Does anyone watch LPs alot? (LP = "Let's Play")

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

It's mostly Monster Hunter LP's.
GamingBliss for the entertaining and informative commentary, and skillful playing.
FBDCProductions for the silly, dramatic reactions and because you can really see him get better as the series progresses.
yessikziiiq because, okay, he's not as good as he probably thinks he is. This doesn't mean I only watch his LP for cheap laughs, no; it's just easier to note mistakes when you're watching someone else. So, silly as it might sound, I feel I've learned more from his videos than those of Sketch (first link), who makes it look really easy most of the time.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 8:01 pm

If I have to watch an LP with commentary I always have to either hit the mute button or turn it down so it's barely audible. And if they show the face of the actual player, forget it. It's like I really hate to be reminded that someone else is playing it or something.

On the other hand I don't usually mind annotations that make comments during the games, especially if it's during a slow or boring part of a game and the annotations are funny or clever. When it's a voiced commentary all I usually hear is screeching, cursing, bad humor, sexist remarks, bragging, sniffling, smacking of lips, whining, talking in an overly silly voice, and on and on. :thumbdown:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:34 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
If I have to watch an LP with commentary I always have to either hit the mute button or turn it down so it's barely audible. And if they show the face of the actual player, forget it. It's like I really hate to be reminded that someone else is playing it or something.

On the other hand I don't usually mind annotations that make comments during the games, especially if it's during a slow or boring part of a game and the annotations are funny or clever. When it's a voiced commentary all I usually hear is screeching, cursing, bad humor, sexist remarks, bragging, sniffling, smacking of lips, whining, talking in an overly silly voice, and on and on. :thumbdown:

Try looking for other, lesser known LPers; it's mostly just the big guys that do this, as they need to entertain an often oblivious audience that doesnt notice humor or emotion unless it's screamed into their ears. Same with the face-cam.

And the stupid swearing and whatnot always seems to me to come from sort of a "need" to do that, because it's expected of them, and they surely cant risk doing their own thing instead, now can they... bah.

I can think of plenty that are either entertaining/funny just via their own genuine personality (as opposed to the "acting" usually done by the big guys), or that are just super calm and extremely explanatory.

Though what REALLY bugs me the most: the LPer not sticking to the topic at hand. Keep the commentary about the game, dont just suddenly ramble on about the music that some band made, or blah blah blah... I hate when they do that. Stream LPs are the ones I typically refuse to watch for this very reason, because it's nigh-impossible to stick to a topic when you have to interact with a bunch of random people in the chat the whole time.

DarkShiva
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

I watch quite a few Lets players!

My favourites are: Mangaminx, Helloween4545, Daveosity and Necroscope. They mostly play horror games and some RPG maker titles. only one of them (Daveosity) has face cam cause i don't like it either (too distracting and i don't like seeing what people really look like for some reason) but the first two, Mangaminx especially can get very sweary and loud, so beware of that.

I used to also watch Ssskinner and L0rd Vega before they quit and Louis Chou before he pretty much stopped too. The latter was very good at games and played them without commentary. I occasionally watch DarkKefka when i need help with any Final Fantasy games. Unfortunately a lot of my favourite LPers have either stopped or taken down their videos so i can't remember their names. But yeah, i watch LPs a lot cause i'm bad at a lot of games that i'm interested in.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

I've been watching a longplay of Deus Ex. It's interesting, I'm tempted to quit watching it and just play the game instead.
And I remember it seemed like the lamest thing ever to me when it came out.
Lots of great videos to be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVi6of ... rZ9l0-fwbQ

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm

I watch LPs all the time. It's a great time!

Some of my favorites are Cryaotic, PewDiePie, Toby Games, and there are a few others.

I'm really liking PewDiePie playing Corpse Party, but his latest Corpse Party videos only seem to come out once every month... most likely because each part is about three hours long... and it's not really a game like the original Corpse Party which was more game play oriented, this new one is mostly story, like a graphic novel with slight interaction. I wouldn't want to play Corpse Party myself, the game seems boring, it's more fun to just watch the story and see how PewDiePie reacts to things and comments on things and stuff.

I was watching Cryaotic play Silent Hill 2 recently, and that was awesome. I wanna play the first and the third Silent Hill by myself in the dark. Cryaotic's nosleep story telling stuff is awesome too, he's a really great actor... except one of them I heard from him was just too extremely disgusting and disturbing, lol. But I listened to the whole disturbing tale. I was watching Cryaotic play Dying Light, and I could not stop cracking up! That was a good day for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

LP used to mean "long playing record" when we had discs as "records."

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 3:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

In this context, it stands for let's play and refers to a kind of video game play through where people record themselves playing through a video game while including commentary, which they then share by uploading their play through on the internet. The most common type of LP are video recordings of the video game play through, where the videos are uploaded to a video sharing site like Youtube. There's a much older kind of LP that was much more common in the '90's before it was really feasible to upload videos on the internet where instead, people used to just take screenshots when they reached certain stages of the video game and then uploaded the images on message boards like Usenet and wrote commentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Play_(video_gaming)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 11:17 am

^^ LP can also mean "longplay", which is a game video like a "Let's play" but generally without commentary.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2015, 4:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

You're making me feel old! Nowadays you can't say you're gonna pull out a 45 and have people listen to it without getting taken down to the police station and frisked for weapons.

On subject, I do watch LPs sometimes but mainly when I'm stuck on a game.

Boteva
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2015, 7:06 am

I watch a lot of MasaeAnela. She is a fun an quirky lper.

GammaV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

Let's Plays are among my favorite YouTube videos to watch. One reason for this is that I happen to be a Super Mario World ROM hacker, and Let's Plays can be a good source of feedback. I also make my own LPs, which can be found on my YouTube channel.

Ciphergarm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2015, 7:57 am

The only times I watch Let's Plays are if I'm stuck on a particular section or puzzle and have given up. With that said, I have enjoyed Board Gamer Girl's LP/walkthroughs of the Heroes of Might and Magic series. They were very useful to me and she has a pretty voice ^_^.

TheReptilianThesaurus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2015, 3:21 am

I watch a lot of LPers, but my favorites would have to be ProtonJon, Smite, Diabetus, Stream Friends, and Brainscratch Comms.

I've found recently that I really enjoy full-on multiplayer playthroughs of party games, I just find it really entertaining. I guess it kind of gives me sense of the experience I never got to have (and still haven't to this day).

And yet I still own Mario Parties 1-7.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 3:42 am

TheReptilianThesaurus wrote:
I watch a lot of LPers, but my favorites would have to be ProtonJon, Smite, Diabetus, Stream Friends, and Brainscratch Comms.

I've found recently that I really enjoy full-on multiplayer playthroughs of party games, I just find it really entertaining. I guess it kind of gives me sense of the experience I never got to have (and still haven't to this day).

And yet I still own Mario Parties 1-7.

Ugh, yeah, I never got to really do that type of game either. I always really liked the Mario Party games, but I never had anyone that would want to play them. So it was always just me and the AI.... bah.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2015, 7:41 pm

I watch a lot of Game Grumps. I think Erin and Dan are really funny and entertaining. they also make good music. :D