Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

I'm curious to know who all here like or have an interest in Kirby, or to hear any alternative thoughts on the series. Personally I've enjoyed it quite a bit, though I have not played too many. Started with Kirby 64 for the N64, and have gone back through some of the older ones since. If I had the money, I would probably go out and get Return to Dream Land, but without a job I'm settling on watching a playthrough of it for now.

While incredibly light hearted, perhaps even more so than the likes of Mario or Sonic or any of your other average family friendly mascots, I've still been able to enjoy its artistic merits on the level of games like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus or Killer7, just to name a few. The music, atmosphere, general art style, cutscenes, etc. in each of the games I've played have all been great. Actually, although I'd been drawing long before then, I think that watching the credits of Kirby 64, with all the enemy designs shown in sketches, had a significant impact on how hard I've tried to become better at it.

Not to say that the series is without fault. The games are usually quite easy, but then I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you really want out of a game. Another issue I have is controls. Playing Super Star and Dream Land 3 with the Wii's Classic controller seems very confusing, and though I can get by, there are times I do accidentally do one action or another because they really aren't intuitive.

Still, pretty small prices to pay for what has been one of the series I've enjoyed more, next to Metroid and Zelda. What do you guys think?

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Mar 2012, 12:17 am

Cute. Fun. Simple.

That's all.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 12:56 am

This (^)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm

Kirby is awesome :) I think people underestimate the awesomeness too much :D

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:46 am

I've played Kirby's adventure but only really got into Kirby's Dream Land 2, I especially like the mechanics with the three "friends" were cool. (the owl's music the world 2? music were good too)

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

I find the best ones to be Adventure and Mass Attack, since they are the ones that provide a challenge AND the level variety is much better on those games.

The others are very experimental in what happens in the games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

3 on the SNES and the N64 one were not very good.

I like the first three games they did a lot, though. Haven't given the GBA/DS games much play.

The new Wii one's not bad, it takes a lot from NSMBW.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

I grew up on Kirby and used to really like it, but I outgrew it. Spyro 2 took its place and then LittleBigPlanet filled that role.

I found the bosses really fun as a kid in Kirby 64 and had an old "friend" (because he was a horrible person) that showed me a Kirby golf game. That was great fun.

I tried playing Epic Yarn. Interesting art style/gameplay twist but I want a degree of difficulty in the games that I play. Doesn't help I don't like the Wii controller either.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

I've gotten through Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby 64, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Dreamcourse, and Kirby's Return to Dreamland. The most recent one for Wii is my favorite game in the series.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

I've had a soft spot for Kirby ever since he became my go-to guy in Smash Bros. That's when I started playing Kirby games, and it seems to me that Kirby is at its best when it's trying to be innovative... Like Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn. The regular Kirby games haven't chanced much since the NES days. That's not a bad thing... Kirby is like the Dragon Quest of platformers. But Epic Yarn in particular had a very indie feel too it, and it was super-fun and had some of the best graphics on the Wii.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

Love the games. Have been my favorite, next to all of the games with Yoshi, and then Zelda games. I don't like playing Zelda games as much as watching them; they tend to startle and confuse me when I'm playing alone.