Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 11:58 am

its important to remember to teach him how to eat properly eventually, though....otherwise, the stigma attached to eating "disgusting" can be horrid

tiredmama3
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2007, 10:03 am

My son has always eaten fast and eaten a lot of things with his hands, but lately he is messier than ever and he's 11. He always ends up with food all over his shirt and face and does not wash his face unless I make him. I give him a napkin and he doesn't use it, well I have to keep telling him to wipe his mouth.

I have not given him a fork for awhile after he threatens to throw it. That can hurt someone and they, at least my son, don't care. Be sure to make him ask nicely for more food or he doesn't get any. You may do that already and I may have missed that. Good luck, it's not easy.

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2007, 11:26 am

Katrine

My advice - DO NOT get a cream carpet. Believe me, you will live to regret it :lol:

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2007, 5:41 pm

Are aspies messy eaters? First time I've heard about this.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 11:44 pm

Don't think I was ever messy but I did have a few meltdowns where I literally threw full plates of food on the floor :oops:

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2007, 2:12 am

feed him some hot soup and a sandwich so he is warm and full then play table manners with him with plastic dishes and utensils where he practices cutting up food, spearing food and spooning up peas. I would make fake food like wadded up balls for food and puzzle pieces of food to be "cut" apart. Maybe I would sit across from him and have him shadow my movement and keep a mirror to place in front of him when he has progressed.

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2007, 2:15 am

when my fragile x brother was younger, my parents wouldn't discipline him but he looked miserable hunched over his food and they would get irritated looking at him so when we were home alone. I just told him what to do i.e. bring the food up to his mouth and not the other way around. Did you try just telling him the "right" way of doing it?

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2007, 10:44 am

That doesn't sound like autism, that sounds like he's getting a little spoiled. My advice, if he threatens you with a fork, take it from him and give him a few swats, and send him to bed a little hungry. ((Or give him the choice to eat what you give him, or go to bed)) Keep indulging him and he'll get worse, and those violent tendancies need to be put down before he hurts someone.

On better days, show him nicely how to hold a fork or a spoon, and if he gets it right, reward him. Days that he's good, and eating like he should praise him, offer dessert, or a little extra dessert, for his efforts.

This may seem harsh, and you'll want to excuse his behavior, but it's best to know why he does it, but still discipline him for it. Good luck. ^^