Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 5:25 pm

Mired in scandal, Pope Benedict XVI has refused to make amends for enabling the continued predation of pedophile priests upon our innocent children, especially of his personal involvement in the cover-up and enabling of priestly pedophilia during his time as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. In the United States, these would be serious criminal acts, but the pope is more concerned about the embarrassment of scandal. Let us remember that it was not long ago that Papists threatened Washington, D.C., that they would stop their charity work in the city if gay civil unions were legalized. This is the same institution that still does not recognize women's equality by not admitting women into the ranks of its priesthood. It is about time this archaic institution stepped out of the Middle Ages and started making amends for its wrongs.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 5:42 pm

It might take a few centuries or more to amend all their wrongs though... :? this latest was only a pinnacle of 2 millennia old habits of nonsense, hypocrisy and cruelty.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 6:51 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Mired in scandal, Pope Benedict XVI has refused to make amends for enabling the continued predation of pedophile priests upon our innocent children, especially of his personal involvement in the cover-up and enabling of priestly pedophilia during his time as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. In the United States, these would be serious criminal acts, but the pope is more concerned about the embarrassment of scandal. Let us remember that it was not long ago that Papists threatened Washington, D.C., that they would stop their charity work in the city if gay civil unions were legalized. This is the same institution that still does not recognize women's equality by not admitting women into the ranks of its priesthood. It is about time this archaic institution stepped out of the Middle Ages and started making amends for its wrongs.

I'd prefer that it vanish, rather then just update itself.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 6:58 pm

Avarice wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

But an institution that well embedded in world culture with its dogma full of nonsensical logic that is accepted in a totally uncritical following cannot vanish very easily. It is deeply woven into the fabric of its members' lives and sustained by daily contact with its minor officials so it is well buffered against its very nasty behavior. It is unlikely to vanish.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 7:39 pm

Sand wrote:
Avarice wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

But an institution that well embedded in world culture with its dogma full of nonsensical logic that is accepted in a totally uncritical following cannot vanish very easily. It is deeply woven into the fabric of its members' lives and sustained by daily contact with its minor officials so it is well buffered against its very nasty behavior. It is unlikely to vanish.

I know, sad as it is the Church is unlikely to "just vanish". The public don't want it to, and neither do many governments, considering that Christianity is embedded in many peoples lives to a great enough extent that they are willing to ignore pedophilia, which is generally considered to be one of the worst crimes imaginable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 7:57 pm

Avarice wrote:

I know, sad as it is the Church is unlikely to "just vanish". The public don't want it to, and neither do many governments, considering that Christianity is embedded in many peoples lives to a great enough extent that they are willing to ignore pedophilia, which is generally considered to be one of the worst crimes imaginable.

The Roman Catholic Church has been 2000 years in the making. It will take at least half that time to disappear. Too many people are habituated to it, so it simply will not just disappear.

ruveyn

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 8:21 pm

How many of you stick around teenagers often? I have no choice, so I see one thousand and six hundred of them every day, and if they are in any way a decent sample of the actual population, then we have two hundred years before we are in a neopagan society. The era of christianity is almost over and I say AMEN to that. All major religions and governments have screwed up beyond repair, and these kids are turning to pagan traditions and past lives and have the whole screw the state mentality. It's all about to crash, and I can't wait to cheer it on. :compress:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:47 pm

fidelis wrote:
How many of you stick around teenagers often? I have no choice, so I see one thousand and six hundred of them every day, and if they are in any way a decent sample of the actual population, then we have two hundred years before we are in a neopagan society. The era of christianity is almost over and I say AMEN to that.

The "rebel" teenagers at your suburban middle school/high school are not representative of the rest of the world. There are many parts of the United States (mostly rural or Southern) where Christianity, especially of a fundamentalist or evangelical variety, is alive and well. In developing countries, the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and various Protestant denominations are all growing.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 10:36 pm

"Romish" and "Papist" are derogatory terms that are historically associated with minority oppression in the Brittish Isles, particularly with repression of the Irish. These terms are now frequently seen in WASPish neo-Nazi type/ white supremecist groups.

The Catholic church has a lot to answer for, the appointment of Pope Palpatine not least; however, let's please not use terms that are associated with such unpleasant history and disgusting modern groups.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 10:41 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
fidelis wrote:
How many of you stick around teenagers often? I have no choice, so I see one thousand and six hundred of them every day, and if they are in any way a decent sample of the actual population, then we have two hundred years before we are in a neopagan society. The era of christianity is almost over and I say AMEN to that.

The "rebel" teenagers at your suburban middle school/high school are not representative of the rest of the world. There are many parts of the United States (mostly rural or Southern) where Christianity, especially of a fundamentalist or evangelical variety, is alive and well. In developing countries, the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and various Protestant denominations are all growing.

Two things: Urban as in inner city, and I was happily deluding myself. For all I know the church will always be around, but I really wish they would leave me alone. I really like the neopagan crap, because it's not being shoved down my throat. Besides, neopagan is nothing but christianity in a mask, which is really annoying.

On topic: they have screwed up beyond repair. There is nothing they can do at this point for an apology to be anything more than a piece of rhetoric.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 6:56 am

At the root of the matter is that the RC Church still requires their priests to be celibate. This is an open invitation to perverts to become priests. Why? Celibacy will limit the number of people who wish to become priests and the church as to look the other way in order to get any priests.

ruven

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 9:29 am

They ought to make a poll regarding who's in favor of priests getting married. I do think nowadays most of the populace would be in favor, if it means avoiding scandals of pedophilia.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 9:40 am

phil777 wrote:
They ought to make a poll regarding who's in favor of priests getting married. I do think nowadays most of the populace would be in favor, if it means avoiding scandals of pedophilia.

It might mean priests chase little girls instead of little boys.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 3:06 pm

Sand wrote:
phil777 wrote:

It might mean priests chase little girls instead of little boys.

Unfortunately, I think they already did/are doing, but it wasn't as publicised as it was with the boys. :?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 3:08 pm

Maybe they should allow priests to marry regardless of gender. And maybe they should allow women to be ordained. Maybe they should quit claiming that condoms cause the spread of AIDS. Maybe they should quit blaming the press for their bad reputation. Maybe they should be more concerned about the welfare of children than their own image. Maybe they should tone down the gold and gems of the vatican a little in favor of actual good works around the world.

In any case, there are girls being abused as well - just not as many, so you don't hear about it as much; it's not the gender or sexual preference that's the problem, it's that the priests have no natural sexual outlet. I've heard one ex-priest describe it as 'torture.'

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 7:48 pm

LKL wrote:
"Romish" and "Papist" are derogatory terms that are historically associated with minority oppression in the Brittish Isles, particularly with repression of the Irish. These terms are now frequently seen in WASPish neo-Nazi type/ white supremecist groups.

Nah, the Catholic Church isn't exactly deserving of any respect right now.