a thick pipe or even 2x4 across the wood with small brackets to hold it in place. Then a traditional swing set swing can be attached to the pipe. Or if you can find the ceiling stud in the closet, you can install a heavy duty hook/eyes to attach the swing. Then you would only have 2 little holes in a closet to repair. Just a little plaster. As long as the ceiling is white you would not need to paint.

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
My daughter had a big meltdown again after school. I made the mistake of taking her to the dentist and then to the store after school. She came home and I told her she needed to go somewhere quiet and cool. She went to her closet where I saw that she had made herself a swing out of a very long strip of fabric. It's been there a while I just thought it was another one of her random tied up things. She was sitting in it and swaying. She refused other ideas I offered to help her get that floating on an axis feeling. It's not safe in my opinion and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an indoor swing, preferably one that doesn't leave any marks or has to be screwed in as we rent and do not own our house.

Screaming, raging breakdown here. I wish they'd carry these things in stores and I wish they weren't so expensive.

Thanks.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 6:48 am

Thank you for your recommendations. I will look into those. I had forgotten about those basket-like swings people use to put on their porches.

The shelves in the closet are those white-painted metal bar set-ups you can buy at places like Lowe's.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:00 am

I think I will start looking for stands in our local second-hand shops. I could also easily make a hammock seat myself. I sew and there is a material in our local fabric store that I think would do very well for this. It's made from recycled plastic bottles and feels very durable but it is also stretchy. I think it could hold my daughter's weight for a few years.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
I think I will start looking for stands in our local second-hand shops. I could also easily make a hammock seat myself. I sew and there is a material in our local fabric store that I think would do very well for this. It's made from recycled plastic bottles and feels very durable but it is also stretchy. I think it could hold my daughter's weight for a few years.

If you go with the stretchy material, try to design the swing such that it goes from mid thigh to the shoulders, giving deep pressure over most of her trunk (a big hug). That will further calm and focus her. Let her pick the color. Take her to the store and wrap her self in the fabric to see if she likes it.

Going for maximum impact, as long as she does not suffer from depression: If she has picked out an calming essential oil she likes, add a scent pocket near nose level. Add her favorite calming music. You may not be able to get her out of there. But when she comes out on her own she will be much more mellow.

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2015, 4:18 am

We have one of these in the living room:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19809351/
All the kids love it - sometimes to calm themselves (cocooning themselves and rocking gently) and sometimes to burn off some energy with wild swinging when they're a bit hyperactive.
It does need bolting into the ceiling, i.e. drilling some holes into it, but those are easily filled with a bit of wall filler and a putty knife whenever you move out. Only took me a couple of minutes last time we moved.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2015, 7:08 am

This is an excellent sensory swing.

InYard (TM) Unique High Quality Elastic Hammock Swing for Kids, Made of Lycra Fabric. Great to Be Used Indoor & Outdoor - Yard, Camping, Travel, Picnic. Good for Sitting, Standing& Lying Down. Machine Washable. (Dark Blue, Light Blue, Green, Purple, Lilach). Unique Elastic Fabric Hammock. Can Carry Up To 35KG/80LBS. Machine Washable Up To 30 Celcius/ 86 Farenheit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8CX8KO?psc=1

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 4:28 pm

I like the Ikea one.

For now I have put an exercise bar we had over her doorway. She swings on that with her hands. It's done wonders.

cakedashdash
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2015, 4:05 pm

If you are looking for an indoor swing look for a manufacture.
When the put autism in the title they tend to jack up the price for the same swing.

I know not all autistic children and teens like exercise balls
My child uses a Exercise ball sometimes
Its cheap

My child also likes spinning chairs