Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Glory be to God and Jesus Christ, our savior! :P :(

And glory to the candidate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIOD5X68lIs[/youtube]

Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2010, 8:32 pm

This is not my statement however it is a fairly valid view. I disagree with the final statement (not bolded).

Quote:
This is what happens when you introduce the bible to an already uneducated society. They are not able to be hypocrites like the american christians. The bible says not to let a witch live, it also says that a sign of a true believer in Jesus could drink poison and handle snakes and it would not hurt them. End of Mark, and in red letters to boot. People really need to get rid of there superstious ideas and grow up. Than maybe they would be so prone to con artists. Jesus and Moses=con artists!

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 3:37 pm

Flair wrote:
This is not my statement however it is a fairly valid view. I disagree with the final statement (not bolded).

Quote:
This is what happens when you introduce the bible to an already uneducated society. They are not able to be hypocrites like the american christians. The bible says not to let a witch live, it also says that a sign of a true believer in Jesus could drink poison and handle snakes and it would not hurt them. End of Mark, and in red letters to boot. People really need to get rid of there superstious ideas and grow up. Than maybe they would be so prone to con artists. Jesus and Moses=con artists!

the only reason why i wouldn't agree with the last statement is because "jesus" and "moses" are about as real (but not quite as real) as william wallace. the point, however, is still valid. jesus, moses, muhammed, whatever. "This is what happens when you introduce the bible to an already uneducated society." "People really need to get rid of [their superstitious] ideas and grow up." we're talking about superstitious doctrines designed by people who's idea of cutting edge technology was the wheel and axle combination. i'm not sure this is a reasonable source of guidance in the modern world. the point your source is making is that (the vast majority of) modern christians understand that the bible is a bunch of fantastic stories to inspire love and respect for the christian god and ideals, not literal, word for word, instructions on how to carry out your life. ...which is easy to call hypocrisy.

i've known a lot of people who call (and consider) themselves "witches." even though many of them live in conservative christian areas, because they live in the u.s., they're not all that worried that the christians will kill them. you'd probably see less philandering if people stoned adulterers. we don't stone adulterers. we've got laws against that sort of thing.

so what are the newly converted to believe? that the Word of God is to be ignored when it is inconvenient?

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

18 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

Here's one, if you want to see Christian love:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dae_1236854361
8O

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm

Bethie wrote:
Here's one, if you want to see Christian love:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dae_1236854361
8O

God will love them better when they're dead.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:56 am

This witchcraft craze in the Congo is very reminiscent of the witchcraft trials in 1700's New England. There, you had fearful, desperate people in a pre-scientific society who looked for the causes of their misery in the supernatural. The incident of the two Congolese brothers being accused of stealing their half sister's blood in order to fly at night might as well have been in old New England.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer