Splatoon |OT| Wii U boxes covered in colors confirmed!

Page 6 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Are you buying Splatoon?
Yes, at launch 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Yes, later 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
No, not interested 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, it's too kiddy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, because Nintendo has abandoned the core fans to produce this... 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 9:25 pm

It should be up for download at 12:01am ET on Friday.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:05 am

I might get the game... if I get a Wii U. I've been wanting one for a while but I just haven't bothered buying one.

OK, I just watched the trailer and I think it looks awesome. I think it would be cool if someone made a mod inspired by it for Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:11 am

Ugh... I'd thought it was today, not tomorrow. Bah. CLOCKS.

Back to alternating between playing Isaac and being bored out of my mind, then, feh. At the very least I'm going to try to resist the urge to go out and buy something new out of sheer boredom.

Though I could always also go online with Smash and get tired of Marth again, that's another option.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:04 pm

Misery wrote:
Ugh... I'd thought it was today, not tomorrow. Bah. CLOCKS.

Back to alternating between playing Isaac and being bored out of my mind, then, feh. At the very least I'm going to try to resist the urge to go out and buy something new out of sheer boredom.

Though I could always also go online with Smash and get tired of Marth again, that's another option.

I shall be getting it tonight at Meijer's (or should I say early Friday morning).
Hopefully they will have the Amiibo 3 pack in stock.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 2:26 am

Ah! It's up and playable finally! About bloody time.

Will post first impressions in a bit.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:20 am

Oh gods this is freaking great. I had high hopes for this one.... and it seems to have met them.

A couple of things: Firstly, I did find the default controls to be very.... strange. They're not BAD, mind you. Just strange. For those that havent played or gotten the game yet, the default controls have you turning horizontally with the right stick, but vertical aim is done with the motion controls. Shoot and "squid swim" are on the triggers, grenade thing is on the...er.... not triggers, whatever you call the other top buttons. And of course movement is left stick, jump is X, and your super ability is pushing the right stick in.

So that felt pretty damn weird to begin with, with the disjointed way the aiming works.

Fortunately I found that you can change it; I did so, to full stick controls. When I did this, I immediately jumped from scoring absolutely horribly with crazy wobble-aim, to scoring the most points on the team in the next 3 or 4 rounds. It's going to be a matter of preference for most, really. Experiment with both.

One control thing I freaking love: You can do an instant camera orientation by hitting Y. So if you start walking to the left (while not shooting) and hit Y, you're instantly pointed with the camera in that direction. This is one thing that DRIVES ME FREAKING CRAZY with many console shooters (first OR third person), is that they dont have this, so there's no way of QUICKLY turning around. Not a problem here! Finally, someone gets it right. My mind was blown.

Lessee... well, right off the bat, the game chucks you into online battles; you need to hit level 4 by doing this before you can start to use the shops and other things. This doesnt take long at all though. The actual battles are... well let's just say, I'm having a great time here with them. Splattering the whole everything in ink is great fun, and when combat with the enemy team occurs, it's fast and furious; there's alot of skill involved here. Mostly I just started by using tricks I'd seen in videos that seemed effective (which so far, they are) for both covering ground and fighting. Getting kills doesnt give you a damn thing in this, but it's very, very satisfying to take out an opponent, and then immediately start spraying the ground they were working on. So it is indeed worth knocking out an opponent when you can so you can take back the area.

Two stages are active right now, I know all the levels rotate in and out of this though I dont know at what interval. Both of the current ones are well-made.

Also: I HAD NO LAG. None. And I was up against mostly Japanese players (???)... considering how Smash Bros can become a freaking slideshow in 4-player matches, it surprises me as to just how well this one is working.

Matchmaker seemed a bit odd (at least for now, which is what I expected). It kept stuffing me onto teams with low-level players, against teams of much higher ones... so that's mildly annoying. I still did fine though.

I havent tried any weapons beyond the starting one; I'll check out the store when I next fire it up, after I make a supermarket run here (sigh). I like what I see of the equipment system and all that.

Saw lots of people using rollers. They're typically pretty easy to knock out when you run into one so long as you're paying attention, so I dont think they're OP as some people have said. I expect though they're going to be very popular among new players.

All in all, I love everything about it so far. Very much worth the wait. I'm probably going to be playing this alot. Though I have to be careful not to go overboard with it, lest I wreck my arm again.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 8:34 am

Aaaaaand this is all I did all night, really.

Love the equipment system, the weapons are all awesome so far, the stages rotated, got to try the warehouse, I like that one the most so far. Singleplayer stuff is fun too!

The Squid Jump minigame that you can play while waiting for matches to start is nice too; can be found in the hub area as well. Brings back memories of certain old NES games.

And that'll be enough rambling from me for now!

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 10:35 am

I did see a lot of people saying how good the connection is. I'm really happy for that.
Nice to read your impressions, Misery. I just decided to leave The Witcher 3 for later and I'll buy this one next week if everything goes well here!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 11:51 am

Misery wrote:
Oh gods this is freaking great. I had high hopes for this one.... and it seems to have met them.

A couple of things: Firstly, I did find the default controls to be very.... strange. They're not BAD, mind you. Just strange. For those that havent played or gotten the game yet, the default controls have you turning horizontally with the right stick, but vertical aim is done with the motion controls. Shoot and "squid swim" are on the triggers, grenade thing is on the...er.... not triggers, whatever you call the other top buttons. And of course movement is left stick, jump is X, and your super ability is pushing the right stick in.

So that felt pretty damn weird to begin with, with the disjointed way the aiming works.

Fortunately I found that you can change it; I did so, to full stick controls. When I did this, I immediately jumped from scoring absolutely horribly with crazy wobble-aim, to scoring the most points on the team in the next 3 or 4 rounds. It's going to be a matter of preference for most, really. Experiment with both.

One control thing I freaking love: You can do an instant camera orientation by hitting Y. So if you start walking to the left (while not shooting) and hit Y, you're instantly pointed with the camera in that direction. This is one thing that DRIVES ME FREAKING CRAZY with many console shooters (first OR third person), is that they dont have this, so there's no way of QUICKLY turning around. Not a problem here! Finally, someone gets it right. My mind was blown.

Lessee... well, right off the bat, the game chucks you into online battles; you need to hit level 4 by doing this before you can start to use the shops and other things. This doesnt take long at all though. The actual battles are... well let's just say, I'm having a great time here with them. Splattering the whole everything in ink is great fun, and when combat with the enemy team occurs, it's fast and furious; there's alot of skill involved here. Mostly I just started by using tricks I'd seen in videos that seemed effective (which so far, they are) for both covering ground and fighting. Getting kills doesnt give you a damn thing in this, but it's very, very satisfying to take out an opponent, and then immediately start spraying the ground they were working on. So it is indeed worth knocking out an opponent when you can so you can take back the area.

Two stages are active right now, I know all the levels rotate in and out of this though I dont know at what interval. Both of the current ones are well-made.

Also: I HAD NO LAG. None. And I was up against mostly Japanese players (???)... considering how Smash Bros can become a freaking slideshow in 4-player matches, it surprises me as to just how well this one is working.

Matchmaker seemed a bit odd (at least for now, which is what I expected). It kept stuffing me onto teams with low-level players, against teams of much higher ones... so that's mildly annoying. I still did fine though.

I havent tried any weapons beyond the starting one; I'll check out the store when I next fire it up, after I make a supermarket run here (sigh). I like what I see of the equipment system and all that.

Saw lots of people using rollers. They're typically pretty easy to knock out when you run into one so long as you're paying attention, so I dont think they're OP as some people have said. I expect though they're going to be very popular among new players.

All in all, I love everything about it so far. Very much worth the wait. I'm probably going to be playing this alot. Though I have to be careful not to go overboard with it, lest I wreck my arm again.

Misery wrote:

Love the equipment system, the weapons are all awesome so far, the stages rotated, got to try the warehouse, I like that one the most so far. Singleplayer stuff is fun too!

The Squid Jump minigame that you can play while waiting for matches to start is nice too; can be found in the hub area as well. Brings back memories of certain old NES games.

OK, now I really, really want to get Splatoon. It's seriously one of the first games I'm going to buy if I get a Wii U, along with the HD Wind Waker remake.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:36 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Misery wrote:

Misery wrote:

OK, now I really, really want to get Splatoon. It's seriously one of the first games I'm going to buy if I get a Wii U, along with the HD Wind Waker remake.

HD remake of Wind Waker is something special.
It's really beautiful and improved since the original.

I also bought Splatoon today, haven't played it much due to my cousin be here.
I also nabbed with ease an Splatoon Amiibo 3-pack, which is only $30 at Meijer's instead of the normal $35 else where.
So if you want it head to your local Meijer's.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 5:03 pm

The game is more popular in Japan that Nintendo expected, causing shortage of physical versions.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/234517-sp ... s#comments

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 8:36 pm

I played the first 3 levels of campaign mode and beat the first boss.
It was really fun. Of course is disabled the motion controls, since I have trouble playing fast with them when using the pad.
I wish I could use the Wii remote...

I found the first 4 scrolls at last!

I did play online, ran into a trouble trying to connect for a world wide match.
Was able to join a friends match, which I played 3.... Lost 1.
I leveled to 3... I finally bought the roller!
I just need to get to level 4 to buy new shoes, headgear and clothes for my character...
Not once did I miss voice chat!

Haven't bothered to use my Amiibos yet...

This is game is really great

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 9:26 pm

xenocity wrote:
I played the first 3 levels of campaign mode and beat the first boss.
It was really fun. Of course is disabled the motion controls, since I have trouble playing fast with them when using the pad.
I wish I could use the Wii remote...

I found the first 4 scrolls at last!

I did play online, ran into a trouble trying to connect for a world wide match.
Was able to join a friends match, which I played 3.... Lost 1.
I leveled to 3... I finally bought the roller!
I just need to get to level 4 to buy new shoes, headgear and clothes for my character...
Not once did I miss voice chat!

Haven't bothered to use my Amiibos yet...

This is game is really great

Yeah, I had the same thought: I dont miss the voice chat one bit!

I dunno about the rest of you, but I usually turn it off first thing in games like this. Only time I can see needing it currently is if I play Destiny with friends of mine that picked it up recently; other than that.... yeah, dont need to really hear anyone in any of these games, nope. It never seems to help anyway; everyone always says communication is so important in team games, but when you're playing with total strangers, they might give you gibberish, crap, or lies instead of info and can lead you to your own doom wether they intended to or not.

So it's like.... yeeaaahhh. I'll just keep an eye on the situation and make my own decisions, thanks!

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Yeah, the console turned out to be very worth it. As did this game.

I think if Smash hadnt already convinced me to buy the thing, this one would have sealed the deal.

I think I'd also enjoy Mario Party but as usual nobody I know cares about that one, feh.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 8:15 am

On a side note: Is it just me, or are the charge guns (sniper) kinda.... bad?

They cant cover ground worth a crap, and are very slow, and dont actually do all that much damage at all unless FULLY charged. Useless in close quarters in a game with extreme mobility.... usually, I find them easy to stop (like the rollers, but the rollers make up for it with other traits), when opponents are using them. And if you want to get your super... HAHA NOPE. You're using a charge gun! Who needs supers?

I'm going to keep messing with them, but they seem *really* bad so far. Players using these seem to very often be at the bottom of the score lists.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 8:42 am

And a team of 4 rollers: hilarious.

Not the brightest idea, but still hilarious. Somehow we won. I wasnt expecting this. Also, "ninja squid" ability with a roller works wonders.

And the "recon" abilities (like Echolocator, I think it's called, or the Disruptor, or the Haunt ability) are really, really useful. I dont see many other players using them though.

.....and this blasted forum. I cant just edit the previous post and append this to it? Sigh....

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 12:58 pm

Misery wrote:
On a side note: Is it just me, or are the charge guns (sniper) kinda.... bad?

They cant cover ground worth a crap, and are very slow, and dont actually do all that much damage at all unless FULLY charged. Useless in close quarters in a game with extreme mobility.... usually, I find them easy to stop (like the rollers, but the rollers make up for it with other traits), when opponents are using them. And if you want to get your super... HAHA NOPE. You're using a charge gun! Who needs supers?

I'm going to keep messing with them, but they seem *really* bad so far. Players using these seem to very often be at the bottom of the score lists.

I have had a little interest in it, I think there is a problem that it is actually a rather difficult weapon to master, the Amiibo challenges have given the chance to see its range. The trick I see so far is not to just rely on fully charge, you can do shorter bursts to save time if you don't need to cover longer distances, in fact it can still be very effective by rapid tapping for close range, and actually does not use up much ink then. It specialty of course seems to be sniping from higher ground, I was for a time playing with some equipment of increased swim movement with ninja swimming so you might quickly create a steam by a full charge, and then swim up it fast without opponents knowing so you could ambush along that line. But there is still some experience in knowing how high to aim to get along the ground.