Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GwinnaUnbound
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2015, 9:21 am

What are the biggest challenges parents on the spectrum face?

It's really difficult for me to be able to focus on my son when all I can think of is my special interests and how I wish I had more time for them. I feel so divided and guilty for this. It's also hard to engage in the socialization my son needs. At this point in my life, I'd prefer being a hermit. I've also had sensory problems dealing with a loud and rambunctious toddler who may also be on the spectrum.

I love him so much, but since I was just recently diagnosed, I had no clue I would have so many functional problems as a parent. Being a good parent is such a struggle for me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

I can relate to everything you say there. I also hate screaming at him but his whining and shouting get to me so I shout back and the fact he will try and grab me and not listen so it often feels like I am being harassed by him. I don't think he is doing it on purpose because he is four and kids do test their limits and do stuff to provoke you to push your buttons to see what they can get away with. Normal kid stuff. I doubt he is doing all this to bully and torment me. Then with him being rambunctious and my baby fussing, it makes it real hard for me. Too much chaos.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.