Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Politicum
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2016, 10:21 am

It, already controversial, has been assimilated by what was historically a Nazi front: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IG_Farben_Trial

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm

The nazis were also the first to develop liquid fueled rockets, but does that mean that space travel is evil?

I personally have nothing against Monsanto, and there is no evidence that the process of genetic modification is somehow intrinsically harmful as some people seem to suggest. It's easy to dislike stuff like that when you are not one of the people starving to death, which by the way is a problem that this sort of thing can help improve.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Sep 2016, 3:43 pm

I love genetic engineering. It's a great thing.

I used to be quite suspicious of Monsanto's business practices, but even these seem to be much less shady once you actually look into them. Anti-GE activists must know that they can't win on science so they have to trump up every whisper of a business controversy that they could use to tar the technology by association.

I don't particularly care if a business was owned by bad people 70 years ago.

YankeeGuy30
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2016, 4:32 pm

The Unconstitutional "Monsanto Protection Act" should be repealed, because it violates people's 7th Amendment constitutional rights.
And Agriculture should be legally switched over to Organic agriculture, while still allowing Municipal water irrigation, and mechanized equipment to be used.

Politicum
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2016, 12:04 am

I wasn't thinking of GE as being the worst, biopiracy is, and even then, it used to produce poison usually until it's banned... crucially, its patents on seeds raises prices unreasonably, and with less competition that could only happen more.

tanq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2016, 11:48 am

As with most corporations, Monsanto is driven by greed without regard for the harm they cause to people and the environment.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 4:01 pm

YankeeGuy30 wrote:
The Unconstitutional "Monsanto Protection Act" should be repealed, because it violates people's 7th Amendment constitutional rights.
And Agriculture should be legally switched over to Organic agriculture, while still allowing Municipal water irrigation, and mechanized equipment to be used.

Organic agriculture has lower yields than conventional agriculture, ranging from 5-34 percent lower...
http://serenoregis.org/wp-content/uploa ... e11069.pdf

And 1 in 9 persons are currently undernourished worldwide - equivalent to approx. 800 million people...
https://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

... so what exactly do you think will happen if all agriculture was switched to organic production, hmm?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2016, 5:57 pm

GGPViper wrote:
YankeeGuy30 wrote:

Organic agriculture has lower yields than conventional agriculture, ranging from 5-34 percent lower...
http://serenoregis.org/wp-content/uploa ... e11069.pdf

And 1 in 9 persons are currently undernourished worldwide - equivalent to approx. 800 million people...
https://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

... so what exactly do you think will happen if all agriculture was switched to organic production, hmm?

It's simple. We just need to cut down every rainforest. Those good-for-nothing natural habitats need to stop leeching off the nutrient-rich soils which could be used to grow rows and rows of avocados.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm

Well, I'm one of those gluten free people who do not have celiac's disease. I am also now intolerant to cow's milk. I used to be able to eat bread products and drink milk with no problem, even as a young adult, but about 10-15 years ago those things started making me pretty sick. I suspect it's from genetic engineering and being a little extra sensitive to things since I have a neurological disease.

I have often fantasized about being able to go back in time and load up on foods the way they used to be made.

Besides this, the globalization of food causes increases in poverty at local levels. Just for a small historical example of how this stuff works, read up on [b]the banana republic[b].