Runescape is the most boring Mmo ever created.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2008, 7:05 am

(All stated here is my own opinion)

Out of the 20 odd years I've been gaming Runescape has to be the dullest games I've ever played. I played it a while ago and got bored to tears in just 20 odd mins. They have done the looks of the game now so I tried it again. Graphics still are horrid. The music is so bad it makes me want to smack my own head against a wall until I knock myself out. As for the gameplay I could only stand playing it for about 20 mins again. The game should be PY2P (Pay you to play) I know it's free but there is loads of free Mmos out there. What I don't understand is why is the worse out the bunch is so popular.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:30 am

I imagine it's popular because it's free, and free MMOs are slim pickings. Maple Story is the other popular free MMO, and I found that to be just as boring, although the graphics are a lot nicer to look at than Runescape's.

The only MMO I play is Guild Wars, which is a bit of the best from both worlds. It's free of subscription based payments and it has the production qualities of a full fledged product. Apparently some guys from Blizzard who worked on Diablo were responsible for the design behind GW.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2008, 7:55 am

Entirely agreed.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:01 am

I find almost all of the MMO genre to be boring. MMO's rely on the same social contact to function that I try to get away from when I game. I want to get away from society when I game, not just replace it with some online one...

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2008, 4:54 pm

Many are boring like you say but Runescape is instantly boring from the start.

GNRfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 11:29 pm

It's the poor man's WOW , and i hate WOW , so i REALLY hate Runescape.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:08 am

Actually I like Runescape because it has a simiple system that much easier to understand vs other MMORPGs like WoW. Also they just went HD which is cool because it looks realistic.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I imagine it's popular because it's free, and free MMOs are slim pickings. Maple Story is the other popular free MMO, and I found that to be just as boring, although the graphics are a lot nicer to look at than Runescape's.

The only MMO I play is Guild Wars, which is a bit of the best from both worlds. It's free of subscription based payments and it has the production qualities of a full fledged product. Apparently some guys from Blizzard who worked on Diablo were responsible for the design behind GW.

actually free MMOs are quite common. there are more free MMOs than there are subscription MMOs.

of all the free MMOs ive played, some of the best were probably Rappelz, Fiesta, and, by far, Requiem Bloodymare (rated M, but whatever)

Runescape has to be the worst game ive ever played, regardless of a subscription, an internet connection, or even console o_o; i was forced to play it for some odd monthes because a boyfriend of mine at the time moved far away and we couldnt talk much, so i just used runescape to talk to him. needless to say, that relationship didnt go over well :?

as for subscription MMOs, ive been playing FFXI for over 3 and a half years, and never found a dull moment. i started WoW a little under 3 years ago and find myself taking 3-month-long breaks from it cause it just gets so dull... the quests are easier than kindergarten math homework, and the average intelligence i see in general chat, or any chat for that matter, is severely lacking _-_; thus ive been unable to make friends on WoW. however, on FFXI, i still have friends from 2005 on there o_o; its all a matter of opinion though. some people say WoW sucks, some people say FFXI sucks (though i really hate it when someone says either game sucks and theyve never played it before.) but ive never heard anyone say Runescape doesnt suck (so im not sure why anyone still plays it then)

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2008, 6:20 pm

It can't be coincidence that its name is formed from the words "run" and "escape". :p

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 7:13 pm

QuantumToast wrote:
It can't be coincidence that its name is formed from the words "run" and "escape". :p

hah XD genius!

i never noticed that till now

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Aug 2008, 11:02 am

@Shadowbound

Quote:
What I don't understand is why is the worse out the bunch is so popular.

Heh. The age-old question. There are actually Q&As that address that question. Here are a few explanations:

From Wikipedia
"RuneScape's popularity is partially attributable to being accessible from most web browsers allowing players to play the game in many locations."

From Yahoo Answers
"Because its the best free, non-downloaded (or at least not 300mB+..."

From Wiki Answers
"There's a fairly simple explanation for this... 1. You can play for free. 2. It's web based, you can play off you'r web browser."

You couple free with in-your-browser and you basically have a recipe for a game with LOTS of players. Some ask well there are other MMOs that are free too. This is true except you have to download the client, and these can be anywhere from 700mb up to over a gig.

Hope this answered your question.

The former things have passed away."

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 7:38 pm

you can play it from work

Cult_of_SSBB
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2008, 1:52 am

StrawberryJam wrote:
QuantumToast wrote:

hah XD genius!

i never noticed that till now

Wow same here! Looks like they want you to run and escape from the game because it is so boring!

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:10 am

I used to be into runescape.... until I got into WoW =D.

Runescape, BY FAR, has the absolute worst customer service of any game i have ever played, ever. Absolutely terrible. The gameplay itself is also terrible and too non-interactive for me. Warcraft is such a superior game, excellent customer service, way better graphics (although graphics really dont phase me), much better lore, better pve and pvp, and you actually have real guilds.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:06 am

I play runescape, if i had the money id probally play something better like WoW but i don't, so i play runescape. It can get boring sometimes, although in contrast i do enjoy how routine based the gameplay is.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2008, 2:06 pm

It certainly is boring, since they eliminated the free market.
I used to mod there, but I don't even bother logging on any more.