Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pascal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2009, 3:48 pm

When I was a kid, my teacher asked me at school what I wanted to be later in Life.

He was surprized I did not want to be a rockstar nor an astronaut....

I said I wanted to be a GURU.... 8O

Time has flown and I haven't figured out how to realize my dream...

Is becoming a personal coach the same as being a GURU?

1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1
1 5 10 10 5 1

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 3:52 pm

To be a guru, you have to lie through your teeth, and believe the lie. The lie, in case you are interested, is that you are some kind of spiritual psychic expert. A true guru believes that he or she has spiritual insight, and therefore doesn't feel like a total d.ckhead when folks start bowing down and worshipping them.

That's my cynical take on it anyway.

Nice job if you can get it...

Pascal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

I don't want people to bow down before me and worship me, maybe that is a good omen. :?

1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1
1 5 10 10 5 1

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:31 pm

There is a guy at work I call the Excel guru. He is awesome with spreadsheets and I often seek his advice. 8)

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:34 pm

The word 'guru' simply means teacher or expert. Master some skill and teach it. Get a certification if you like; it helps prove your guru-ness to others.

Quote:
A guru (Sanskrit: गुरु, Bengali: গুরু) is a person who is regarded as having great knowledge, wisdom and authority in a certain area, and uses it to guide others. The word comes from Sanskrit Gu, darkness, and Ru, light (prakash); literally a preceptor who shows others knowledge (light) and destroys ignorance (darkness).

Most people associate it with someone controversial like Maharishi Yogi or Osho (who were spiritual teachers) ... natural, but not really accurate. To say that all spiritual gurus are con-men is like saying all pastors, priests and rabbis are con-men. Some high profile ones are, most are not. Lots of religion workers stick to conducting services, teaching religion, counseling others, and facilitating community for the congregation.

And as mentioned above, gurus don't have to teach religion - they can be a guru for musical instruments, dance, yoga, computer programming, etc.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2009, 4:40 pm

subject + guru = expert in that subject

Like, golf guru, linux guru...

But what happens when you are an expert on gurus? Does this make you a guru guru?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:48 pm

Oggleleus wrote:
But what happens when you are an expert on gurus? Does this make you a guru guru?

guru, guru, om, om

guru, guru, om

om, guru, guru

om, guru, om

Let's chant, everyone!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:26 pm

mgran wrote:
To be a guru, you have to lie through your teeth, and believe the lie. The lie, in case you are interested, is that you are some kind of spiritual psychic expert. A true guru believes that he or she has spiritual insight, and therefore doesn't feel like a total d.ckhead when folks start bowing down and worshipping them.

That's my cynical take on it anyway.

Nice job if you can get it...

Actually, they're just narcissists, and enjoy the attention. They don't really believe that they have a connection to God or whatever, unless they've been at it a while, after which time all the positive feedback induces insanity and they really DO start to believe it.

I personally have long wanted to be a guru, or maybe a despot of some kind (less likely). If you're top banana, you don't have to compromise, you force people to do what YOU want them to. Henry Ford had a lot of weird ideas, and had the power to just sort of force them and him on those around him. Most aspies are at the mercy of as*hole NTs, so it's understandable why they would want to be on top for a while. But unless you can invent a unique religion, or be a natural military genius who can raise his own army, you have little hope of being on top.

Another option is to invent a new gizmo that most people suddenly find they can't live without, and sell it profitably to them, then you can be a business guru. But the days of it being a single guy like Ford who becomes a legend is generally over, most new inventions nowadays come from vast masses of scientists and everybody gets a slice of pie. Most of the billionaires of the last boom were in securities and real estate, which is basically moving money around and creating a bubble. The problem with that is you can't quit, and you're all in when it pops, and the rest of your life is spent on the streets.

The days of great fortunes are over, which leaves being a warlord (unlikely for most aspies, since we tend to suck at military discipline) or being a prophet or guru (a little more likely, but you've got to have charisma, which is rare in even NT people). I personally have never heard of an aspie guru, except maybe Buddha but the record is so muddled that it's impossible to tell. Some Buddhist abbots ARE aspie most likely.

The vast majority of modern gurus seem to just want poon and to be worshipped. Gurus tend to have women throwing themselves at them, which most NT guys would totally dig, but an aspie would likely get annoyed. Come to think of it, Krishnamurti might have been aspie, he seems to have not cared about worship or about women, in fact the few partners he had seem to have forced themselves on him emotionally. But other than that? NT all the way.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:33 pm

I was just thinking to today, I need a guru!

Need advice on how to brace depression and death.

On the otherhand, a guru would probably be another fancy name for psychologist. I think what I really need is a hypnotist or an apothecary to invoke a feeling of nepenthe.... :(

Pascal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2009, 5:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imWRQpY0P58[/youtube]

:sunny: pb solved

1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1
1 5 10 10 5 1

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:48 pm

I doubt a frenchman could pass for the Dalai-lama, no offense.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:56 pm

Very soothing video ...

I couldn't go to Tibet, but last month I visited this monastery:

Of course, none of the pictures do justice to the real view - there were no rainbows that day, but the enormity of the landscape cannot be captured by the average camera.

Pascal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2009, 6:44 pm

phil777 wrote:
I doubt a frenchman could pass for the Dalai-lama, no offense.

“Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous.” a french philosopher

1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1
1 5 10 10 5 1

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 9:57 pm

According to the cartoons, all you have to do is grow a long beard and sit on the top of a mountain. I never could grow a beard. :cry:

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:47 pm

In a serious reply to this topic, a guru (in your sense of thinking) must become so spiritually enlightened that they can do away with the external world completely, except for basic bodily necessities. In fact, they wish to become separate from the world, which is where the idea of the guru on the mountaintop comes from.

The difficulty for an autistic is that a guru must, for those willing to seek her out, be capable of expressing their understanding in such a way that it can be understood. Some gurus have forsaken this ideal, and so petitioners must come to understand what he tells them.

Consider moving into the forest or to the mountains and caring for yourself to remove yourself from the necessity of spending your time away from spiritual enlightenment and meditation. Caring for yourself, away from humanity, takes time, but it is much easier to meditate on enlightenment while gathering fruit than it is while building tables.

Edit: By the way, if you do forsake civilization, plant some trees, vegetables, etc. It will reduce the time it takes to gather necessary goods. The key here is that, while forsaking civilization, you don't forsake the neolithic revolution.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 6:53 am

I will treat this subject seriously because it is the most important human question there is.

When we were little we were told that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny were real. We were told that the government was composed of wise men and women who had our interests at heart.

We were told that religious leaders knew all about God and stuff like that.

Then we grew up and had children of our own so we told them much the same thing.

Then your parents die or become old so that you must look after them.

Then you realize that YOU are the head of the family. You are the one that people look to for wisdom and advice.

Do you feel like a Guru now?