Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:32 pm

Yes, I have both. I'm almost done with the second one. I'm not sure which one I like more.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:36 am

darkstone100 wrote:
If anything the game is heavily inspired by Event Horizon.

Never seen that movie (and your first picture won't load).

But I recently read that EA decided to do Dead Space instead of System Shock 3, so the DOOM 3 connections there would make a lot of sense.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:54 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
darkstone100 wrote:
If anything the game is heavily inspired by Event Horizon.

Never seen that movie (and your first picture won't load).

But I recently read that EA decided to do Dead Space instead of System Shock 3, so the DOOM 3 connections there would make a lot of sense.

it was a picture of the Event Horizon (a space ship) and how the front of the ship looks almost identical to Isaac's helmet.

Also Event Horizon is kinda old but it's still a pretty good scary sci-fi flick, I recommend checking it out.

Plus the dev's got their inspiration for this game from several different sources: event horizon, doom 3, The Thing( another good scary sci fi flick, probably where they got the inspiration for the necromorphs now that I think about it) and others.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 4:02 am

Suspense, horror, a highly relatable protagonist, strong themes of survival in a hostile isolated environment, what more could I ask for in a game. Isaac was and still kind of like a hero to me. I really liked all three installments thus far. I used to be terrified of most things before I played those games. After a few years of subjecting my brain to their brutal terror nothing really scares me anymore.
My older brother dropped a bombshell of a gift upon me today. My brother somehow got to know the lead artist designer of the first two games, Ian Milham through reddit. Apparently Ian liked him enough to send him a load of free cool rare concept art signed by a large number of the art design team, the ultra collectors edition of the third game, and an original storyboard drawing for the third game. I'm foaming at the mouth right now from the overload of amazingness. :heart:

Kinda blurry, terrible picture taken from my laptop. Looks much more amazing in person or in this photo
https://twitter.com/Monkey_Pants/status ... 72/photo/1

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

I loved both Dead Space and its sequel though the first Dead Space feels more like a survival horror game. Dead Space 2 was tweaked too much to appease the masses, but still a great game nonetheless.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 1:51 pm

Zokk wrote:
I liked the first one, though it wasn't really all that scary to me (not much is, really). I should go back and replay it again before moving on to Dead Space 2.

If you didn't find the first one scary then you will probably be disappointed in that area with the 2nd one.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:01 am

Good series, don't see what all the hate for 3 was. My only gripe is that it requires you to play co-op to get all the trophies and no local co-op.

2 was the best in the series for me, everything just felt right in that game. 1 was the scariest by far for me, but I still think F.E.A.R. is the scariest game of all time.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:08 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Good series, don't see what all the hate for 3 was. My only gripe is that it requires you to play co-op to get all the trophies and no local co-op.

2 was the best in the series for me, everything just felt right in that game. 1 was the scariest by far for me, but I still think F.E.A.R. is the scariest game of all time.

That really annoyed me about three as well. After beating the pulp out of the first two games, especially the second one with Hardcore, it bummed me out that I couldn't cap off the series so far with all the achievements.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:54 am

Feyokien wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

That really annoyed me about three as well. After beating the pulp out of the first two games, especially the second one with Hardcore, it bummed me out that I couldn't cap off the series so far with all the achievements.

Sorry to go off topic, but co-op trophies / achievements annoy me to no end. I play all my games solo 99% of the time nowadays. Hell, in Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 I got almost all of the multiplayer trophies just in Wolfpack mode playing it solo, which was more fun and tense.

I hope they make a Dead Space 4 in all honesty, the DLC for 3 ended on a cliffhanger. One horror game I still need to try out is the Evil Within, since I've heard it's similar to Resident Evil 4 (which is an amazing game, awesome soundtrack too)

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

Sorry to go off topic, but co-op trophies / achievements annoy me to no end. I play all my games solo 99% of the time nowadays. Hell, in Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 I got almost all of the multiplayer trophies just in Wolfpack mode playing it solo, which was more fun and tense.

I hope they make a Dead Space 4 in all honesty, the DLC for 3 ended on a cliffhanger. One horror game I still need to try out is the Evil Within, since I've heard it's similar to Resident Evil 4 (which is an amazing game, awesome soundtrack too)

Same, any game that includes coop achievements ticks me off, especially games with local coop campaign because it becomes entirely impossible at that point.

I really want Dead Space 4 as well, but I'm not sure where they could go with it, didn't seem like a cliff hanger, just more like everyone is screwed. I need to get a next gen at some point so I can play new games in general. Really want to play Alien: Isolation.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:19 am

I wish they didn't tie some of the achievements to completion of the game on the hardest mode. In the 2nd game, you have an achievement for beating the game on the hardest difficulty WITHOUT saving more than 3 times. That's a very steep objective for a lot of people not good with FPS gaming.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:11 am

It's pretty cool. So is 2. I liked 1 the best. Kinda a bit too much run and gun and not enough adventure for me though. The universe is awesome overall otherwise.

(Haven't played 3.)

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

Dillogic wrote:
It's pretty cool. So is 2. I liked 1 the best. Kinda a bit too much run and gun and not enough adventure for me though. The universe is awesome overall otherwise.

(Haven't played 3.)

3 has an excellent weapon crafting system. A shotgun flamethrower is always badass to use. While the game isn't as scary as the first two, I find the controls to be much better and it takes place on a snowy planet, which is my favorite setting for a game (I love games that take place in winter or on a snowy planet in a sci-fi game)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:09 am

Since I made a post in this thread back in 2011 I have played the two sequels, and found that 3 was my favourite, probably because I could get myself to play without needing to check what was ahead, felt like less jumps in every area to make me have a heart attack. And a stasis chain gun with a secondary rocket launcher with safety guard and focus on increased clip, became my best friend.

I think the first may have been the scariest, and 2 has one of the best uses of fear, putting you on the Ishimura and the build of suspense was great.

as1337
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm

Compared to silent hill and resident evil they are too much of a shooter with some jump scares too me.

They have great atmosphere though and i like them because they are the closest thing to a good alien(the movie) game. (Besides metroid ofcourse)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:18 am

^^I'm enjoying Alien: Isolation. It is buggy and frustrating, but has a nice combination of linearity and exploration, and is fairly true to the atmosphere of the film(s).