Old games playable with an Intel Atom

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 1:47 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Oh, and having played a bit of Fallout 1 & 2 I can tell you that both run fine on Windows 2K/XP, neither ran on DOS to my knowledge.

The first Fallout has a DOS executable in addition to a Windows one, but I was talking about Wasteland, which Fallout is a spiritual sequel to.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Someone on irc recommended Galactic Civilizations 2 to me, I think I'll go with that since I've played the demo and it sure looked like a sweet take on the 4X genre to me. Will have to be limited to the core game though, the expansions seem to have heftier system requirements.

Galactic Civilizations 2 is an amazing excellent game, personally I find it better than solar empire, the ships are totally customizable . The only negative about Giv2 is the battle system which is totally automated so you can't select the ships during battles, they fight by their own.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 3:01 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
What kind of RPGs do you play then, if you don't like turn-based? I liked Fallout, but I didn't like it quite as much as the first game, Wasteland. Out of all the PC RPGs I've played, I thought that one was the most similar to console RPGs like Dragon Warrior. You get to make your own party, but it does have turn-based battles. It's from like 1983 though, so if you wanted to play it, you'd definitely need DOSBox.

I loooove the Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mass Effect, the later installments of the Wizardry series, and the aforementioned Jagged Alliance which for most intents and purposes is an RPG with strategy elements. I also enjoy a large number of console RPGs, Squaresoft/Enix titles mainly.

Oh, and having played a bit of Fallout 1 & 2 I can tell you that both run fine on Windows 2K/XP, neither ran on DOS to my knowledge.

if you love those old Western PC RPG then you must try Planescape: Torment, the best West RPG ever since it has the best storyline and character development . Don't sin by not trying it, Lady Pain will burn you in hell.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:09 am

You might also try:

Ultima 7:one of the greatest classic RPG of all time

and Ultima 8 : an underrated game and was hated by the fanatic Ultima fans because it was so different than the series and has a completely different combat system which is diablo-like (but much harder) , Origin should gave it a different name other than Ultima 8 to avoid the conflict. U8 is a RPG-like but still have a lot of the good RPG elements like talking to characters and doing quests and solving puzzles, it's a hybrid of Ultima-Zelda. A real unique Masterpiece but make sure to install its patch before to fix the many bugs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:27 pm

I wouldn't recommend Ultima 7 and 8 at all...he'll have a HECK of a time trying to get them to run on either of his rigs.

Even the interpreters for them are still rather buggy and unfinished.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:29 pm

Ultima 8 was buggy but Ultima 7 was merely perfect.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

Idunno, maybe they've fixed it up since then, but the last time I tried Exult, it didn't run perfect at all.