Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

I am summoned to a large meeting. Everyone but the CSE chair and I am angry, forgive me being cynical, part of me says that's on purpose because they will want to blame me and make me fix something I can't.

My child has been isolating and acting snotty and upset in school. They want this to stop. She reports she sits alone doing worksheets and other children who are newer to remediation are provided with direct instruction. She is not receiving direct instruction during the time she was told this would occur. But she is watching the other children receive this. The levels are different but she needs the direct instruction. I suspect she could benefit anyway even at the wrong level but that is not happening. I only have her word for it, but there are some clues that even if exaggerated, she is overall reporting accurately.

My heart breaks for my child. I have been crying for days. I
know that demanding they stop subjecting my child to the sight of other more promising students being given direct instruction and then criticiZing her emotionality and withdrawal is unlikely to restore direct instruction. But I don't know how to make things better and want that.

My child is no angel, and can be uncooperative, so I suppose she might have refused....but this is all wrong! And although she is acting spectrumy right now, she is at most a bit BAP. I am just posting here because you are the moms I know who seem to have a good handle on schools. Please help, I don't know what to do that will not make things worse and I know anything that seems like I am criticizing the sped teacher may make people protective of her. And, it is too late to hide that i am upset about her. What can I do to salvage?

Last edited by Waterfalls on 23 Oct 2015, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 6:52 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
I am summoned to a large meeting. Everyone but the CSE chair and I am angry, forgive me being cynical, part of me says that's on purpose because they will want to blame me and make me fix something I can't.

My child has been isolating and acting snotty and upset in school. They want this to stop. She reports she sits alone doing worksheets and other children who are newer to remediation are provided with direct instruction. She is not receiving direct instruction during the time she was told this would occur. But she is watching the other children receive this, ostensibly because the your needs are different. I suspect she could benefit anyway even at the wrong level but that is not happening.

My heart breaks for my child. I have been crying for days. I Km
know that demanding they stop this is unlikely to restore direct instruction. But I don't know how to make things better and want that. My child is no angel, but although she is acting spectrumy right now, she is at most a bit BAP. I am just posting here because you are the moms I know who seem to have a good handle on things. Please help, I don't know what to do that will not make things worse. And they already do know I am upset. It is too late I could not hide that.

Does she have an IEP ? Is direct instruction or RSP services written in that IEP, if so ? Is she on a 504 ? Do you have anything in writing offering her RSP services ?

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 7:46 pm

I don't know what rsp is.

Her IEP does not specify how services will be delivered. Just that she will have direct intervention and that is (sort of) being delivered. She is seated in a room with a sped teacher and given worksheets to do. While other children receive the direct instruction. I am frightened because my experience has been when I have complained about service delivery, they threaten service removal. I know they are bullying me but when I have called in the state everyone is mad at me too.

I know this is wrong but I want to give up. I won't, but I don't have the strength to fight anymore. I thought finally maybe things were ok. And every time I think that someone pulls something. I am so tired right now.

But technically, I think they are within their rights to do this as they are putting her in a room with the sped teacher. And I know I am lucky she is healthy and able to unseat and, but it kills me she understands she's been deemed a failure no longer worth educating. Not enough to go along, I will pull myself together to demand something, but I am too upset to figure out tact right now. That's why I posted I don't know how to act or what to say.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 10:11 pm

This is RSP :

http://achieve.lausd.net/Page/4275

http://www.wisegeek.org/in-education-what-is-rsp.htm

Normally, RSP is delivered via an IEP. This makes it a legal contract between district and student. The IEP will also specify HOW the service will be delivered (group vs individual) and how often (example : 2 times per week). If the district checked the box that says "group", next to the service description, then they are providing services as agreed.

If, however, the district checked the box that says "Individual", but your daughter is telling you that all she does is sit in a corner, and complete worksheets, that is a breach of contract.

Most (not all, but most) kids who qualify for RSP services are learning disabled or have other mild / moderate disabilities. So, I don't know why your daughter thinks that she has been deemed "uneducatable" just because she does not get 1:1 from the Resource teacher. Did someone tell her that ? I would be freaked mad, if so.

Secondly, you have rights. They can't bully you and threaten you with terminating services if you question them. An IEP is a legal contract, and if RSP services were written to an IEP, well, I HOPE they threaten you because then you can go see a pitbull attorney who will take the district to the cleaners ! Now, do bear in mind that if RSP is being delivered through a 504, then you have a lot less chance of enforcing the service. So, your first step would be to verify that there is an IEP involved, not a 504.

I totally get you on not having the tact to deal with prickly resource room teachers politely. I am the exact same way. You also want to start creating a nice paper trail, giving the district enough rope with which to hang themselves. So, start emailing them (the special ed teacher, with a cc to the school principal and a blind carbon copy to yourself). Unless you swear in your emails or are otherwise insulting towards them, it's hard to detect tone in an email. Use it to your advantage. Play dumb and ask them as innocently as you can that your daughter is stating that all she does in the resource room is sitting in a corner doing worksheets, and if this is accurate, and if she gets any 1:1 with the teacher at any time during the week / whilst in the room ?

Then, sit back and wait for their response. Cross-check what they say about service delivery with what your IEP says. Check everything they say with your daughter to verify veracity. If there's a mismatch between how they are delivering services and what the IEP provides, or a mismatch between their version and your daughter's version, let them know this, and ask for the RSP teacher's work log. By law, they have to share a service provider's work log with you, although they will not tell you this. If the logs don't agree with what they're telling you, call an emergency IEP to "discuss this matter". You may want to take an advocate with you to this IEP meeting, if you feel that you cannot possibly advocate assertively for your child. An advocate will know exactly what to say / do to ensure that the district personnel follow the law and provide the services that your child is entitled to, per her IEP.

If it turns out that RSP is being delivered via a 504, as opposed to an IEP, then you must request an IEP meeting, and get the service written into an IEP, where it has a lot more teeth. Again, go to the meeting with an advocate. There will be some upfront costs involved in getting an advocate, but these people are worth their weight in gold in terms of how much they can do for your child.

But your first step is to start gathering information, to build up enough of a nice case that the district will not even try to fight you anymore. Tigers that crouch, survey the landscape, spot the weaklings, and THEN go for the kill get their preys ! :)

Good luck !

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 6:14 am

Is it possible to go in an observe? They hate this too, by the way b/c they don't want you to see how they cut corners and you are likely to see their best behavior. It still might tell you something, though. Sometimes they are so out of touch with what they should be doing, they don't try to hide it b/c they don't even think what they are doing is bad. Then you can tell them why your child needs to be handled in x way and not y way.

I would word it by saying you feel you really need to see what it is going on, so you can help them, help your daughter.

if they have things they want you to fix, and you say that you have trouble understanding unless you see what is going on -- this might help.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 3:33 pm

Observing is a very good idea, thank you.

Her IEP does not actually say she will get direct instruction, but yes. Sped teacher told me she would get direct instruction and my child told me sped teacher said she would to her as well. Not necessarily 1:1 but direct instruction relevant to her needs. She is only getting worksheets and is not at a level where working on her own is IMO appropriate. Not in sped teachers opinion either or she wouldn't have said she would provide direct instruction. My child is watching other children get this, but she does not. Her level is slightly different. She is generally well behaved, I suspect the boys who are with her might start wrestling if they weren't being attended to, and doubt sped teacher could get away with telling them to sit and do a worksheet. My child's willingness and ability to be on her own may be part of it. She can be on her own without climbing the furniture or pushing someone.

I am so frustrated and worried they will not want to change anything in a useful way. :(

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 3:54 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
Her IEP does not actually say she will get direct instruction, but yes. Sped teacher told me she would get direct instruction and my child told me sped teacher said she would to her as well. Not necessarily 1:1 but direct instruction relevant to her needs.

What exactly does the IEP say ? Can you share what is written under "Services" in the services page ?

If your IEP does not explicitly state that she will get 1:1 RSP, then it may not happen. The school district is only legally obligated to provide what the IEP says they should. Anything the teacher says or the principal says to you or your child, unfortunately, but which is not written in the IEP, does not count.

If you want her to have 1:1 direct instruction which is not currently written in her IEP, then you need to call a meeting and amend the existing IEP to specify that your daughter will receive one-to-one RSP (for x times a week, y minutes per time).

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 12:59 pm

I am scared they will react poorly to my calling for a meeting. I think people might be afraid of annoying the CSE chair by going back to her? And might take the suggestion negatively. But that is what I want, is an IEP that says direct instruction, not resource room.

How can I say I want this without them circling the wagons and saying it's not that bad? I am frightened if the CSE chair doesn't hear there's a problem from the teachers, she'll do nothing, and I'm afraid the teachers who are alarming me will back off as soon as the suggestion they need more help comes.....even though it's really my daughter who needs the help!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 1:26 pm

You are entitled to call for an IEP meeting. It's your right and they have no business reacting to it in any other way scheduling a meeting.

If you keep rephrasing things in terms of your daughter's needs and say nothing but complimentary things about the teachers, they will probably support you. If they get the feeling that this is somehow reflecting badly on their performance, they are likely to be hostile.

Good luck.

I just went through an IEP meeting for my daughter and they were all fine with it. I think the science teacher likes her more than he did before because of things he learned in the meeting. She is now being reevaluated by the Child Study Team. They are revisiting all her academic skills, doing a social assessment and may be recommending a neurological assessment. It can be intimidating but necessary things can come from that process.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks you, yes. It is hard to remember to say nice things when I am not feeling like being nice. I can't actually say nice things unless I block myself from being mad.

I wish they were so careful to be nice to me since they expect that.

I am wondering whether I might be able to explain away having been overwhelmed by saying that it was disappointing to hear there were starting to be problems resurfacing, and that it's becoming clear they see this, and I am wondering if they are wanting to ask for a CSE meeting because I am feeling this is what this means? How to do that. And stay positive :( :cry:

I know I have a right to ask for a CSE meeting for her.....I just fear them saying no when it gets to the actual service delivery. They are always threatening what they won't do..... And so I am scared.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 2:24 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
Thanks you, yes. It is hard to remember to say nice things when I am not feeling like being nice. I can't actually say nice things unless I block myself from being mad.

I wish they were so careful to be nice to me since they expect that.

I am wondering whether I might be able to explain away having been overwhelmed by saying that it was disappointing to hear there were starting to be problems resurfacing, and that it's becoming clear they see this, and I am wondering if they are wanting to ask for a CSE meeting because I am feeling this is what this means? How to do that. And stay positive :( :cry:

I know I have a right to ask for a CSE meeting for her.....I just fear them saying no when it gets to the actual service delivery. They are always threatening what they won't do..... And so I am scared.

What is a CSE meeting ? Are you in the US ?

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

The CSE is the committee for special eduction. This is what any services must go through if the child needs services for a disability. The school can make some accommodations without going brought the CSE. The CSE handles children who need more.

The chairperson is in charge of interpreting the rules and laws and also of giving services (or not).

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 3:30 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
The CSE is the committee for special eduction. This is what any services must go through if the child needs services for a disability. The school can make some accommodations without going brought the CSE. The CSE handles children who need more.

The chairperson is in charge of interpreting the rules and laws and also of giving services (or not).

If she has an IEP, then she is already receiving special education, even if she is placed in a mainstream classroom. The accommodation provided by the school for children who are not under the purview of the CSE is written and delivered via a 504 which is why I asked you to verify if you have an IEP or a 504.

I may be (in fact, I hope that I am) wrong, but I suspect that your daughter was promised RSP via a 504. IMO, a 504 is pretty toothless and you should push for RSP via an IEP. I would agree to meet with the CSE and not delay this any further.

Good luck !

Edited for syntax.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Last edited by HisMom on 26 Oct 2015, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 3:49 pm

It is an IEP however although she is to be measured for progress, the intervention is only resource room.

I think my only hope here is if they want her to have more and getting them to feel her pain and want to go against inertia and go back midyear....I am afraid as I was before she was identified, I can feel something isn't right but am afraid I won't be persuasive and have trouble keeping people's attention to persuade them. I do not think there is anyone I can bring available though.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 5:39 pm

Waterfalls wrote:

It is an IEP however although she is to be measured for progress, the intervention is only resource room.

Which checkbox is ticked ? Individual or group ?

Waterfalls wrote:
I think my only hope here is if they want her to have more and getting them to feel her pain and want to go against inertia and go back midyear....I am afraid as I was before she was identified, I can feel something isn't right but am afraid I won't be persuasive and have trouble keeping people's attention to persuade them. I do not think there is anyone I can bring available though.

You can find advocacy agencies in your state -- google for "disability rights" followed by the name of your state. They will advocate assertively for your daughter and you won't even have to speak at the meeting (if you would much rather not).

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 8:11 pm

It's group. I wouldn't even mind group if she were included :(