Laz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 6:22 am

Oh and since when was Kaiden gay?!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Mar 2012, 7:47 am

He's not gay, he's bisexual, and I would guess since forever ago. He just wasn't comfortable/open about it during ME1.

Anyway, Mass Effect 3 dragged me away from many forums recently. I finished the game once, started another playthrough, and have spent much of my time playing the multiplayer. I started when I was dissatisfied with my 3700 or so EMS and finished my first playthrough with a full 7000+. Not that it mattered much.

The endings are deeply flawed, but I'm not prepared to declare unending enmity yet. Mostly I just ignore everything after landing on Earth and getting to the HQ. I'll play it, but it's not relevant to me.

I really like the new weapons and new mechanics. I do like both the javelin and the particle rifle.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm

Verdandi wrote:
The endings are deeply flawed, but I'm not prepared to declare unending enmity yet.

Mass effect has always had crap plot/story they screwed up the story majorly in ME2. See here for a plot analysis. Anyone who think's Mass effects story 'is good' hasn't been paying attention. It hasn't been good since ME1, the thing that's been holding ME together is the ministories/characters and gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR558wTjOUU

TM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:26 am

ZakFiend wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The endings are deeply flawed, but I'm not prepared to declare unending enmity yet.

Mass effect has always had crap plot/story they screwed up the story majorly in ME2. See here for a plot analysis. Anyone who think's Mass effects story 'is good' hasn't been paying attention. It hasn't been good since ME1, the thing that's been holding ME together is the ministories/characters and gameplay.

It's kind of like with Star Wars, I never really liked much of what Lucas did, but I did like the Universe he created and I feel the same way about Mass Effect. The Universe is awesome, so are the characters, however the story needs a lot of work to be... logical. Unless the "indoctrination ending" theory is true, the endings have massive problems both within the story and with the principle of "your choices shape the game" which has been a major selling point.

If the ending was merely "pick between door 1, door 2 and door 3" then choices ultimately didn't matter in the grand scheme of the story.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

Your criticisms are now void.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

I stayed up all night on Friday to finish it. I'm not angry at the ending, just confused. I'm a little depressed as well. The story was sad, but I'm also depressed that the story is over.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

El-ahrairah
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2012, 12:48 am

RW665 wrote:
I stayed up all night on Friday to finish it. I'm not angry at the ending, just confused.

The ending was, in the words of the lead writer of ME3, supposed to provoke "lots and lots of speculation."

Yeah.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 12:55 am

El-ahrairah wrote:
RW665 wrote:
I stayed up all night on Friday to finish it. I'm not angry at the ending, just confused.

The ending was, in the words of the lead writer of ME3, supposed to provoke "lots and lots of speculation."

Yeah.

Well, I liked the game anyway. It was much more depressing than the first two, it had a very different feel. I still thought it was good though.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

When I first got into the series it was when ME2 came out back in 2010. I thought then with its feature of importing the ME1 character and your decisions n stuff that Bioware were setting themselves up for a big headache.

If you think of what kind of effort it would take to script and voice act all the various possible outcomes that could occur from your decisions throughout the three games you start to realise the scale of the task is absolutely huge.

Really it wasn't a surprise that they funneled the story down to a simplistic ending. It couldn't of ended any other way really. Bioware couldn't really avoid this any other way really. But, credit were its due, at least they gave it a go. I'd blame EA for its cash cow attitude towards the companies it buys rather then Bioware for the outcome.

I did absolutely love that link to the guy going through all the plot holes of ME2 though :lol: I remember playing it back in 2010 and thinking WTF this story doesn't make sense but sod it I liked the game anyway.

Now to actually finish ME3 with my paragon character and see just how bad this ending truly is

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

Laz wrote:
When I first got into the series it was when ME2 came out back in 2010. I thought then with its feature of importing the ME1 character and your decisions n stuff that Bioware were setting themselves up for a big headache.

If you think of what kind of effort it would take to script and voice act all the various possible outcomes that could occur from your decisions throughout the three games you start to realise the scale of the task is absolutely huge.

Really it wasn't a surprise that they funneled the story down to a simplistic ending. It couldn't of ended any other way really. Bioware couldn't really avoid this any other way really. But, credit were its due, at least they gave it a go. I'd blame EA for its cash cow attitude towards the companies it buys rather then Bioware for the outcome.
I did absolutely love that link to the guy going through all the plot holes of ME2 though :lol: I remember playing it back in 2010 and thinking WTF this story doesn't make sense but sod it I liked the game anyway.

Now to actually finish ME3 with my paragon character and see just how bad this ending truly is

Good point this is a concern

EA = the fast food of the game world.

And I don't like fast food even when hungry.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Mar 2012, 4:16 am

ZakFiend wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

That guy's voice makes my brain hurt.

Mass Effect 2 was fine. The story does have problems, but nothing on the scale of the ME3 endings.

Edit: Seen most of them. I agree with most everything he says, but... I enjoyed ME2. The thing is that the gameplay was good all the way through, and while the plot was weak and went in a strange direction, it held together enough. The interactions with the other squadmates were written well enough to be enjoyable. There's nothing comparable in 2 to the ending in 3 in terms of departure from the setting, themes, moods, etc. established in ME.

Last edited by Verdandi on 20 Mar 2012, 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:19 am

Laz wrote:

I don't remember the company, but someone on the livejournal Mass Effect community said that their company had been purchased by EA and told they would be given the "Bioware treatment," which meant "full creative freedom." In other words, it doesn't really sound like EA is actually warping Bioware all that much and everything coming out of Bioware is Bioware itself. Reflecting of a changing company culture, perhaps, but not necessarily EA meddling.

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

I cancelled my pre-order when some jerks ruined the ending for me. It's been two weeks and I'm still having a hard time accepting it as a conclusive ending to a 5 year trilogy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E[/youtube]

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:16 am

Well I actually managed to complete this game last night

Yeah, can see why people are ripping into this ending, it kinda reminds me of that scene with the Architect in Matrix Reloaded when Neo has to make a choice between saving trinity or returning to the source. And well look how the ending of that trilogy turned out :P

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

El-ahrairah
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

Verdandi wrote:
I don't remember the company, but someone on the livejournal Mass Effect community said that their company had been purchased by EA and told they would be given the "Bioware treatment," which meant "full creative freedom."

I've known of many game companies that were purchased and told they would be able to keep their creative freedom. It didn't last.