Why is human life more important than animal life?

Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

It depends.Hypothetical question.
Casey Anthony or a Sea Turtle?
Which one has more right to be here?
Human life is more important because we think it is.I'm sure if you could ask an alligator it would think it's life was more important.
The sea turtle gets my vote over a woman who would kill her child and throw her out like garbage.

06 Nov 2012, 6:39 am

PunkyKat wrote:
A concept I will never understand. I remember watching animals on TV be killed because they eventualy lost it and attacked their abusive owners and the police would kill it and I would ask why they had to do that and I was told "a human life is more important than an animals". When I tell how I think animal testing and vivesection is wrong in any form I am told it is okay because it is helping people and that human life is more important. Why? Humans are the most selfish, greedy and destructive creatures. I love my bearded dragon more than anything and would defend her to the death if I had too. I would save her before I was to save a person, even a family member. Why are humans oh so important? When I asked that I usualy got a religious answer about humans were created in God's image and they have "dominion" over the animals. I never bought that and it just adds another reason to the list of why I dislike most Christians.

My mum used to say my autism is the reason I felt this way.

The answer to your question is the simple fact that humans, like all sentient organisms, are selfish and self-interested and so they put their own kind before other species. It's really how people are wired.

As for Christianity, it is an anthropomorphic religion that projects human qualities onto things that are clearly non-human. Like the Universe for example. At teh same time, anthropomorphic projection is a Western religious tradition that predates Christianity and is actually very infantile.

06 Nov 2012, 6:41 am

Fnord wrote:
We're the apex predators, and THAT makes us more important than animals.

BTW Fnord(and iamnotaparakeet) how do you feel about the fact that certain people are trying to create something that will change this? You might think that this is impossible, but if so you are WRONG.

Misslizard wrote:
It depends.Hypothetical question.
Casey Anthony or a Sea Turtle?

Sea Turtle. Because of what she did, Casey Anthony has about as much worth as a slab of fresh meat.

factotum666
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2016, 2:40 pm

xxx --- does this work???

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:48 pm

Yeah, I have trouble wrapping my head around this. I think other animals have just as much right to life as humans do, but nobody else sees it that way. They couldn't help what they were born as, and they shouldn't be "punished" by having their lives be seen as worth less than that of a human's. And people even value the lives of some animals over that of other animals. Most people would be horrified at the thought of killing a dog but have no qualms about killing an ant. It's completely illogical, but logic isn't really NTs' thing, so it's not surprising.

factotum666
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2016, 5:53 pm

Either my 22 years of experience on the internet plus 20 years as a professional programmer and a 130+ iq does not qualify me to be on this site, or this site is run and managed by idiots. Most of the time this site works poorly, if at all

factotum666
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2016, 6:06 pm

The ideas discussed here are good, but the site itself sucks, and works very poorly.

That said. This question goes away if one thinks in terms of e-prime. E-prime is english without the use of any form of the verb "to be". I like a modified form that allows the verb if it applies to things that can be measured. As in "mary is 5' 7" tall" or "The shirt is red". If you dump e-prime, then the question goes away. In fact, the word "important looses most of its meaning". What you get instead is "Why do most people like or value human lives more than animal lives." The my answer to that would be that in terms of evolution, humans who put the lives of animals above their own did not tend to pass that trait onto their non existent descendants. Think if a similar question like which is better chocolate or vinilla. We can easily see that we can ask that question in a more meaningful way (note the lack of the use of the verb to be) by saying which flavor do you prefer. Of course preferring chocolate to vanilla has less dire consequences than preferring animals to humans.

This has nothing to do with logic, but with likes and dislikes. And it kinda cuts the arrogant legs out from under the person who posted that liking dogs more than ants is not logical so we aspies are "better" than NT's. Extend that logic and you end up with computers are better than humans cause computers have no emotion and are totally logical.

Aspies will probably like e-prime. Do a search on the terms english and e-prime and try and avoid the programming language e-prime.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2016, 6:24 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
Yeah, I have trouble wrapping my head around this. I think other animals have just as much right to life as humans do, but nobody else sees it that way. They couldn't help what they were born as, and they shouldn't be "punished" by having their lives be seen as worth less than that of a human's. And people even value the lives of some animals over that of other animals. Most people would be horrified at the thought of killing a dog but have no qualms about killing an ant. It's completely illogical, but logic isn't really NTs' thing, so it's not surprising.

