Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

JeremydoesRage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2015, 11:40 pm

what do you think is the most scariest Horror Game ever?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:09 am

Frankly, I find that nearly all horror games just arent really scary. Particularly since Resident Evil seems to be the one that really set the standards, and I never thought of it as a horror game to begin with, since you have the ability to blast your enemies into oblivion with a variety of weapons. And they tend to use violence and gore instead of suspense and freaky things. Flashy does not equal scary.

The first game that honestly had me nervous is Five Nights at Freddy's. It COMPLETELY goes against the RE way of doing things. You're stuck in one location, the office. You have very limited resources. You get hallway lights, magnetic doors that require power to stay shut, and a camera, and that's IT. You cannot leave, you cannot run. You cannot fight Freddy and his pals; there's no hope of getting away by defeating them somehow. They're just too strong, powered by supernatural force, and too determined. And when you're seeing them in the cameras, they're just... so messed up. They never move when you're looking at them (with the exception of Foxy, once his patience breaks and he just charges at you), like some sort of freaky dolls, but they'll often be caught staring into the camera directly. Except when the week has progressed and they're clearly getting agitated, they'll sometimes do this freaky twitching thing when viewed in certain locations, which.... is very unsettling, and the noise they make doesnt help. Getting caught by them means an extremely sudden, very loud shrieking jumpscare, which just adds to the dread, and there's a constant sense of inevitable, unstoppable doom throughout. And there's no blood, no gore, none of that stuff.

As far as being scary goes, the game gets everything right for once in a genre that rarely ever does. The messed up lore behind it all just increases that, and despite that they are your enemy, the characters themselves are appealing and memorable, which is a very good quality to have in a game of any sort.

If there's another game/series that could actually make me nervous, I've yet to see it.

Of course, alot of this is all down to personal preference.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 11:20 am

Technically not a horror game, but I would say that Spec Ops - The Line is probably the scariest game I ever played. It is far more gut-wrenchingly intense and frightening than most horror games I have played.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 11:50 am

I get scared really easily, so any game with BOOM/predictable/loud sounds makes me scream like a little girl.
I'm not sure what would be the scariest one but probably Amnesia - The Dark Descent and Five Nights at Freddy's.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm

Alien: Isolation is pretty scary. Great sound design.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 2:43 pm

Definitely Outlast...that game is too effed up for me to play. I gave it a try, but after about 10-20 minutes I just couldn't do it.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 4:45 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Definitely Outlast...that game is too effed up for me to play. I gave it a try, but after about 10-20 minutes I just couldn't do it.

It suited me because I'm really, really good at running and hiding at any hint of movement.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 8:32 am

I thought Mad Father is pretty scary. Here it is. (Caution: can contain scary images so watch at your own risk.)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm

I don't usually play horror games I'm not really into them, but I've watched a few longplays on YouTube. Weird, huh?
I don't usually find them too scary unless there's really emotionally disturbing things in them like innocent children being killed and stuff, which you don't often see graphically and onscreen at least even in M games but it can haunt me for days.

***SPOILER ALERT***
One time a started watching a longplay of Dead Rising, and the game I guess is more gory and darkly humorous than terrifying but the intro shows a mom and her little girl first accidentally running over a zombie (it happens suddenly and somewhat unexpectedly) and then inside the mom is clearly horrified by what just happened and she pulled a cap over the girl's eyes so she can't see the zombie blood splatter on the windshield. Then I think their vehicle breaks down and more zombies jump them and both the mother and the little girl are trapped and screaming in terror and then it shows dozens of zombies surrounding them and then the screen fades to black. At least we don't see them ripped apart and killed. But THEN, while you're still recovering from what you've just seen, the loading screen comes on and shows a gritty, dark image of the mother and girl's faces frozen in utter terror.

After seeing that I left a comment saying I needed to go watch some cat videos. Which I did. :)

DarkShiva
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2015, 4:44 am

Silent hill 2 & Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth are some of my favourites. I find that most games have parts that are scary (like Thief's Cradle and Vampire Masquerade:Bloodline's Ocean house hotel) but aren't like that the whole way through.

I've always loved Silent Hill's take on horror the most (the first 3 games anyway) since it's more unsettling with less jump scares, and Cthulhu:DCotE has a really good chase sequence that stayed with me a long time. Other than that, i rather like RPG maker games like Misao, Mad Father, Witch's house, Corpse party, OFF etc.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2015, 4:24 pm

DarkShiva wrote:
I've always loved Silent Hill's take on horror the most (the first 3 games anyway) since it's more unsettling with less jump scares.

This, but extend it to the first four. I guess I'm in the minority in that I loved The Room. Sure, it's fairly removed from the original three and Eileen can get a bit annoying, but there's something about the atmosphere it creates that sucks me in every time I play it, especially in the second half of the game (which everyone always seems to dislike, though I can understand why). I can't exactly put what I like about The Room into words. It's hard to explain.

I don't play horror games to be "scared" exactly. There's something about games like Silent Hill, where this dark and oppressive atmosphere is built up to the point where it's almost suffocating. Then there's the almost euphoric, though fleeting, sense of relief after you complete an area and everything is back to "normal", at least for a little while.

I don't like the way the genre seems to be becoming more stealth-based recently, though I did rather enjoy Alien: Isolation.

Anyway, yeah I like horror games. :P

Derpy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

I just finished playing The Evil Within which had some creepy moments.Its also very difficult in places, but I loved the game.I cant wait for Silent Hills to be released.

TheDeathKarp
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 11:05 am

I thought that Alan Wake was pretty spooky! And I know people are going to make fun of me but whenever Sonic would start to drown in the old games that music would creep me out every time

Ciphergarm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2015, 7:49 am

For a game to really scare me I have to feel this dread in my stomach while playing it. Silent Hill 1+2 did that, though now I can play them without feeling much fear and instead taking in the deep atmosphere. In most recent memory the scariest gaming experience I had was probably Demon/Dark Souls. The second (or third) part of Tower of Latria in Demons Souls made me feel so uncomfortable because I have a real life fear of heights and get vertigo in places like shopping malls with the transparent floors. The whole time you have these gargoyle demons swooping down while you're on a rather narrow walkway and you are REALLY high up. There's another section too, that's like this twisting staircase with a rather powerful enemy on it and if you get too careless you'll fall off..ughhhh. Made my palms sweet and my heart race and I'm not the kind of person that gets scared easily over games.

Five Nights at Freddy's does nothing for me, I think its hilarious. The old Resident Evil games gave me somewhat of a sense of dread but this was because of the tank controls and having to conserve ammo. I recently tried playing RE2 on my vita and just couldn't. The combo of controls and having to swerve through zombies packed together was too much for me.

JeremydoesRage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

I think Five Night's Games are pretty scary because sometimes i scream like a little girl and also The House 2 because the creepy girl at the bedroom part jumpscared me when she closed up to my face.