(steam gaming) just wondering who uses this ? what games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

I have used Steam almost every day for the last 3 years, as I stopped caring about console games since before that time, and 90% of the games that I actually play are on there (it would be far more than 90% if you were to count the games I don't play, aka the random games I have from Humble Bundles). There are a lot of games that require Steam to play these days, so, to answer your question, 95% of people that play contemporary PC games use Steam to play them. Other than that, it's nice to use because the processes of buying games and keeping your library updated is extremely simple.

Lightligurua
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2015, 11:54 pm

I'm Osyrhia on steam. I used to play lots of console games but over the years i've steadily got into pc gaming because of how all-in-one it could be. Playing music with no interruptions, a web browser that worked and strategy games makes the difference for me. haha

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2015, 5:01 am

I love Steam. It can cost more to build a PC than it would to buy a console, but you more than make up for it with all the sales and bundles. Some of these early-access titles are the most fun games I have ever played. I re-discovered my love for gaming thanks to Steam :)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 5:37 am

I use Steam once in a while, though definitely not as much as one would think. Usually, when I'm on it's because I'm either playing TF2, or messing around in random indie games. I have a HUGE backlog of games in my library that I haven't even touched, partially because it's been a while since I've had a computer running a modern version of Windows, so I primarily stick to games I can run under Linux.

I used to play a fair amount of Counter Strike as well, but it's been a while. Since it's based on an old engine that doesn't do widescreen FOVs properly, it's a bit hard to set up on a modern machine for optimal gameplay. It's one of a few games where it's actually *better* to play in 4:3, as you get a greater vertical FOV that way. I can imagine playing at 1280x1024 would probably be the best, as it's actually a slightly narrower aspect ratio, contrary to popular belief. You always have the same horizontal FOV in GoldSrc games, so it's better to go with a narrower aspect ratio.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 7:11 pm

Before my gaming computer broke, I played on Steam everyday. Remembering on top of my head... I had Left 4 Dead, Eve, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, The Ship, South Park, Crusader Kings II, Cook Serve Delicious, all Bioshocks... I've got a lot more, but that's all I can remember.

I had just bought some of those games too. I want my gaming computer back... :(

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 7:33 pm

I was super happy with steam until a few weeks ago. I bought about 35 bucks of simbin racing games about a year ago. All of the sudden, I wasn't able to play any of them. AND I wasn't able to log into my account. Since I wasn't able to log in, I wasn't able to email them for help. I looked them up on BBB.org and found they have an F rating. I did find a phone number and left a message explaining this muck, but haven't heard back. I doubt I will. Still, I did get a ton of enjoyment out of their site for a year on 35 bucks. I'd be cautious of buying tons of stuff from them though. It appears the reason I lost access to the games I purchased is because they no longer offer them for sale. Can anyone else relate or confer?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:56 pm

noodler wrote:
I was super happy with steam until a few weeks ago. I bought about 35 bucks of simbin racing games about a year ago. All of the sudden, I wasn't able to play any of them. AND I wasn't able to log into my account. Since I wasn't able to log in, I wasn't able to email them for help. I looked them up on BBB.org and found they have an F rating. I did find a phone number and left a message explaining this muck, but haven't heard back. I doubt I will. Still, I did get a ton of enjoyment out of their site for a year on 35 bucks. I'd be cautious of buying tons of stuff from them though. It appears the reason I lost access to the games I purchased is because they no longer offer them for sale. Can anyone else relate or confer?

Firstly, not being able to log in doesnt prevent you from e-mailing them to help. You simply dont do it from inside the client.... which isnt really where you'd do it anyway. Particularly if you cant log in, as "not being able to log in" is usually the result of a lost password; I've done that a bunch of times before, since my memory is horrid. Or it can be a server screwup, though I've almost never seen that one.

Second.... I wouldnt put too much stock into that BBB stuff. Alot of people dont like Steam for one reason, and one reason only: The "DRM". Which I always try to explain ISNT actual DRM, for a variety of reasons, but nobody listens to me. Also this is the internet, where someone might file such a report because they cannot remember their own password; clearly that's everyone ELSE'S fault :roll:

Third.... dont use the phone for this. I'm actually looking at the real support page, and.... that's not even close to being part of the support process, which is what I'd suspected. It's no wonder you're not getting an answer. I dont think I've ever run into a service of this type that DOES use the phone for support. It just doesnt make sense for such a vendor. Instead, go here: https://support.steampowered.com. Like most other similar services, support is done via tickets that are set up as you go through this interface; you make a seperate "support account" to get this started. You can search in their database to see if there's info on the specific problem you're having; if not, you'll find a "contact support" button. It'll ask you to give a category and such for what kind of problem you're having, and then it'll want things like a full description, and any additional info that may be relevant to fixing it. You click submit, and it's sent to them; you then wait for one of their service guys to have a look at it and get back to you. Dont expect this to happen instantly; give them time, Steam is a HUGE service with about 10 bazillion customers, and a proper support process can be a slow thing with Steam or any other similar service. The more detail you can put into the info you give them though, the easier it will be for them to work with you to solve the issue.

Fourth, if a game HAS been removed from their service, then no, you probably cannot get at it again. It's very, very rare that something is ever removed, and generally when it DOES happen, it's the result of something caused by the publisher/developer that put it on there in the first place. I, personally, have never seen it occur, but I'm aware of some of the rare situations where it has. When something is removed, it's COMPLETELY removed, at least as far as I know. But again, this is something to ask them about. Before asking them about this, search for the games in question on their store page; you do not have to be inside of Steam itself to access this page. If the store page cannot find it, it means that you got the name wrong somehow, or it does indeed no longer exist. Again, if it's that second one, ask them about compensation or whatever via the support stuff. HOWEVER, if the game is still installed on your machine... as in, you have not manually removed it yourself.... and if the people that developed it did not set up DRM for it... then you can still run it from your machine in most cases, by accessing it's files directly.

Looking it up, it seems like the group you are referring to as Simbin has had a big pile of problems (and it looks like they've gone under entirely?); it wouldnt surprise me too much if something related to that has forced Valve to remove something, as indeed, trying to get something like GTR to appear in the store page just makes it go all wonky. But again, ask the Steam support guys about that one, they can explain it and go from there.

Feel free to ask me as well if you've any questions on how any of this works or how best to do it, I'm happy to help. I've been using Steam pretty much since it began, it's pretty much my central gaming.... thing, and I've never had any problems with it.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the response. The strange thing is, that when I try to open a complaint, they tell me that I have to enter a code in order to go further. I sign in and go to my email. But the message in my email says that I need to contact their service dept.. And that I need to enter the aformentioned code (which never appears (no matter how many times I've tried)). So, it's like I'm in a loop hole where I can't contact them b/c I haven't received the code I need to access my account. I just go back and forth with CS, hoping they'll finally include the code in the email they send me. I've given up on it, honestly.

They have deleted all of the games I bought. I searched through and through for them in their store. Only some of them still exist as "demos." When I click on the demo icon for the game it takes me back to their homepage.

I will actually still attempt to play simbin's racing sims on steam b/c they're some of the best true racing sims out there. RACEROOM is their new title. I prefer to play sims based on actual FIA championship seasons (on real tracks) without drag racing, drifting, or unauthentic competition. I have my eyes on DMT 2013 right now.

I'm in the process of creating a new account right now.

IS RACEROOM really going under?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:52 pm

noodler wrote:
Thanks for the response. The strange thing is, that when I try to open a complaint, they tell me that I have to enter a code in order to go further. I sign in and go to my email. But the message in my email says that I need to contact their service dept.. And that I need to enter the aformentioned code (which never appears (no matter how many times I've tried)). So, it's like I'm in a loop hole where I can't contact them b/c I haven't received the code I need to access my account. I just go back and forth with CS, hoping they'll finally include the code in the email they send me. I've given up on it, honestly.

They have deleted all of the games I bought. I searched through and through for them in their store. Only some of them still exist as "demos." When I click on the demo icon for the game it takes me back to their homepage.

I will actually still attempt to play simbin's racing sims on steam b/c they're some of the best true racing sims out there. RACEROOM is their new title. I prefer to play sims based on actual FIA championship seasons (on real tracks) without drag racing, drifting, or unauthentic competition. I have my eyes on DMT 2013 right now.

Try disabling Steam Guard on your profile. They recommend against it, but you may have to do it to get in.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 11:45 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
noodler wrote:

Try disabling Steam Guard on your profile. They recommend against it, but you may have to do it to get in.

thanks, I'll try it.