Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 7:28 pm

I don't think it's bad. I just don't do it much in public.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm

In the time of Queen Victoria, flush toilets were made by a man named Crapper.

Thus it became a polite euphemism to say "I am going to the crapper"

"Gay" became a polite euphemism for "homosexual" but now kids get into trouble for saying "that is so gay".

This is pathetic because when when the kids say "gay" they mean silly or stupid and it has nothing to do with sex.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Aug 2010, 9:17 am

jc6chan wrote:
I always can't understand why swearing is bad...I'm a Christian and people from church and christian fellowships etc... say that swearing is bad. I try to avoid swearing and i understand that it is bad when you're swearing at other people. But what about when you accidently do something and say "S***!" Or some swear words are just a synonym (different word same meaning) of other words like "butt" and "poo" or "crap". Like when some people swear, they don't even mean to do anything bad or harm other people.

I'm atheist, but cursing to me just sounds course and crude, and is a trait of someone who can't find more descriptive language.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:29 am

Bethie wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
I always can't understand why swearing is bad...I'm a Christian and people from church and christian fellowships etc... say that swearing is bad. I try to avoid swearing and i understand that it is bad when you're swearing at other people. But what about when you accidently do something and say "S***!" Or some swear words are just a synonym (different word same meaning) of other words like "butt" and "poo" or "crap". Like when some people swear, they don't even mean to do anything bad or harm other people.

I'm atheist, but cursing to me just sounds course and crude, and is a trait of someone who can't find more descriptive language.

I am quite comfortable with words and have no problems being acceptably articulate when that is the appropriate form of communication but violent and explosive epithets are a vital and necessary part of any individual' emotional expression when the occasion requires that. The very crudeness of the language is a vital element in that expression and the cruder the better to carry forth the strong emotions involved. If you do not comprehend that you are completely unaware of some of the necessary functions of language.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Aug 2010, 3:19 pm

Sand wrote:
violent and explosive epithets are a vital and necessary part of any individual' emotional expression

I LOL'd.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2010, 5:28 pm

Swearing is bad because it's too cool for Christianity. 8)

Plus, I would go with the whole what comes out of a mouth is indicative of the personality. That doesn't however stop me from being a sailor-mouthed agony uncle to all my friends. :?

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2010, 2:18 pm

[quote="just_ben"]Swearing is bad because it's too cool for Christianity. 8)

:lol: :lmao: Like your quote there :afro: