akward walk...my childs feet turn out when he walks....

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2006, 3:41 pm

You'd have to kill me before letting both my son's feet be broken and put in casts for 6 weeks.

Have you considered having him study ballet? I had an extemely awkward gait and started studying ballet at age 10. A "turn out" is encouraged in ballet and the strength he develops could help him have more control over his feet/ limbs. It did help me a lot.

Momof9yroldASson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2006, 7:43 pm

Actually he goes to a performing arts school. I don't know if yall have magnet schools in your area, but you have to apply for them at the main school board down town here. They select students randomly from a computer. These schools are much better than the regular public schools here. He has been there for 2 years. Besides the regular curriculum they study ballet, movement, jazz,gymnastics& Drama. I wanted him to go to this school because I thought these things would help him with his clumsiness. His Movement teacher is one of the ones who specifically asked me if I had had them checked out. I really don't want to do the surgery either, but I don't want him to have problems later in life either. I will find out at the next doctors visit. Thats going to have a large bearing on our decision.

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2006, 3:16 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
You'd have to kill me before letting both my son's feet be broken and put in casts for 6 weeks.

I can understand why you feel the way you do, but if you believed it would be in your son's best interest long term, I think most mothers could do it. My daughter has big bunions on both her feet that started developing when she was four years old. They cause her some pain when she walks, but her orthopedist does not recommend surgery at this time. We have tried braces, but they did not help. If the bunions get bad enough, she will need surgery. If she needs surgery, as hard as it will be for her to get through, she will have the surgery.

Momof9yroldASson, I am glad you are seeking a second and maybe even a third opinion on this, but once you, your husband and the doctors decide what will be the best long term decision for your son, I know you will get through it and so will your son, no matter what the decision is.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2006, 11:56 am

I would have bunions removed. I would not break both my son's feet because he had an awkward gait.

Have you asked your son if he wants both his feet broken to "fix" his walk?

Marian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2006, 12:57 pm

My son's feet turn out too.

We also took him to an orthopedic doctor when he was very young and he wanted to do the same surgery. We decided not to have it done.

My son had enough to deal with at the time and I couldn't imagine dealing with his hyperactivity after a surgery on his feet.

He's 14 now. His feet still turn out. He has an awkward gait but I never hear anyone teasing him about it. There are plenty of other things they pick on him for though.

It doesn't seem to bother him either physically or emotionally.

nettie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2006, 5:05 pm

HI! I am new here also. I would like to thank Momof9yroldASson for posting your probelm with your son's feet. I have 2 children on the spectrum. The oldest is a daugher who is now 24yrs old. Her feet are turned outward as well. At first I didn't realize that this probelm was connected to her autism (caught her AS late as well). Her doctor recommended that I have her feet evaluated in the hope that they could be straightened out. Luckily I read your post before I arrived at the doctor's office. It confirmed my worst fears of just what I felt he would recommmend. I asked my daughter if she would be willing to undergo such a painful proceedure for the privilege of being able to walk straight like the rest of us, not to mention the curious stares of others. She quickly replied, "No mom. My feet don't bother me that bad." Being the "adult person" that she is, I will respect her wishes until she says otherwise. In the meantime I think we may decide to go just to see if he sugests an alternative treatment. I don't hold out much hope though. I feel you are doing the right thing to get a second opinion, especially when it comes to any long term pain or suffering he may also endure if he doesn't receive this treatment. With this info I am sure you will be better able to make a decision that is in your son's best interest. :D