Mark Hutten; Launching Children with Aspergers

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rockinthespectrum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2013, 11:26 pm

I was this close to purchasing Mark Hutten's "Complete Guide to Teaching Students with Aspergers and HFA" to share with my son's new teachers, but something told me to check around before I did. I was kind of surprised I hadn't seen his name around since I've been researching the topic for almost 6 years now (since my almost 10-year-old was diagnosed). I'm so glad lostinholland put their experience up here last year!

rockinthespectrum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2013, 11:39 pm

For Ilovemyaspiegirl, I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. I hope you can eventually find some peace with the fact that you could not have prevented your husband's suicide and that you loved him the best you could with the information you both had at the time. Please don't assume that Asperger's is the root cause in the situation. It sounds like he probably had a mental health condition that he struggled with as well. Aspies are at higher risk for anxiety and depression, which if untreated can lead to a lot of emotional pain, physical symptoms, suicidal ideations, etc. I worry about this, since my son is Aspie with ADHD, I have had depression and anxiety over the years (treated with both talk therapy and meds), and my husband has had depression...let's just say the genetic/medical tendencies are all lined up against him so I'm watching his mood carefully.

You asked for advice for your daughter and I would strongly recommend that you find a child psychologist and/or child psychiatrist with experience in treating children on the autism spectrum. If you are near a medical school that has affiliated hospitals and clinics, you should be able to find someone in that environment who accepts Medicaid. There may be a lengthy waiting list, in which case I suggest setting an appointment for the earliest available date, but be prepared to take her to the ER (preferably a children's hospital if you have one close to you--or at least the most reputable hospital for pediatric care) if she threatens suicide. It would surely be a "day from hell" spent in the ER, but it would get her seen by a professional in a crisis situation.

Our Aspie son had challenging behavior at school too and was eventually diagnosed as having ADHD. We took him to a child psychologist who saw what was going on in the classroom and recommended a child psychiatrist. We struggled with the decision to medicate, but it was definitely the best for him. He doesn't have unusual mood swings, but we have been advised to keep an eye out for that possibility. As educational demands increase with age, the pressure on children who have to work harder to get through the typical school day can become overwhelming. I like to imagine myself at my son's age and then think how would I have felt if 1) I had to concentrate extra hard to decipher the unspoken social rules in every interaction with teachers and classmates and 2) I had to struggle to keep my body from climbing out of my skin in order to sit still while also paying attention to what the teacher is saying and ignoring the sensory input of 20+ kids in the classroom, the fluorescent lights, and my random thoughts about that music video I would rather be watching at the moment. From the time he was 3 years old, I recognized that he needed "down time" just as much as we assume adults do. On the drive home from daycare I'd bombard him with questions and get a lot of silence or, at most, "I don't know" from him. Finally, I told him if he didn't feel like talking at that moment he just needed to say "I don't want to talk about it." He was just socially exhausted from a long day at daycare!

I also just found a great guide to Asperger's for dealing with the school and your daughter's teachers that you might appreciate. It is available for free download on the Organization for Autism Research's website. Search for "Life Journey Through Autism: An Educator's Guide to Asperger's Syndrome." In addition, you can find very helpful info from both Tony Attwood and Stephen Shore. My all-time favorite Aspie, because of his sense of humor and that his book "Look Me in the Eye" helped me understand that eye contact just isn't the be-all-end-all, is John Elder Robison. All of these can easily be found online.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Planet Maker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2017, 11:04 am

My wife was hounding me to get this e-bunk book, but before I pulled the trigger I looked for reviews of the book and notices every time anyone made an attempt to get a refund Mark was a total ass hole in his unprofessional response

Could this scammer be anymore convincing of being a dick?

Maybe he's the one that needs his e-bunk book to warm his fire place :roll:

https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/h ... tton.3665/

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm

This idiot is a fraud and thinks that just because his kid has Asperger's, he seems to think that ALL people with Asperger's are alike. He's not a psychologist, but a probation officer.

Planet Maker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Feb 2017, 4:41 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
This idiot is a fraud and thinks that just because his kid has Asperger's, he seems to think that ALL people with Asperger's are alike. He's not a psychologist, but a probation officer.

Watch out he'll track you down and sue you for $20 to buy his e-crap book, lol!

Planet Maker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Feb 2017, 5:00 pm

TallyMan wrote:
WARNING:

This book must be really bad. I've just deleted three fake member accounts and associated posts in this thread in support of this book. They were all made by the same person pretending to be three different members. It is quite possible the author made the posts here in this underhand manner to try to boost sales of his book.

I'm just one account, so you must have money to be made ha?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 5:17 pm

Planet Maker wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Watch out he'll track you down and sue you for $20 to buy his e-crap book, lol!

LOL! From what I've read here, I wouldn't put it past him.

Kraggy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2023, 7:58 am

Thank you for writing this review. I was wondering why this man is peddling a sort of magic formula to parents with Aspie teens/ young adults. They do and always will struggle. He seems to make very high achieving promises that parents might be deperate to hear. Mostly it is alarming how this supposed 'professional' has responded to some very basic criticism. He is beginning to sound like one of those dreaded narcissists :/ I was about to get his eBook. But I will refrain till I guage his professionalism further. Your review is very valuable, thank you.

Kraggy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2023, 10:16 am

lostinholland wrote:
I didn't exaggerate at all. If you read my first post you can see where I quote Mark Hutten verbatim; he was rude and insulting.
I have tried to confirm his credentials but have not been able to.
Forgive me for being a little suspicious Mr. 'Mole' but your first post ever to this forum is to say how wonderful Hutten's ebook and coaching is! Your style of writing resembles his.
I suppose it depends on where you're starting from but frankly, I already knew how to shop for an apartment, knew the definition of Asperger's and knew not to let anyone verbally attack me. That's why I found his book to be a waste of money. There was no substance to it. It's also why I chose to post a warning to other parents. No one who attacks a buyer for expressing disappointment with a purchase should be exposed to verbal abuse and no one prone to verbal abuse is any position to be coaching.

You seem to be discounting the review and the reviewer entirely. He still does not sound like a professional, he sounds very unprofessional, and verbally abusive. We have an aspie at home, and do not have nearly as many problems with our son as he does. ODD is often a response to abuse or neglect, on the parents part. IF this author wrote that kind of abuse to the reviewer, it does not take much imagination to consider what he has been like as a parent. :|

I wonder what his son thinks of him. Two sides to every story as the saying goes. Alot of wisdom in that.
Keeping him and his material at arms length based on that candid review until I investigate him more.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:18 pm

That authour is defiantly not a Sweet Pea.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 9:38 pm

Will this require a catapult?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 8:46 am

It's been 12 years. I wonder if the author has learned to take criticism yet.