Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 2:03 pm

So this hilarious little article claims.

http://healtheland.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... of-autism/

I wonder how many people actually believe this?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 2:38 pm

:lol: Wow... is he saying that demonic possession is an STD?
Quite amusing - he manages to fit in demons, video games, anime, rap music, divorce, women's liberation, Obama, public schools and a cure for autism that involves forcing children to listen to the bible all in one article.

I know there have been exorcisms done (in modern times) to autistic kids some of which ended badly so it's not a new phenomenon. Though, they're not too dissimilar to the biomed curebies in tactics and ideology.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 2:47 pm

Well absolutely! My grandma's second cousin's postman had a bastard child with a witch, and ever since then we've been cursed. 8O

As if there weren't some good-hearted Amish women around. Tsk tsk.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:32 am

What bothers me is the comments by people stupid enough to believe this nonsense. Especially the ones who are or think they may be on the spectrum. I'll never understand why people invent these supernatural explanations to :evil: HAIL SATAN AND HIS AUTISTIC GLORY :evil: perfectly natural genetic differences.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:58 am

In answer to the title: No, I don't.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

I don't believe that at all. I think that there is a purpose to how we are each created, that we each serve God in unique ways and that the key is to learn how best to utilize the uniqueness and the talents that we are given. That holds true for NTs and for people with ASDs. We're given circumstances and potentials, and some of us may just have different ways of discovering them, and of serving, than others.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons?

Are you asking?

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons (people in red clothes carrying pitchforks)?

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons (those who invented the term autism which appear to be psychiatrists/psychologists/educators)?

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons (radio talk show hosts like Michael Savage)?

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons (the elders behind the Salem Witchcraft trials)?

Religious folks: do you think autism is caused by demons (It's the fluoride in the water)?

Other?

---

X-ref:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek (Shrek and Fiona)

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Do you think autism is caused by demons?

Uhm, no. :? I would like these excorsists to explain why a demon would repeat the incident if it hates it so much, and why it would want to be obvious to everyone around it.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 5:34 pm

Well, it would follow logically that young earth creationists would be most likely to believe this.
So... if you don't believe in evolution, then you likely don't buy the whole issue of genes.
Thus... genes are demons, created by evil people, invoking satan, the lord of the earth's unholy name.

So... I guess by that logic Autism is caused by demons.

Interesting side note... the best anagram I can get out of my full name is "See Unholy King Satan" and I'm pretty sure I'm aspie. Fitting, eh?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:14 pm

Wordpress seems to be a popular host for, ahem, *unconventional* blogs. Lots of antigovernment (US gov) stuff on Wordpress. Birthers, truthers, survivalists, sovereign citizens, wacked out religious kooks, etc. Wordpress went offline briefly at one point in July, and a rumor started that Obama had their plug pulled, presumably for the antigov stuff on there. Wordpress's operators don't really moderate, and they tend to come down on the First Amendment whenever somebody raises questions, so I guess they get all the kooks. The weird thing is, the "moderated" blog host services allow all sorts of spam blogs (if you remember the fat belly weight loss ads, clicking on one would lead you to a blog post used as a front for selling the product). But antigov stuff gets tossed off. Go figure.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

Exclavius wrote:
Well, it would follow logically that young earth creationists would be most likely to believe this.
So... if you don't believe in evolution, then you likely don't buy the whole issue of genes.
Thus... genes are demons, created by evil people, invoking satan, the lord of the earth's unholy name.

Interesting side note... the best anagram I can get out of my full name is "See Unholy King Satan" and I'm pretty sure I'm aspie. Fitting, eh?

That's a fail even for a strawman.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 4:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

well, the issue is that creationists are still creationists regardless they don't connect autism with demon possesions, and even so, some may still believe that demon possesions can actually take place, given biblical literalists, the accounts on the gospels about possesed people and Jesus casting out the demons are to be believed as if they were literally, no?, although that seems more evident with catholics. Not only that, but autism would very likely be considered to be demon possession around 1 AD given that epilepsy was.

I highly doubt that Judaism and Christianity were that friendly with people with mental disorders or conditions until the heretics found out what the real deal is.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

scubasteve wrote:
What bothers me is the comments by people stupid enough to believe this nonsense. Especially the ones who are or think they may be on the spectrum. I'll never understand why people invent these supernatural explanations to :evil: HAIL SATAN AND HIS AUTISTIC GLORY :evil: perfectly natural genetic differences.

Because lacking of proper knowledge of how and why a phenomena takes place has been historically concluded to be of supernatural causes or caused by a supernatural being, and yes, there are still people who believe in the supernatural, sadly.

Exclavius wrote:
it would follow logically that young earth creationists would be most likely to believe this.

Actually, I think it should, but Christianity was forced to evolve somehow with the empirical knowledge of how things work through out history, even biblical literalists, but creationism hasn't died yet, as ruvein stated, the Bible was written by men who didn't know about microrganisms and atoms, etc and most likely, the book of Genesis may have been written with a flat earth in mind, as well as the sumerians may have, so yeah, there is still a problem there. But they manage to save creationism from dying somehow, and well, at least geocentrism doesn't seem that popular among them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 10:14 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

well, the issue is that creationists are still creationists regardless they don't connect autism with demon possesions, and even so, some may still believe that demon possesions can actually take place, given biblical literalists, the accounts on the gospels about possesed people and Jesus casting out the demons are to be believed as if they were literally, no?, although that seems more evident with catholics. Not only that, but autism would very likely be considered to be demon possession around 1 AD given that epilepsy was.

I highly doubt that Judaism and Christianity were that friendly with people with mental disorders or conditions until the heretics found out what the real deal is.

I don't know about the first century AD, but after Middle English was around, the word "dunce" was in usage. At that time most of the English speaking world were Christians and the age of the earth wasn't such an issue as that of monarchs wishing to assert their "divine right of kings" versus the population saying "forget that!".

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

I don't know about the first century AD, but after Middle English was around, the word "dunce" was in usage. At that time most of the English speaking world were Christians and the age of the earth wasn't such an issue as that of monarchs wishing to assert their "divine right of kings" versus the population saying "forget that!".

I'm hardly able to see where you are going with that last comment, other than to support that Christianity saw "dunces" as something to separate from their children, which supports them seeing the neurodiverse as demons or possessed.

As for my argument being a strawman, no, I'm afraid it was an all out joke. About as worthy of serious consideration as the original premise of the OP. I guess you could call it sophistry though I would call it satire, with the intent of pointing out the ridiculous nature of all arguments that lead to supernatural conclusions. ie, that they are "concocted" in such a way as to lead to the conclusion that one desires in the first place by manipulation of the premises to allow for that conclusion.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 11:13 pm

Exclavius wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

I'm hardly able to see where you are going with that last comment, other than to support that Christianity saw "dunces" as something to separate from their children, which supports them seeing the neurodiverse as demons or possessed.

As for my argument being a strawman, no, I'm afraid it was an all out joke. About as worthy of serious consideration as the original premise of the OP. I guess you could call it sophistry though I would call it satire, with the intent of pointing out the ridiculous nature of all arguments that lead to supernatural conclusions. ie, that they are "concocted" in such a way as to lead to the conclusion that one desires in the first place by manipulation of the premises to allow for that conclusion.

I think it is highly possible for people to see whatever they like in the words that anyone speaks or writes ever.

However, no. The word "dunce" referred to a slow learner, with nothing demonic associated.