Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

He's only 4 so I don't know if this is silly or not, but my son automatically identifies with the "bad guys" in any movie he watches. He's very fond of "Ratatouille" but his favorite character is Chef Skinner (I think because he's so short). He always pretends he's got a "shooting gun" even though he has not been exposed to much tv violence, and he likes to reenact scenes with fighting. Is this just a boy thing?

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

My four year old is insisting that he be allowed to dress up as Dr. Doom when we go to Dragon*con this year. He was okay with dressing as Antman or Thor, but what gets him really going is the villains. He can do the villain Mwahahahaha thing /perfectly/, and goes around saying that he is a super villain (when he's not a Magic Super Hero--depends on his mood). I don't know if this is normal or not, but he does it.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

I don't think it is necessarily a specific boy thing. I always felt bad as a child, for the villains in the Batman TV show (The one with Adam West) because the villains were more interesting and fun. Also Adam West's version of Batman was too goody-goody to be interesting to me. I knew the villains would lose (They always did) and they seemed like the underdogs. I could not understand why they would waste time explaining what they did and in doing so give Batman and Robin time to escape.

My son likes to mentally reform villains in imaginative play, so that they are only a little mischievous. I would not say he is obsessed with them, but he likes to "fix" them so that they only do silly, goofy and basically harmless pranks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 1:27 pm

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Both of mine have liked the bad guys and the good guys at different times and pulled for each. I think it's probably because something appeals to them more about one character than the other, whether it's a good guy or a bad guy. Good guys aren't always written as likable characters. Remember Melanie Wilks? I don't know anybody that liked her, except maybe my mother. Everybody I know said she is too demure and a doormat and to be honest, even though she's a good guy, she's not anybody I would want to spend more than ten minutes with.

If you are concerned about it, ask him what it is about the bad guy he likes. Don't make a big deal about it, just ask and then say "oh". Ask about another character he likes, maybe a good guy this time. Do it a few times and see if you can figure out what he's picking up on and noticing. Kids can notice stuff that goes completely over our heads.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

moonmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

I think its a mixed bag. Yes its a boy thing but add on a spectrum brain and it can become quite a fixation then add on the difficulty differentiating fantasy from reality and it then becomes more challenging to redirect. I know every family is different but we opted to limit this tendency in our little guy. I know he needs "down" time to relax since so many social demands are made of him at school and we accomodate that as much as we can. We are trying to offer a variety of outlets for his "boyness" and while its no walk in the park so far he seems to be understanding where we are coming from not always happy about it but at least being reasonable about it. THe more flexible and diverse he learns to be the better for him eventually.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 8:58 am

A lot of kids like the bad guys. Please don't worry about trying to act out the bad guy's acts in real life!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 10:37 am

Boy thing, kid thing, people thing... yeah, pretty much!

You have to admit that it's a good villain who makes the story. Think about Darth Vader or Sauron--without them, there wouldn't be a story. They're dramatic, powerful; they're the catalyst for everything that happens. They break rules we'd never think of breaking. They are, in short, fascinating, and it's no wonder that many of us are enthralled.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 11:53 pm

My daughter changed her name on our internet family schedule (cozi) to "The Eye of Sauron"