Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 6:28 am

When humans theorize about what might be, they work with the things they know and fantasize with those possibilities. The early gods were different types of people controlling fundamental forces and activities. There were both women gods and men gods and as religions tended to move to the idea that there was only one god and it was men who proposed that idea, God became a man. But if you take the existence of a super intelligent being controlling, not just the Earth but all time and space, different ideas are possible since humans exist only on an insignificant planet in an insignificant galaxy amongst billions of galaxies and a real God probably would hardly look like one of the animals existing for only a tiny space of time, merely a couple of millions of years. At the least it would be the size of a few galaxies made up of millions of stars and certainly not either male or female.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2014, 8:23 am

According to the Enuma Elish, the creator of the universe WAS female...and like the Titans, she was slain by her own offspring.

In the Enuma Elish, Tiamat is portrayed as a personification essentially of the Persian Gulf or possibly the Indian Ocean. I don't know how picky they were about such distinctions. Apparently, the ancient Sumerians really loved the brackish, marshy area that they lived in. Anyway, the world of the ancient Sumerians rose when Tiamat and her consort, Abzu, mingled their waters, and from their union rose many other gods.

However, the other gods were sort of noisy, and they created all kinds of chaos and confusion, and Apsu had this idea that he would make war on their offspring. This was sensed by Marduk, who seems to be related to the Roman deity, Mars and therefore the Greek deity, Ares.

The thing is, Marduk was portrayed as the founder of the city of Nineveh, which is a little upriver, and what I think happened was that some ancient architect figured out that he could flood desert wasteland by controlling the flow of the rivers and engaging in what we now regard as primitive irrigation activities.

Oddly, the Indian counterpart of Tiamat, which seems to be Vritra, was portrayed as an evil serpent that was lying across a river and blocking the free flow of the water, and he (Vritra is portrayed as a male) was slain by Indra, leader of the gods.

Then again, the people of ancient India really hated the Sumerian gods. They hated the Sumerian gods a lot. They hated them with a vengeance, and this sort of bled over into ancient Greek civilization, which used a word for their chief god that was related to the Indian generic term for the "good deities," assuming it's true that there is an etymological connection between "Zeus" and "deva."

As you know, the Greeks have sort of mixed feelings about their gods. I mean, read their mythology. With gods like those, who needs enemies???

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Klowglas wrote:
I think sometimes men tend to put women on a pedestal because of a lack of emotional male relationships. Male relationships, outside of common interest are always reinforcing survival habits, which contradicts emotional relationships, hence the hazing that goes on in fraternities, or even in the playground when a boy is being taunted for doing something that is girly, the boys are trying to eliminate those tender emotions in favor of making a warrior out of the male, women are reinforced when they are soft and tender, men are not. Unconditional love is what humans seek out of God, unconditional love is much more evident in mother/son, though it's merely perception.

I think if males fall too deep into a warrior culture, we end up putting women on a pedestal because the emotional relationship becomes so restricted to women, but I think it's a failure within certain societies where the males are too hardened or war-like, it's especially brutal if the father is absent because he is the one that sets the example that we're not just simply about survival, which is something that I think reflects in the God/man relationship -- God wants you to survive, but he also wants you to have a REASON to survive, if we're too war-like, we tend to not feel emotions (which prevents us from feeling fear), but if we don't feel emotions, then how can we love? Would you trade an entire lifetime of surviving with no real love for one short moment of intense love, but where you died?

This is why I say survival tends to contradict real emotion, because survival really flourishes when there is a lack of emotion. God is all the qualities of a strict, wise, and disciplined male, with all the ingredients of a tender, wholesome, and kind mother. What you see in women is a mere shadow of what's in God -- it's your duty to keep your eyes open to that belief, because it was never something that was restricted to women. It's definitely the nicest and greatest attribute inside of women, but it's not theirs alone.

What you want out of god, is what you want you of women, but the error is believing that it is restricted to women, which is something that society tends to reinforce, but society is wrong.

True, if more people could and would understand that the gender polarizing ideals of culture and religion setting roles of strength and fearless as separate from roles of grace and love per masculine and feminine ideals IS contradictory to balanced innate human nature as whole, at least a few people could and would have a great life with peace of mind.

This a similar philosophy per what all great philosophers have been aiming at per simple human balance that our so-called lesser animal brothers and sisters live life as, per my CAT hugging the brown grass on the Winter Solstice Moon night or rolling in the Hot Summer Sand on Summer Solstice SUNday.

I embrace the feminine and masculine aspects of my being in balance, as well as all other seeming illusions of dichotomy in life, and follow the ways of so many truly successful philosophers of times gone past that still LIVE in NOW. :)

Meanwhile, males particularly, suffer the stiff and narrow walk down Super-Wal-Mart Aisles terrified of looking up at a nearly 230LB muscled middle-age man dance walking a free style of mixed martial arts and ballet, with shades like an FBI agent, albeit shorts and T-shirt in Winter. ;)

Meanwhile, the females videotape me, with their smart phones, of the younger freer kind and ask for my picture with them and at times dance with me, even in public stores.

Perhaps, the males will learn to dance free embracing the grace and love that can mix with the fearless and strength of masculine and feminine as one balanced human.

And who knows, maybe it will make it easier for them to meet females at a much earlier age than my age at 54. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

Jesus had a long woman's hair