Ants are different to dogs.

I know that's an obvious point.

Dogs have much greater awareness and cognition and ability to suffer. They're capable of expressing affection and anger.

Life isn't valuable in itself. You kill living things all the time. Every time you swallow, you dump thousands of bacteria in acid, not to mention countless skin cells from your cheeks.

The thing that makes some life valuable is sentience. Having an awareness of your continuing self and being able to truly experience things means that you have the right to have your continuing self respected. The huge majority of humans meet this requirement - the only ones who don't are those clinging onto life after serious accidents but lacking all consciousness. So do many animals, and presumably many alien life forms. These life forms should be granted many of the same rights as humans, as their specific needs demand.

They won't be, because there is little political will for it, but I think it is morally correct.

factotum666
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2016, 12:30 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:
Ants are different to dogs.

I know that's an obvious point

Dogs have much greater awareness and cognition

And like the sun going around the earth being "obvious" it is wrong. The largest single living entity spanning much of California is an ant colony. Ants are to ant colonies what single cells are to dogs. So the ant colony may, in fact, be more aware than dogs
Quote:

and ability to suffer. They're capable of expressing affection and anger.

Life isn't valuable in itself. You kill living things all the time. Every time you swallow, you dump thousands of bacteria in acid, not to mention countless skin cells from your cheeks.

The thing that makes some life valuable is sentience. .
Having an awareness of your continuing self and being able to truly experience things means that you have the right to have your continuing self respected. The huge majority of humans meet this requirement .

And the evidence that an ant colony does not meet this criteria is what exactly? From where, exactly, do these rights come? You? God. As I said above, if you use e-prime, almost of this discussion evaporates. It is all just a matter of what people prefer. .
Quote:

- the only ones who don't are those clinging onto life after serious accidents but lacking all consciousness. So do many animals, and presumably many alien life forms. These life forms should be granted many of the same rights as humans, as their specific needs demand.

They won't be, because there is little political will for it, but I think it is morally correct.

It is morally correct, differes from the statement "It is what I like", how exactly? Could you take some examples from the moral practices of much of the world in which fundamentalist believers of all forms live --- like as it relates to killing homosexuals for examples.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 2:04 am

Because humans declared themselves more important.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 3:21 am

I don't think it is, but it is important to ask the question, let's say you have a domestic house cat. Now assume this cat is not a house cat but a lion. Would it kill you in an instant if it got angry at you? Probably.

I have a problem with little spiders and ants. I don't like them so I kill them. I know I shouldn't but I do anyway because they make my life uncomfortable The reason I kill them is because I am selfish.

When it comes to cats, dogs, rabbits, etc, I would never think of killing one. Because I like them. Well, I guess humans are selfish.

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2016, 8:36 am

The age old question beckons;

"What does the universe favour more in the web? The spider or the fly?"

To put this in context, putting fellow members of our own species before that of others, is nothing more than survival instinct.

In a direct conflict of interest between a human & another species, I will always put that of the human first. Irrespective of it's causality.

It may be arrogance, or pride. But we as humans can & will always rise above a co-dependency of the biosphere of earth.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

Because people pay taxes and animals dont..... nuff said :ninja:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 11:34 am

Grammar Geek wrote:

Nope, it's completely logical.

Dogs are the oldest domesticated animal, and have practically evolved alongside humans. Ants are insects with a few connected neurons serving as a brain.

It's the same vein of logic that makes people value their family members over complete strangers.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 3:29 pm

Because humans say it is. Next question?

Ven_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2016, 11:22 am

I can try and tackle this issue very succinctly. *ahem*

Humans write that laws. Animals don't.

It's basically that simple. It's like the saying "life is sacred". OF COURSE IT IS! Because people who are living want to keep doing that, and anyone who disagreed died and couldn't talk about it anymore. And apparently, people don't like being murdered. Like....a shocking amount.