What will aspies do when the economy collapses?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 7:32 pm

My special interest lately has been survivalism and what I and many others see as the inevitable collapse of the economic, social, and political structures of the USA and possibly beyond. I have been planning for this for a while. I learned how to repair computers so I wouldn't have an income dependent on government welfare. I tried starting a business, only to end up bankrupt when it didn't fly. I am currently figuring out how to advertise my computer repair services for maximum impact.

But most aspies/auties don't have any skills they can get money/food for, most live on welfare and usually with relatives, most are obsessed with VERY narrow interests that are useless to society, etc. What will they do when everything comes crashing down? Die? Aspies can't live on the streets; we lack "street smarts" and are likely to end up dead before acquiring them. I'm looking to buy a patch of land where I can grow/raise my own food, and of course it would have no mortgage so I wouldn't have to worry about the banks, just the taxes.

But most of us have no options and no way of getting options. If our families lose their homes, they will likely dump us, like families did to kids in the 30s, and we'll end up as wanderers. This time around, people will be so crazed with hunger that they'll be more willing to eat us than accommodate us. (Zeno, you have a thread, so stay out of mine, ok? Thanks.) What will YOU do when society collapses?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 9:09 pm

pezar wrote:

But most of us have no options and no way of getting options. If our families lose their homes, they will likely dump us, like families did to kids in the 30s, and we'll end up as wanderers. This time around, people will be so crazed with hunger that they'll be more willing to eat us than accommodate us. (Zeno, you have a thread, so stay out of mine, ok? Thanks.) What will YOU do when society collapses?

During the Great Depression there were no publicized cases of cannibalism. Which means if there were any such, they were few and rare. In addition to which people were fairly generous with food. There was not enough cash but few people starved during the Great Depression. There were soup kitchens in the cities and the churches saw to it that the needy were fed.

So your crazed with hunger scenario is not realistic or probable.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pezar wrote:

During the Great Depression there were no publicized cases of cannibalism. Which means if there were any such, they were few and rare. In addition to which people were fairly generous with food. There was not enough cash but few people starved during the Great Depression. There were soup kitchens in the cities and the churches saw to it that the needy were fed.

So your crazed with hunger scenario is not realistic or probable.

ruveyn

To judge the future from the past is a huge mistake.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:07 pm

Many of us have technical skills. Those are valuable.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:52 pm

We have a friend of the famlily who's been laid off and has recently been diagnosed with aspergers. He's having a tough time finding a job and keeping up with the rents of an apartment that's the size of a studio. If worse comes to worse, we've arranged for him to live with us.

Meanwhile, I've never had a job that payed well enough to live on independently so now I live with my dad.

roche12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2010, 12:22 am

Starve like everyone else?

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 3:46 am

Well, assuming that everything DOES go to hell, I should be okay. I already grow my own herbs, fruit and vegetables so I wont be TOO hungry, but I hopefully will have marketable skills as an Electrician by then. Imagine that, people might have to GROW their own food, how horrible.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2010, 5:13 am

Well I for one am planning on hunting liberals and fratboys for food, both groups are very abundant in the Seattle area, so I don't think starving will be a problem. Vegans are a real treat as well, the all vegetable diet gives them a lovely texture, and the flavor is just so clean, like a nice veal. I'll be sure to use my crossbow made from sustainably farmed wood to harvest them humanely, in keeping with their beliefs. I'm thinking Mexican for the cooking style, it calls for a lot of pork and the heavy spices should help overpower that boozy aftertaste from the fratboy, or maybe I'll just save them for beer sausage. See, survival is all about working with what you're given. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Feb 2010, 6:05 am

Well I got some guns and a lot of canned food. Honestly I'm not worried. Not like I got a lot going on anyways.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 8:13 am

Eerie. I've been researching this for a project and been thinking about the ways people react to these events and coincidentally one of the characters has AS. Fingers crossed it will be picked up soon.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:20 am

Unorthodox wrote:
Well I for one am planning on hunting liberals and fratboys for food, both groups are very abundant in the Seattle area, so I don't think starving will be a problem. Vegans are a real treat as well, the all vegetable diet gives them a lovely texture, and the flavor is just so clean, like a nice veal. I'll be sure to use my crossbow made from sustainably farmed wood to harvest them humanely, in keeping with their beliefs. I'm thinking Mexican for the cooking style, it calls for a lot of pork and the heavy spices should help overpower that boozy aftertaste from the fratboy, or maybe I'll just save them for beer sausage. See, survival is all about working with what you're given. :lol:

Look at
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gene+may+ ... 0100485713

Eating human flesh might not be a good idea.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:53 am

Sand wrote:

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to relive them.

All learning is based on past experience.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 12:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to relive them.

All learning is based on past experience.

ruveyn

And as exampled by the Catholic Church and various political parties, those who remember the past and revere it also are doomed to repeat it. Santayana's much quoted aphorism is pure BS.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 12:23 pm

Should that actually happen I figure aspies will just be more driven than ever to do what they do best - innovate, innovate, innovate. Some people's creativities really seem to come out under pressure and I think that's true for a lot of us.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 12:28 pm

Unorthodox wrote:

You should write a letter to Alton Browne, he might have some tips for ya. Scarier still he might actually know these kinds of things and reply back :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 2:22 pm

They die.

Survival of the fittest comes back into play and so does evolution.

Sorry for sounding so morbid, but thats the case.