Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
No, people murder themselves because they choose to, not because society forces them to.

As a teacher, we had to undergo special training regarding bullying. A person who is bullied may choose to end their life, but that doesn't mean that choice has not been imposed on them. The notion that they are responsible for their own death is anathema to the anti-bullying message and to the psychology behind it.

Bullying? Don't blame the victim!

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

I've been bullied quite a bit.

I've never "blamed" myself--but I developed strategies which served to lessen the bullying at least somewhat.

Ultimately, ignoring the verbal bully usually works quite well.

As for the physical bully: there are times when fighting back will work wonders. Otherwise: ignoring even the physical bully sometimes works wonders as well. Frequently, bullies are seeking a REACTION rather than some kind of revenge. If they don't get a reaction, they become bored, and find some other victim.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

A person's reactions to bullying is entirely dependent on their resources, inner and outer. Some are capable of adapting their coping skills, some aren't. Some are supported by other people, some aren't. Some feel they can seek support, some don't. Some believe they can find an answer, others don't. Nature and nurture play their parts as well. It's such a complex equation that to dismiss it as simply A = B is truly short-sighted.

I was bullied occasionally in high school, but I lived in my own world a lot and that world was more interesting and received most of my attention.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm

How did I dismiss it as A=B?

All I was doing was offering my possible solutions to it.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:58 pm

Magneto wrote:
Mmmm, could there be an ethical way of doing such a study? Perhaps by putting up enough money to fund x number of operations, then recruting 2x transwomen, each of whom will have a 1/2 chance of receiving the surgery (compared to a much lower chance if they weren't partaking, of course).

I think it would be likely to cause study abandonment if they don't get it. I think it would be unethical to deny half of the enrolled women any surgery. And if you do it for any extended period of time, such as 5 years or more, which would be much more useful than short-term follow-up, things can change for the people not granted surgery and they may get surgery: To heck with the study and being a control, I want my surgery, dammit!

I have heard of one study, done in a country where typically you must be full-time for at least 2 years before surgery, that divided trans women into 2 groups: one group who got surgery immediately and one group who got it after 2 years. The group who got it immediately did better than the group who got it after 2 years.

That study is referenced on pp. 68-69 of the U.S. Tax Court's ruling in O'Donnabhain v. Commissioner, in which the court ruled that the IRS must deduct transition-related care:

http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/ ... TC.WPD.pdf

I've asked one of the others of that APA Task Force report about doing this again, and he says money issues in getting everyone surgery would make the studies hard to carry out (i.e. they wouldn't get funding). There's also the wait being lowered to a year, which would make such a study less valuable. Heck, even 2 years probably doesn't tell you a whole lot.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:43 pm

Well, this does not surprise me.

Untreated transsexuality can be like being insane. Some lose touch with their original personality. Their true personality wants to express itself but it has been overcome by the new personality they created to survive. Like Golem in Lord of the Rings, "We even forgots our own name".

Imagine a creature who has lost their mind so much that they only minimally operate from their original personality, and mostly fuction from a personality that was constructed as a matter of survival.

The true personality can be be such a weak voice that it may come across as sick impluses and dismissed as mental illness. For example, when I was young I would have the dog lick my private area, because I wished the dog spit would magically make me a girl.

A trans person cannot escape their original personality. The desperate orignal personality may make the trans person do seeming sick, perverted, disturbed actions. Like the movie X-Men United, "sometimes when you cage the beast - the beast gets angry". So, I am not suprised by this "blood drinker" who possibly later got help, and came to terms with his long suppressed personality.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How did I dismiss it as A=B?

All I was doing was offering my possible solutions to it.

Apologies, kraftiekortie, I was not aiming that at you. I saw your post and laud your reaction to bullies, and your ability to do so. I was speaking more to other folks who think everyone should be able to shrug it off. As a teacher who has dealt with bullied students, and also as a parent of kids who have been strongly affected by bullying, you could say I'm a little hyper-vigilant on the issue.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:44 am

LoveNotHate,

I wonder if not transitioning in early adolescence may have sparked the psychotic episode, then. It's strange, up to age 12, I had consistent cross-gender feelings. In fact, around that age I thought I should have developed breasts, but I didn't. It was torture that I wasn't. After that, though, the feelings disappeared until after the psychosis was resolved when they came back in the form of a crush on a boy, a fellow patient who in retrospect had the severe deficit syndrome form of schizophrenia (he used to be talkative, I heard, but at the time of my hospitalization he would only always say one of 2 or 3 words, one of them being "no", and he rarely did much; he was also extremely cold and aloof, which I think made me attracted to him; he was definitely not depressed). The crush made me feel like a girl, a feeling I know that most people are like, Huh? when they hear it.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:15 am

Then again, my delusions didn't really have anything to do with transsexualism.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 2:56 am

Well, I've betrayed someone in this thread.

To hell with the blood drinker!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:42 am

beneficii wrote:
I wonder if not transitioning in early adolescence may have sparked the psychotic episode, then. It's strange, up to age 12, I had consistent cross-gender feelings. In fact, around that age I thought I should have developed breasts, but I didn't. It was torture that I wasn't. After that, though, the feelings disappeared until after the psychosis was resolved when they came back

I experienced suppression of my original personality and anger/hate often arising from fuctioning with a replacement "constructed personality". This I have read is very consistent with trans people aka "True Selves".

The "constructed personality" state seems like a psychotic state to me. I was anger/hate-filled because I existed with a shallow, constructed personality unable to fight back mentally, and having low self-esteem. After I lost touch with my original personality, I always thought, "I am insane". (Note: This was before the internet, before I knew about trans people).

"Blood drinker" may have schizophrenia, however, I can relate to the suppression of the "true self". I could of very well become one of these many trans people who finally deal with their condition after they committ a major crime.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:25 am

Trust me, Narrator:

I would be at least as hypervigilant about bullies as you should I have kids.

Kids deserve a chance to have a decent time in school, and in life. Especially if they did no one wrong.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:39 am

Cheers Kraftie! :)