Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 1:42 pm

The concept of the Phoenix Principle and the Coming Dark Age is introduced here in PDF form:

http://www.bellics.com/remote-link/The_ ... rk_Age.pdf

Here in website form:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070711083 ... net.co.uk/

The website went defunct in 2008 or so, so we have the Wayback Machine to assist us.

I was looking at this section on the loss of the West's geopolitical, economic, and sociocultural power over the earth (the international section), and was amazed by what is going on with ISIS now, really showing a weakening West:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070630154 ... ctions.htm

This here too shows decline and even darkness already:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070630154 ... ennium.htm

Some pieces of news remind me of certain areas:

The fall of Palmyra and the fear as to what will happen to the ancient monuments there reminded me of the discohesion aspect of "Much of today's infrastructure will be destroyed, either by dark age vandals or by people of the dawn who have no interest in preserving ancient monuments."

The continued expansion of ISIS despite the efforts of the West and its remaining client states in the Middle East reminds me of "While the west has recently used aerial bombing to achieve (apparent) successes, it has had a hard time dealing with small, out-of-control militias, in Africa and elsewhere, that do not abide by known rules of warfare," except that here ISIS is quite large.

The U.S. Secretary of Defense's statement that the Iraqi forces just don't have the resolve to battle ISIS reminds me of "The spectacle of Muslims allying with the west to turn back Iraq's occupation of Kuwait suggested international cohesion. However, Muslim populations were actually equivocal about western involvement despite the victim being Muslim as well as the aggressor," "The west's authority will be challenged, and it will stop policing the world," and "Nations will co-operate less; intergovernmental institutions will break up, including eventually the UN."

I think that exploring this has become interesting again, even if it's not quite true.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:20 pm

It appears to me that the conflict with ISIS has the potential to really de-legitimize the West, particularly the United States, on a scale similar to that of the downfall of the colonial empires that took place after World War II.

What really helped lay the foundation for ISIS' current power was the Iraq War launched in 2003. The United States and its allies had to station several hundred thousands of troops in neighboring countries to even launch the attack. After the downfall of Saddam Hussein's government, which had really kept a lid on groups like ISIS, the U.S. and its allies failed to maintain order in Iraq.

Now, despite the efforts of NATO and western client states in the Middle East, ISIS continues to expand. The illegitimacy of the U.S. and the West is really evident in the lack of resolve shown by Iraqi troops, one of the nations under attack from ISIS.

It seems that unless the U.S. can turn this conflict around U.S. legitimacy will be really hurt in the world at large.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:47 am

listening to the conspiracy theory scuttlebutt, it is current muttering currency that we created ISIS as a strategic tool to achieve a strategic political goal: depose of Syria’s president Assad, who long has blocked a critical Qatari natural gas pipeline, one which could usurp Russia's spot as Europe’s dominant – and belligerent – source of energy.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 4:15 am

This thread needs a StormCloudsGathering video on ISIS...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 10:12 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:

anyone who traveled to Libya during Qaddafi rule knows that "Libya has a high human dev index" thing was a joke.

A single clan having 99% of good things while all others don't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 1:37 pm

I don't think we're headed for another "dark age."

We have to deal with ISIS, though. They are a devolved group whose interests lies in reverting back to medieval ways of doing things.

I think there's geopolitical danger--but it involves the acquisition of nuclear technology by such states as Iran.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 2:14 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:

what is the destination? what is the final result?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:01 am

http://isis.liveuamap.com/

It is terrifying how people living their daily life here normally while hell is near at our doorstep.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:04 am

^^^
do you have a backup plan in case they get too close?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:35 am

^^ The corporate I work for has already affiliates in Turkey and UAE, so I guess I would be reallocated in one of them in this case, it's a software business so the important assets are easily mobile and transferable.

Otherwise....to my relatives in Cyprus.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:38 am

^^^
good you have a safe out :thumleft:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:40 am

^^ backup plans in war crisis often don't work as exactly as anticipated.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:41 am

do you have a plan C in case the others don't work out?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:48 am

There's no plan C.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:50 am

gulp. hope for the best.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 10:42 pm

So it has come to this, for the first time in my life I am a Moderate.

Back during Viet Nam I offered a flat rate, $1500 a head in gold, with all heads being equal. They are when B52s carpet bomb, I want the same, and take all, or you will never learn what happened to your own who were in the wrong place. I was called a Psychopath.

I also wanted property rights to the land cleared. I turned out it had been claimed by Corporations before the war.

The cost per kill was 10,000 rounds in Korea, everything from navel shelling, bombs, down to bullets. The cost per wound was over a $100,000.

By the time Nam came around, 100,000 rounds and a million dollar wound.

Iraq, 250,000 and several million.

My new offer, $5,000,000 per ISIS killed on video. This will not be lay in the ditch and get shot, this will be super gluing corn on their whole body, and turning them loose in the camel pen.

Sending them to heaven by catapult wearing a video camera would make short clips. We can interview those in line waiting their turn. Reality TV, the world is ready for My War. The same catapult can throw women farther, and children and babies the farthest.

For the local content, a water slide where contestants doused with oil, set on fire then pushed down the slide, which ends in a flaming pit. Got to have a wireless mike for this one.

It is not Genocide if you leave some alive in zoos.

Compared to dropping 500 pound bombs on bamboo huts, I am a humane moderate.

ISIS does not do diplomatic, they do do crimes against humanity, They will ride a car bomb to death, so the threat of prison is weak. Respect their religion, cut off both hands and feet at the knees and elbows, cut out their tongue, lock a chain about their neck, and to a post in the ground. Give them food and water, line the roads with them.

Japan did some of that terror stuff to us. Chopped off heads and ate livers. In response, we took islands in the Pacific with 125,000 Japanese, plus locals, dogs, cats, livestock, and none of them were ever heard from again.

Vlad the Impaler stopped the much stronger Turks by placing captives on rather dull stakes, where they could live for weeks.

The Great Kahn tied people's feet to a pole, then another layer, then another, till the circle was twenty foot high.

If you want to get along you have to speak the local language.